Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who here plays pieces by the tab or by ear? I've had this discussion with Jalepeno before. He doesn't use tab. But I know some of us do. As I've gotten better I tend not to rely on tab as much because your ear gets better. And tab is not always right. Hey Jalepeno remember Vai's transcription of Eruption?
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

About 99% of the stuff I know, I learned by ear. There is a lot to be said for having a good ear. Developing my ear took several years of listening to and watching my old guitar teacher figure things out by ear. After a few years, you can really distinguish things like where on the fretboard something is played based not only on the particular riff mechanics, but also by the tone of the notes. Open strings are generally brighter sounding and ring out longer and clearer than fretted notes, etc, etc, etc.

A lot of times, I can't follow along with what the tab is telling me to do. The tab isn't neccessarily wrong, but I just don't hear some songs the same way the tab says to play them. In a case where my ear and the tab disagree, I always go with my ear. I would rather play something 'incorrectly' and have it sound good to me, than play it note for note and have it sound bad.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.06.06 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agreed !

i studied classical music for a little while and i'd listen to the piece i had to learn and i'd just learn it how i wanted to and i'd get WHOOPED for it cause you have to be so precise and everything ...

but things like van halen you have to be like that otherwise it sounds unnatural ... big part of the vh sound is that . i dunno .. sortof sloppy drunk feel he has which you can only really nail by ear ..

when learning a new song though i like to combine a bit of both ... listen to the song a few times and kinda figure it out by ear in my head then go through the tab along with a recording or something ... it's heaps easier and faster for me ...

Rich

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there,

This is an issue for me. I have a bad ear, and can't hear very high sounds or very low sounds. I never hear the cymbals you see.

Because of this, I think this is why I find it increasingly difficult to distinguish things by ear.

I've had a few successes with easy things like Oasis songs and the such. But things like Van Halen and songs with shit-loads of effects on them, I just can't figure out.

That's why I go to the tab. But then I encounter Prages stuff whereby I don't hear the song as it is tabbed out (maybe because my ears are screwed, I dunno).

So, basically, I am knackered either way !

[img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

06.24.15 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by mondola:
    Hi there,

This is an issue for me. I have a bad ear, and can't hear very high sounds or very low sounds. I never hear the cymbals you see.

Because of this, I think this is why I find it increasingly difficult to distinguish things by ear.

I've had a few successes with easy things like Oasis songs and the such. But things like Van Halen and songs with shit-loads of effects on them, I just can't figure out.

That's why I go to the tab. But then I encounter Prages stuff whereby I don't hear the song as it is tabbed out (maybe because my ears are screwed, I dunno).

So, basically, I am knackered either way !

[img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Try this: Play along with song and you can tell when your in the key of the song when start hear like things are in stereo there is a chorus sound like a chime you got it. and the more and more you do this you get better at it. The songs will get easier. Actually Van Halen is not that hard to figure by ear at least some of his main riffs. But solos may take a little more effort.
    "Well, he's an intelligent, well-read guy. But it's like he can't connect the dots somehow." (EVH Guitar World, March 1998).

GP: "Did you use a pick for "Spanish Fly"?

EVH: "Yeah, except for the part near the end that sounds like Montoya or something."

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a mixture of music notation, tab and ear

The notation to see what the tune looks like, the flow and time sig

The tab so's i know where me fingers go

And the ear so's i can get a feel of whats goin' on with the above

I cant really use one without the others

Does that make sense ... [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've sort of done this a few times. A few notes I play will sound in key (I'll get that chorus chime that you're talking about).

But then other ones will be completely out.

I guess it's just the speed of the song that throws me with the key changes.

But I'll try it out and keep at it...

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.22.13 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a mixture of both as well. I play in a cover band, and typically we learn about 3 new songs a week, so the first thing I do is look for a tab. If I can't find any or any that are halfway decent, I'll do it by ear. A lot of times the tabs that you find on the net aren't that great anyway, but it's a good starting point. It took me several years before I could finally figure out songs by ear. It's one of the best skills you can have as a guitar player, or a musician for that matter. But for speed, I go for the tab, then rely on my ears for backup. Works pretty well for me.

Eric

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use both.
    Tab is very handy for working out a piece that has two guitars in it or if the music is very busy (lots of different things going on).
    eg.When I was a full on Metallica fan I could work out things like 'Seek and Destroy' by ear but used tab for things like the clean parts of 'One'. The tone on the two guitars was the same so it was hard to tell which was which.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by mondola:
    I've sort of done this a few times. A few notes I play will sound in key (I'll get that chorus chime that you're talking about).

But then other ones will be completely out.

I guess it's just the speed of the song that throws me with the key changes.

But I'll try it out and keep at it...

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    If you learn the musical structure of a song first, you'll find the solos are pretty logical. Learn the riffs and where the key changes are, then solo over each section of the song. Once you know that you're using the right scales the actual solo 9 times out of 10 becomes learning the particular licks, not the scale or theory behind it. This way you can break the song down into logical chunks that make sense to you.

If you're using tab, try to understand what the theory is that built the song. Tab without an understanding of the theory is like walking blind to me. When I first got serious about playing guitar my teacher was very quick to point that out. I'd play a song, or part of it for him and he'd ask me why they wrote that song that way, and what they could have done instead. That kind of sucked at the begining but it helped me a ton.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Prages:
    ...I would rather play something 'incorrectly' and have it sound good to me, than play it note for note and have it sound bad.
    Exactly what Cabo was saying about Vai's "Eruption". It was too out of whack for me to grasp, so I did it by ear. I think I nail it pretty close, heh Cabo? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had Theory in college so I read music. I also play by ear. Tab comes in handy once in a while.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.06.06 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A program that can really really help with playing by ear and following tab is guitar pro .. has anyone used this ? ... it plays the tab to you in midi and can also have drums synth bass whatever .. it's really good it helped me out a great deal .

because it plays ti back to you if your ear isn't that strong you can still hear if theres a mistake in the tab and make little adjustments accordingly ...

[ January 13, 2003, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Stiglar ]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll learn simple stuff by ear but for more complicated stuff i look over the tab because there's usually a whole fuckloads of notes in there that are too subtle to notice most of the time

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

First 6
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm not proud, I'll use tab.

But I figure most stuff out by ear. Whoever said he turns the radio on and plays along is right - thats an incredible way to develop your ear.

I'm pretty good at nailing different chord voicings. But for solos, my big problem is not being able to hear all the individual notes the guy is playing - either cause he's playin super fast, or a little sloppy. But I'm usually able to get the overall vibe of it across.

Anyway, I don't consider using tab as cheating. Playin music is playin music - do it however you want as far as I'm concerned.