Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had heard old egg cartons work well

An old barn I played in.........had coffee bean bags stapled to the ceiling. The place sounded awesome......I sold the house a year ago and I am without a place to give my 5150 a workout...

[ July 06, 2002, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: jimmy ]
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is a cut and paste from a thread that I posted in at Harmony Central:

I just did this over the winter. I did a heck of a lot of reading before I tackled the project. I had some limited construction experience, although I am proficient in such things. Much like reading the great suggestions from the more experienced member of this forum, you will quickly see that all of the suggestions are just not practical for your needs.

That being said, this is what I did:

I used 1 space of a 2-car garage. It had to be shortened lengthwise because of room for the garage door and the entry door to the house (which happened to be on the only side that I could use for the studio). This left a dismal 9x12 area for a 4-piece, but a challenge I was willing to take.

I took the “room within a room” approach, but due to my limited space, had to have one common wall to the outside (the biggest compromise of the project). The studio itself is anchored into the cement with 2x4’s, but where it meets the common wall, it is only anchored at the top with old motor mounts (that’s right, from a car). The ceiling is completely free from the existing garage cross members with about a ½” separation. That means that the whole studio rests on the cement and only touches the house structure in 2 sound isolated points.

I also took the offset stud idea, but I had to modify it. The idea here is that when you have studs with drywall on both sides, you can fill the spaces all you want, but vibration will travel from the interior to the exterior directly through the joists, greatly reducing the effectiveness of any insulation that is in between the studs. Normally, this is done by assembling a 6” wide wall and having the 2x4 studs spaced the normal 8” apart (staggered). When installed you put one on the exterior side, the next on the interior side, etc. Therefore, only where there are corners, ceilings, and floors do the interior studs touch the exterior. In these areas, however, the studs are reinforced. My modifications involved the limited space, so I used made the walls the width of a 2x4, a rotated the studs 90 degrees so the wide sides faced the interiors and exteriors, and I spaced them at 12” (keep in mind that this structure did not have to bear much weight itself, so it is still very structurally sound).

Since every wall (well, object, for that matter) has a resonate frequency (something very often overlooked in such a project), I used ½” drywall on the inside, and 5/8” drywall on the outside. That help with resonate bass notes that are transmitted through the interior wall from effecting it’s matching exterior wall the same way. Insulation thickness in these walls is just the standard R13 stuff as taking away too much free space in the walls (by using a thicker insulation) would be contradictory in this application. I did use 2 layers of insulation on the ceiling (one layer in the studios ceiling and another between the existing garage joists), and I did put ply above the garage joists creating a deep insulation layer (+ - 7”) while keeping the ceilings from touching.

Everything above refers to sound “containment,” but now I had a very loud reflective chamber to deal with. I had a cement floor and walls covered with sheetrock. I sealed everything (including electrical boxes and such), then added ½” soundboard from Home Depot. This stuff is cheap and does an amazing job. On top of that, I added foam insulation (the egg crate type) everywhere. Some careful shopping can yield good prices on this stuff (I found 4’ by 8’ sheets for $26 each). I used a thin carped pad, and I used the cheap Home Depot carpet to cover the floor. I did do the double-door idea, but in keeping with the resonate frequency idea, I used 2 different types of doors. The exterior door is solid, then I used a cheaper hollow door for the inside. The interior door got a layer of foam on the outside (where it meets the solid door), a sheet of ½” soundboard on the inside, topped with a layer of foam. Both doors are weather-sealed. The sound that I lose through the doors is negligible.

Since space was an issue for our 4 ½ piece band (I do double duty), all amps went up high. I built simple custom cabinets in each corner where I have our monitors mounted (all speakers rest on ¾” rubber mats and tilt downward, being held in by rubber bungees (with safety stops in case of bungee failure)). This was the second largest compromise as speakers hanging from walls will always transmit some sound, but once again, it is negligible. There is also a subwoofer in the room and the system is x-overed. The whole subwoofer idea pulls double duty and actually saves us room. Our drummer is used to fitting on a single 4’x8’ ply riser. I build a sub that is 11 ¾” tall and 8’ wide. Once face is angled to hold 2 15” speakers (making it 10” wide at the top, 24” at the bottom). It is sealed (if anyone wants to know how I came to coming up with this design I can share it on another post). It sits on the floor with the riser on top. The front of the riser is held up with our milk crate type storage containers (serving as storage as well) full of our cables and such. By pulling the low end out of the suspended monitors and throwing them on the floor, we get containable sound transmission through the walls.

This is getting rather long winded, so I will stop here. If any feels that any of these suggestions may help, please email me (tedtrep@hotmail.com) and I will be glad to get into detail (after all, electrical and ventilation are HUGE in this project). I also have some websites that are beneficial for this stuff. I hope that someone benefits from this!

Here are some (not so clear) pics of the final product:
    http://www.biasbier.com/studio/studio.html

There are a few more pics here jamming in the studio with my buddies from the Links (this is Wolfman's site):
    http://home.insightbb.com/~theflying.../calipics3.htm

Here is the absolute cheapest place to buy foam that I could find:

http://www.knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/Soft....htm?E+scstore

[ July 06, 2002, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: tripoutski ]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

need advice on whats a good way for this. my bands practice room is a small, 12'x12' approximately room. the ceiling is about 7 feet. we have the floor carpeted. but we need to soundproof the room some since were on the main floor and evening out the accoustics would be good too. were thinking off getting studiofoam for the walls. any other advice is welcomed and does anyone know where to get the studiofoam cheap? besides marsmusic or musicians freind? thanks guys.

[ July 06, 2002, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Rick S ]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This was one site I found when I was thinking of soundproofing my bands practice space in my old place I was renting. Didn't actually order, so I can't give much feedback about it. But you can enter your dimensions and they have two grades of acoustic foam to choose from:
    http://www.foamorder.com
    This is the sound proofing foam section:
    http://www.foamorder.com/products.cg...&item=acoustic
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980