Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious...
    1. I know guitars are made of ash, alder, mahogany, basswood, koa, poplar, etc., but are any made of oak? It would be heavy as hell, but so is mahogany. Anybody know of an oak guitar?
    2. What purpose do humbucker pickup covers serve? Do they affect the sound or are they just for looks?

Thanks [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I built a guitar out of oak once. It was sort of like a downsized Tele shape. I scaled the body size down to keep it from being 50 lbs. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'd like to be able to tell you how it sounded, but the truth is, I used horrible parts (leftovers from various guitars...carvin pups and a really low end Ibanez neck). I didn't even get the bridge and tailpiece placed correctly on it, so not only was the neck shimmed quite a bit, but the intonation couldn't be made right.

I ended up gutting the body after only playing around with it for a few weeks.

It looked really cool though. If I had done a better job and used better components, it probably would have been a nice guitar.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Those godawful Peavey T-models were made of oak. Ugly as sin, heavy as hell, and not worth shit to begin with.

Of course, Brian May's original homemade axe had some oak in it as well if I remember right.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by P1:
    Just curious...
    1. I know guitars are made of ash, alder, mahogany, basswood, koa, poplar, etc., but are any made of oak? It would be heavy as hell, but so is mahogany. Anybody know of an oak guitar?
    2. What purpose do humbucker pickup covers serve? Do they affect the sound or are they just for looks?

Thanks [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    another wood that would be interesting to try is lace wood, it has a super cool purplish tiger stripe pattern in it, and It's not all that heavy
    I think I just might try my own line with that wood.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Prages:
    I built a guitar out of oak once. It was sort of like a downsized Tele shape. I scaled the body size down to keep it from being 50 lbs. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'd like to be able to tell you how it sounded, but the truth is, I used horrible parts (leftovers from various guitars...carvin pups and a really low end Ibanez neck). I didn't even get the bridge and tailpiece placed correctly on it, so not only was the neck shimmed quite a bit, but the intonation couldn't be made right.

I ended up gutting the body after only playing around with it for a few weeks.

It looked really cool though. If I had done a better job and used better components, it probably would have been a nice guitar.
    oh and the pickup cover were just for looks, they
    didn't want exposed coils so they dressed them up.
    Rol.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Well, depending on who you ask, wood does not make a signifigant difference on an electric guitar, but I believe otherwise. The other woods you mentioned are good "tone woods". Oak, while attractive is not a good tone wood. It has a lot to do with the density and the way the wood grains are patterned. Certian woods resonate better than others. That's problably why the T series Peavey guitars sounded like shit.

As for the pickup cover, I believe that it does slightly affect the sound of the pickup. I hate to disagree with rol, because the guy definately knows what he's talking about.
    The reason would be because the magnetic field generated by the pole pieces do not follow the same pattern across the strings when a metal pickup cover is added, and the way the string vibrates across the magnetic field is where all the pickups sound comes from.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.