Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not really one to spam people's email, and I have never used ebay other than to window shop, but I came across this and I know how a lot of you guys like to get involved with E-bay con-artists. I think this is about the worst I've seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=911024032

[ October 03, 2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Prages ]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ain't seeing it

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Are those Grover tuners? Come On' there at least worth the extra $400.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

Me neither, what's the scam?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Holy shite!!!....says Janitor Willy. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

That Korean Special should be a $500 guitar BRAND NEW, let alone carry a 'Buy It Now' price of $850.

Holy smokes!!!

I just politely emailed a guy today about his Wolf QT. Told him he might want to add that it's a Wolf Spec. QT in the description, and that it looked great. We'll see what happens. The pricing was "reasonable" ($550) either way, but I still feel it's your duty to advertise appropriately.

This new guy, however,......sheesh.....$850. We do live in the land of opportunity, eh? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a scam only if your not informed enough about the Wolfgang series and you actually pay $850 using Buy it Now. It's the Korean made QT Wolfgang Special and NOT the USA made Special.
    For one, the USA FT Specials aren't offered in Blue. However the Korean QT version is. Notice the top is quilt and not flamed. This is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the import Wolfgangs. It's getting difficult for the general consumer to know what Wolfgang is what.

T

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Well, here is what I emailed the gentleman. We'll see how he responds:

Isn't that a Korean Wolfgang Special QT, the one not endorsed by Edward Van Halen?

(The one that doesn't have his signature on the back of the peg head, has a thin laminate top, and differently constructed hardware and pickups)

Let me know if that's accurate or not. If that is indeed the Korean model, it would probably be best if that was indicated in the advertisement, but that's just my 2 cents.

The guitar looks great, by the way.

- Maj
    I didn't beat around the bush as much as usual, I'm sort of getting tired of this. Anyway, I've contributed my 2 cents.

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even though he doesn't state that it's the Korean model, he doesn't say it's the USA version either.

T

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just referring to the fact the the "buy it now" price is $300 more than you can buy the Wolfgang QT Special for new. I suppose that it is only a rip off if you don't know what you're bidding on, but not everybody in the world is as knowledgable about the Wolfgang series guitars as the EVH fans here. I'm certainly not saying that it isn't a beautiful guitar and at the actual market price of $550 it seems to be a pretty good buy, but when this guy has a "Buy it Now" price of $850 for a guitar that sells new for $550, he's obviously just trying to pull one over on some unsuspecting buyer.

I'm surprised there is such a mixed reaction to this. I've seen a lot of people here up in arms over Ebay issues that don't seem near as shady.

Oh well, you can never tell how people will react until you try it.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey Prages,

Don't think you've wasted anyone's time. But at the end of the day, the guitar's only worth what someone will pay for it.

Before I started the other thread in here, I wouldn't have known what was wrong with it (i.e. wouldn't have realised it was NOT a USA model).

However, one thing I'd like to add that I don't know if anyone else here has picked up on, and this is giving the seller the benefit of the doubt...

...what if he doesn't ow whether it is a USA or Korean model himself, and got ripped off himself and is just selling it at the same price he paid for it ?

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...what if he doesn't ow whether it is a USA or Korean model himself, and got ripped off himself and is just selling it at the same price he paid for it ?
    He's old enough to sell on ebay, which means he has a credit card, which means he's probably very much aware of what it is in terms of the manufacturing. From the way he describes it, he knows what he's doing.
    Even if he got scammed, it doesn't excuse him for trying to do it to someone else.
    It's because of guys like that, that everyone has to be on their guard on ebay constantly.
    I don't believe that guitar is worth anywhere near 500, let alone 550, but I've been down that road before so I'll leave it alone.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> ...what if he doesn't ow whether it is a USA or Korean model himself, and got ripped off himself and is just selling it at the same price he paid for it ?
    He's old enough to sell on ebay, which means he has a credit card, which means he's probably very much aware of what it is in terms of the manufacturing. From the way he describes it, he knows what he's doing.
    Even if he got scammed, it doesn't excuse him for trying to do it to someone else.
    It's because of guys like that, that everyone has to be on their guard on ebay constantly.
    I don't believe that guitar is worth anywhere near 500, let alone 550, but I've been down that road before so I'll leave it alone.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hey tribb,

I don't think you fully got what I meant. I meant to say that he could have got ripped off himself, but doesn't know he got ripped off, and is just selling it on at what he paid for, still unaware that it is a rip off.

I'm old enough to sell on e-bay, and until today wouldn't have known the difference between USA and Korean models (see panic ridden state in other thread). [img]smile.gif[/img]

So, if it had come to the point where I had to sell the Wolfgang I own, assuming it was a Korean, then I'd probably have described it like he has, and been none the wiser myself.

I'm just talking hypothetically here, and he probably is a con artist , but I'm just trying to see if maybe this could be the scenario ?

Either way, it looks like he's now been put to rights...

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mondola, don't take it personally bud. It wasn't an attack at you.
    I just think he's stepping over the line, and misrepresenting the sale.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

tribb,

I've learnt never to take anything seriously, especially on the internet.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

I just didn't know if you'd understood me, that's all. Apologies if I came across like a Rottweiler !

Just trying to see if he could possibly be genuine before we jumped all over him.

But I'm definitely not in a piss !

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

......for the record, guys, he replied to me yesterday, apologized, and said he'd change the listing, although I've yet to witness the changes.