Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.19.12 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rol,

According to Ed's lawyers, are you not able to stripe guitars AT ALL or is it just the fact that you can't use any color combinations that he uses.

For instance, could you stripe a guitar blue and white (legally speaking)?
    "France has neither winter, nor summer, nor morals. France is miserable because it is filled with Frenchmen, and Frenchmen are miserable because they live in France." - Mark Twain

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by BigDBoy:
    Rol,

According to Ed's lawyers, are you not able to stripe guitars AT ALL or is it just the fact that you can't use any color combinations that he uses.

They outline it all here http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/tcla.html

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by ericgtr:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BigDBoy:
    Rol,

They outline it all here http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/tcla.html</font>[/QUOTE]Sure is a lot to swallow... But I guess if you're turning a buck on behalf of Ed, it makes sense... It's kind of funny when you think about the hunk 'o shit Ed pieced together back 25 years ago, and how people spend an arm and a leg to get one nowadays

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeez...
    That makes it a bit hard on Rol!
    You know, people were sticking colored electrical tape on guitars in a 'criss cross' pattern before Ed was around....just to change the look of the guitar.
    Sounds like Ed's gotten a bit anal with age.
    That or Ray Daniels is still on the scene.
    You have my sympathies Rol.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by sean112:
    Jeez...
    You know, people were sticking colored electrical tape on guitars in a 'criss cross' pattern before Ed was around....just to change the look of the guitar.
    Think about it. Ed wanted his guitar to be different. If he wanted the style available to the masses, he would have endorsed the guitar being sold to the masses that way. I agree with Ed. It was amazing some of the pricing you would see on those Frankies. Not dissing Rol, but I saw some boards saying what a deal $1000 was for a Franky. I'm not familiar with his work outside of what he posts here, so let's keep it simple and encompass anyone who had a website selling Ed's guitar copies. Selling his style totaly goes against what Ed is about. Sure, I have made some frankenstrats and sold some, but I'm with Ed on this. I am a firm beleiver that if you want Ed's guitar, you put your blood and sweat into it just like Ed did. It really is that simple. If you can't make Ed's guitar, then you're not ready for it [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] But don't make a business out of it for the sake of doing business. Shit, this guitar, and more importantly the stripe jobs ARE Ed, and no one else. I don't see the logic in selling his style, especially if he is against it. So, he has a right to protect it. It's not like your getting a Franky "...just like George Lynch used to play!"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Here's something else to think about: Assume you win a contest to have Ed come over and jam for a couple of hours. He walks into your pad and sees replicas... What does he do? I am thinking he may offer a little nervous laughter, then turn around and book it. If he's serious enough to pay a lawyer to surf the net for replicas, then it appears to me that he is serious enough that it goes against his wishes entirely. Who knows...?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I don't really know about that. I have taped up plenty of my own guitars in my day but still don't see what the big deal is about selling one that imitates Ed's guitar. To me this is very selfish, I mean come on, they are just a few fucking stripes, how is that such a big deal. It's not like his guitar is being copied and re-sold.

So Ed came up with it and other people copied it, that's just how things go when you are popular. As far as I am concerned you mine-as-well put a copyright on cracked glass. I hope it has to do with his laywers and not Ed, I have no idea why this would bother him so much.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by ericgtr:
    I don't really know about that. I have taped up plenty of my own guitars in my day but still don't see what the big deal is about selling one that imitates Ed's guitar. To me this is very selfish, I mean come on, they are just a few fucking stripes, how is that such a big deal. It's not like his guitar is being copied and re-sold.

So Ed came up with it and other people copied it, that's just how things go when you are popular. As far as I am concerned you mine-as-well put a copyright on cracked glass. I hope it has to do with his laywers and not Ed, I have no idea why this would bother him so much.
    Dude. for all we know, Ed not wanting his stripes immitated could be something as stupid as him being afraid someone will gain his power or something..., but the point is that Ed doesn't want to share it. Right or wrong. So as his fans, we should respect that.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh for Christ sakes.. IT'S A FUCKING GUITAR! And one, I might add, that he hasnt even played in public in a FRIGGEN DECADE! I say it's public domain! It's a paint job! RELAX!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by SMUDGE NYC:
    Oh for Christ sakes.. IT'S A FUCKING GUITAR! And one, I might add, that he hasnt even played in public in a FRIGGEN DECADE! I say it's public domain! It's a paint job! RELAX!
    Public Domain is life + 70 years. You're going to be chillin' for a couple of generations Smudge [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sean112:
    Jeez...
    Think about it. Ed wanted his guitar to be different. If he wanted the style available to the masses, he would have endorsed the guitar being sold to the masses that way. I agree with Ed. It was amazing some of the pricing you would see on those Frankies. Not dissing Rol, but I saw some boards saying what a deal $1000 was for a Franky. I'm not familiar with his work outside of what he posts here, so let's keep it simple and encompass anyone who had a website selling Ed's guitar copies. Selling his style totaly goes against what Ed is about. Sure, I have made some frankenstrats and sold some, but I'm with Ed on this. I am a firm beleiver that if you want Ed's guitar, you put your blood and sweat into it just like Ed did. It really is that simple. If you can't make Ed's guitar, then you're not ready for it [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] But don't make a business out of it for the sake of doing business. Shit, this guitar, and more importantly the stripe jobs ARE Ed, and no one else. I don't see the logic in selling his style, especially if he is against it. So, he has a right to protect it. It's not like your getting a Franky "...just like George Lynch used to play!"</font>[/QUOTE]GMW, Ed Roman, East Coast Music and countless others have copied Eds guitars for over ten years,
    they sold for as much as $2000 yes that is right $2000, I started this because of that, I wanted one and wasn't going to pay that, so I made my own and people started asking me to make them,
    $1100 is what I sold them for, and when the parts cost me nearly $700 that isn't bad at all for something as close as mine were, sitting with a magnafyig glass trying to get everything as close as I could, $1100 not only was a good price it was a steal, and I made tons of people happy and even made dreams come true for some.
    Disagree if you like but here are 2 sides to everything.
    People sell there style constantly, just about everyone has a signature guitar including Ed, that's his thing too so I guess people shouldn't have that either.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SMUDGE NYC:
    I like the way that was put.

