Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone he hear know how much of a difference is there in sound,quality an feel between a Korian Peavy Wolfgang and one in the U.S.? I was thinking about getting a Korian made one but I don't know if I should just go for a used U.S.one?Is there anyone out there who has played or owns both kind?
    roth and roll

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This has been the subject of much debate lately. The general opinion being that the USA models are much better made.

However, I can't remember anyone talking about the actual differences in sound yet.

Most of the differences were cosmetic.

From what I can remember :

1) Korean Wolfgangs have that quilt top finish not seen on USA ones
    2) There is a difference in thickness between the finish on the Korean Wolfgang and the USA Wolfgang (think the USA is 1/4" thick and the Korean is 1/8" thick from memory)
    3) USA is endorsed by EVH, Korean model is not
    4) EVH signature on back of headstock of USA models, does not appear on the back of Korean models
    5) Korean model headstock is slightly smaller than the USA models.

Like I say, this is what I can remember from what I have heard on here, but I cannot vouch for how they sound...

Hope this helps.

===============================================

Additional

Take a look at this thread that I started :

So, are these decent Wolfgangs ?

[ October 15, 2002, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: mondola ]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2) There is a difference in thickness between the finish on the Korean Wolfgang and the USA Wolfgang (think the USA is 1/4" thick and the Korean is 1/8" thick from memory)

*I believe you are referring to the TOP, not the finish here.

3)USA is endorsed by EVH, Korean model is not

*There is no such thing as a Wolfgang which is NOT endorsed by Eddie Van Halen.

[ October 15, 2002, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: rcrimm ]
    Roger C

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Right, but it doesn't have his signature on the back, and whether we like it or not, that's a noteworthy point.

The guitars also supposedly sound very different different, and have differently manufactured hardware (tuners, bridge, etc.).

Ultimately, the guy should try one out in a store, if at all possible.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by rcrimm:

*I believe you are referring to the TOP, not the finish here.

3)USA is endorsed by EVH, Korean model is not

*There is no such thing as a Wolfgang which is NOT endorsed by Eddie Van Halen.
    Yep, with # 2, that is exactly what I meant.

With #3, I'm just reiterating something that I heard here....

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Majestic:
    Right, but it doesn't have his signature on the back, and whether we like it or not, that's a noteworthy point.

The guitars also supposedly sound very different different, and have differently manufactured hardware (tuners, bridge, etc.).

Ultimately, the guy should try one out in a store, if at all possible.
    Top suggestion !!!

That is exactly the way I came to buy my Wolfgang. Go to the shop and try out as many guitars as you like (within your budget).

Then come away with the one that is best for you. Sod what anyone else thinks !

[img]smile.gif[/img]

I agree that it's the only way to find out which one you like the best.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Korean factory does not have the branding machine used to create the signature. From what I understand they may be getting, or already have the machine.

Oh yeah, forget that..it's a conspiracy, and we just slipped the Korean model by Ed in the first place...

[ October 15, 2002, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: rcrimm ]
    Roger C

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by rcrimm:
    The Korean factory does not have the branding machine used to create the signature. From what I understand they may be getting, or already have the machine.

Oh yeah, forget that..it's a conspiracy, and we just slipped the Korean model by Ed in the first place...
    Dude, I was just reiterating what has already been posted on here by someone else, and I can't be assed to find out who.

I really know nothing about them at all, just what I have found here. So I passed on.

Chill out mate. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Alot
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few months ago (May) I walked into a music store I hardly ever go into. I saw a Wolfgang on the wall and just had to play it. It's the coolest Trans Red guitar with a one piece Curly maple top (big huge stripes) I ever saw! I played it and noticed it did need a setup, but I know how to do that. The price new was 479.00 I flipped out and bought it on the spot! (At this point I didn't know there was these Korean versions and thought wow what a good deal) I loved and still love the sound of it. I have been playing over 25 years and have had over 200 guitars, no kidding!

I took the guitar home and worked it over, Set the intonation, adjusted the neck and washed the crap out of it and reoiled the neck fretboard and buffed it as well as the back of the neck too. The neck was not that nice at first but it plays real nice now. I was so happy I tracked down this web sight and have been following along with topics ever since. I just want to reply:

#1 Yes the Korean wolfgangs are for the most part ok. It would be better with a real hardened steal floyd.
    #2 They do sound very nice. (beefy but clear)
    #3 Now I will someday get a USA model cause I just want one with the arch top and a real floyd. I might get a new floyd for this one just cause the wood is so cool and it plays great and would be kick butt then!
    #4 Remember you get what you pay for. If you like the color of one and you get the right deal, go for it. BUT if you do have the Cash...(from what I have read) buy a real usa made one, in the long run it will save you money. Lucky I know how to shim necks and set intonation and bla bla bla

I hope this helps

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Does anybody find it strange that these still haven't made it to the Peavey website except in the "New Products" section? They are out there.

Also, has anybody seen one of these in a hardtail? I play rhythm in an AC/DC cover band, and since I don't have a Gretsch, I was playing a Hamer double cutaway. Had the same sorta look. By accident, I brought my Wolfgang to practice one time, and everybody wanted me to keep playing it. But here lately, I've been playing the Hamer because I like to keep 9's on the Wolf, and I use 12s for the serious rhythm playing. I'd jump at one of these if I could find a hardtail. 'Course my other wolf has a floyd, and I con't think it would wear out if you don't use it. Hmmm....

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tried out an amber quilt at Sam Ash once...

First off, the D-tuna was way fuckin off, which can be fixed.

-2. The Floyd looked pretty cheap...The whang bar attachment is much different than the Wolf, and the operation of the trem unit was stiff and unpleasant.

-3. The black paint in the pickup cavities went as much as 1/8-1/4" or more out into the quilt top, which is a very fair estimate.

-4. The sound quality is inherent that the pickups are indeed the same pickups, but the height looked a little off as compared to some of the Wolf specials and Wolf standards in the store. As far as the sonic qualities of the instrument, I don't think it's a terrible guitars.

Conclusion-My view is that while not ALL Korean manufactured instruments have poor quality control, something as shotty as having the black paint showin that far out into the maple top is unacceptable for the price. And taking the trem unit into consideration, It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy a KOR Wolf over at all. And it'd be a cold day in hell before I bought one of those dogs over a used Wolf special, or standard off Ebay...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

There are plenty of used american models out there. For an extra $100.00 or $200.00 you should be able to get the real deal. I'd look into that first.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since Samick makes 70% of the worlds guitars, does Samick make the Korean Wolfie for Peavey?

[ October 18, 2002, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: lovemachine97 ]