Register
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ok i got my marshall jtm 310 combo home. i looked inside the chassis and the transformer on the left side is burned up,litterally. it says drake on the side on a sticker and t401s and a 49.95 price sticker. now to get the transformer relaced,is that gonna cost an arm and a leg? the transformer hooks up to the wires with pins so you just plug them in no soldering.im guessing its something i shouldnt try to install. maybe i could buy the transformer myself and have it installed. .....ok second option is to make it into a extension cab. it has 2 8 ohm heritage speakers. now the amps im using say 4ohms on the extension speaker jack. ok now i have two amps im running do i run a cable to just each speaker from each amp? or should i wire the speakers together and use them with one amp? ok sorry to ramble just looking at options. peace.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I don't know about the transformer part, but I can help with the cab wiring. I will say that if the tranny is gone, there is likely other damage also. If it is just a transfomer, you are probably looking at $100-150 by the time you add labor at the most. Any good amplifier though, is usually worth fixing.

Ok, you want a 4 ohm load, and you have two 8 ohm speakers right?
    Two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel will give you four ohms total.
    To wire in parallel:

Connect the positive lead of one speaker to the other speaker. Connect the negative lead of the first speaker to the other negative also.
    You now have two speakers wired together, positive/positive, and negative/negative.

This wiring, with 8 ohm speakers will give you a four ohm total. Just connect your amp to one of the speakers and you are set.

Hope this helps.
    Roger C

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rick, what the fuck are you doing man...lol
    This could only happen to you.
    Rcrimm is right, trannies cost a few bucks, and when wiring you have to make sure "everything" is hooked up tight and just right. There's a lot of voltage in there. As rcrimm also mentioned you can be pretty sure when the tranny burned it took some other parts out with it.
    Those 310 combo's are notorious for blowing trannies and if you put another one in without checking and repairing all the circuitry it'll probably only fry again.
    If it was an old marshall it would be worth putting some cash into, but you've gotta decide where to draw the line.
    You need some electronic background to work on a chasis that can cook you and blow your fingernails off at the same time.
    I'd look for an authorized marshall dealer if you want to have it repaired properly.
    Don't do the work yourself, and if you take it in, "GET A QUOTE IN WRITING BEFORE STARTING ANY WORK WHATSOEVER"!!!

If you just want to mess with the speakers all you might do is blow them up but at least you won't kill yourself.
    For all you guys that think I'm being hard on Rick, relax, we're buds and have been down a road or two before.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

everythings cool ive already taken the chassis out and am going to use the cab as an extension cab. ive had that combo for 6 years the tranny blew back in 99 its been laying around. i read about how the trannies were always blowing on that model so i just scrapped thre chassis. hell my peavy triumphs are 15 years old and are work horses for the metal stuff i play. no worries im not tampering with the electronics. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.