It's funny cause when Ed made the EBMM EVH's, as well as the Wolfgangs he played quilt and flame tops of each and there were a lot available to the public. They were just like the ones he played, so I'm at kind of a loss as to why he went after the striped guitars.
    I understand it was an early trademark, but he dropped it in favor of his custom made instruments.

One beef he could have made with the striped guitars is that people were making and selling them with him in mind, specifically to make a profit, like they were doing with autographed items.
    Ed doesn't like autographing guitars because of the people that just try to profit from his signature.
    I can't blame him there cause that's not the mark of a fan, just to get something signed so you can sell it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sean112:
    Jeez...
    Think about it. Ed wanted his guitar to be different. If he wanted the style available to the masses, he would have endorsed the guitar being sold to the masses that way. I agree with Ed. It was amazing some of the pricing you would see on those Frankies. Not dissing Rol, but I saw some boards saying what a deal $1000 was for a Franky. I'm not familiar with his work outside of what he posts here, so let's keep it simple and encompass anyone who had a website selling Ed's guitar copies. Selling his style totaly goes against what Ed is about. Sure, I have made some frankenstrats and sold some, but I'm with Ed on this. I am a firm beleiver that if you want Ed's guitar, you put your blood and sweat into it just like Ed did. It really is that simple. If you can't make Ed's guitar, then you're not ready for it [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] But don't make a business out of it for the sake of doing business. Shit, this guitar, and more importantly the stripe jobs ARE Ed, and no one else. I don't see the logic in selling his style, especially if he is against it. So, he has a right to protect it. It's not like your getting a Franky "...just like George Lynch used to play!"</font>[/QUOTE]GMW, Ed Roman, East Coast Music and countless others have copied Eds guitars for over ten years,
    they sold for as much as $2000 yes that is right $2000, I started this because of that, I wanted one and wasn't going to pay that, so I made my own and people started asking me to make them,
    $1100 is what I sold them for, and when the parts cost me nearly $700 that isn't bad at all for something as close as mine were, sitting with a magnafyig glass trying to get everything as close as I could, $1100 not only was a good price it was a steal, and I made tons of people happy and even made dreams come true for some.
    Disagree if you like but here are 2 sides to everything.
    People sell there style constantly, just about everyone has a signature guitar including Ed, that's his thing too so I guess people shouldn't have that either.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Simply put, it's Ed's design to sell, not yours. No two sides to that... As for others having sig guitars and you remark, I presumed you were slightly more educated than your remark implies. Ed does have endorsements with Peavey and previous endorsements with Kramer and Ernie Ball. He approved and was involved with the design and production, and he was duly compensated. He did not approve the stripe design for commercial purposes for his own reasons. ROTFLMFAO You think you can profit from it just because you magnified Ed's stripes and "made dreams come true"??? You take the cake man... With fans like you, no wonder Ed doesn't come out and play [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] You were right... always the salesman [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SMUDGE NYC:
    I like the way that was put.

It's funny cause when Ed made the EBMM EVH's, as well as the Wolfgangs he played quilt and flame tops of each and there were a lot available to the public. They were just like the ones he played, so I'm at kind of a loss as to why he went after the striped guitars.
    I understand it was an early trademark, but he dropped it in favor of his custom made instruments.

One beef he could have made with the striped guitars is that people were making and selling them with him in mind, specifically to make a profit, like they were doing with autographed items.
    Ed doesn't like autographing guitars because of the people that just try to profit from his signature.
    I can't blame him there cause that's not the mark of a fan, just to get something signed so you can sell it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]That's what I'm saying. You said it fucking beautifully. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    Simply put, it's Ed's design to sell, not yours. No two sides to that...
    Dude, they are stripes for Christ's Sake. Fuck man, how can a guy put a fucking patent on stripes [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] This is nothing directed at you el_jalepeno but Jesus, all they are is stripes, who in their right mind gives a rats ass if someone wants to use them.