Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.28.14 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Just me with my daily Q's. Hope I'm not becoming a pest, but there's a wealth of info here, and I need it !

So, when you start your taping, do you guys generally freehand your stripes on a 5150 copy? I've acquired several good clear pics from the net that I can use to crib from. One other thought I had was to print some pics out, and then rent one of those ELMO projectors, hang the body on the wall, and actually project the real 5150 onto my body (well, not my body...). That way, I could use the projected image as a precise guide.

Anyway, as always, I'd love to hear your tips, tricks, and techniques. Thanks guys! And if I'm getting to be a pest, just tell me. This is just a lot of fun for an old guy. Makes me feel like I'm 16 again!
    January 5, 2005 - Resurrection

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by only letters and numbers:
    Just me with my daily Q's. Hope I'm not becoming a pest, but there's a wealth of info here, and I need it !

So, when you start your taping, do you guys generally freehand your stripes on a 5150 copy? I've acquired several good clear pics from the net that I can use to crib from. One other thought I had was to print some pics out, and then rent one of those ELMO projectors, hang the body on the wall, and actually project the real 5150 onto my body (well, not my body...). That way, I could use the projected image as a precise guide.

Anyway, as always, I'd love to hear your tips, tricks, and techniques. Thanks guys! And if I'm getting to be a pest, just tell me. This is just a lot of fun for an old guy. Makes me feel like I'm 16 again!
    You can use points on the guitar for reference, like what's coming from the neck pocket to the pickup cavity and so on... I'm sure there is someone out there who did the exact measuring. For me, building any Ed strummer is about the fun of doing it like Ed did. When you get so technical about copying the stripes exactly to where under a microscope you can see the flaws, it really goes against what Ed was about. That's why he added the red to his black and white... That's just my take on it though [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] If it's not fun with or without EXACT measurements, then you're robbing yourself... Of course, don't make a shitty looking guitar either!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can use points on the guitar for reference, like what's coming from the neck pocket to the pickup cavity and so on... I'm sure there is someone out there who did the exact measuring. For me, building any Ed strummer is about the fun of doing it like Ed did. When you get so technical about copying the stripes exactly to where under a microscope you can see the flaws, it really goes against what Ed was about. That's why he added the red to his black and white... That's just my take on it though If it's not fun with or without EXACT measurements, then you're robbing yourself... Of course, don't make a shitty looking guitar either!
    Well said.
    If you look at Ed's stripers I don't think any 2 were exactly alike. I think it's only the guys that are trying to get an exact copy of a certain guitar that worry about how many millimeters this stripe is away from the other one. Seems a bit anal to me, and it's something I know Ed never worried about.
    The stripes themselves are the identifying factor, regardless of exactly how they're placed on the body.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />You can use points on the guitar for reference, like what's coming from the neck pocket to the pickup cavity and so on... I'm sure there is someone out there who did the exact measuring. For me, building any Ed strummer is about the fun of doing it like Ed did. When you get so technical about copying the stripes exactly to where under a microscope you can see the flaws, it really goes against what Ed was about. That's why he added the red to his black and white... That's just my take on it though If it's not fun with or without EXACT measurements, then you're robbing yourself... Of course, don't make a shitty looking guitar either!
    Well said.
    If you look at Ed's stripers I don't think any 2 were exactly alike. I think it's only the guys that are trying to get an exact copy of a certain guitar that worry about how many millimeters this stripe is away from the other one. Seems a bit anal to me, and it's something I know Ed never worried about.
    The stripes themselves are the identifying factor, regardless of exactly how they're placed on the body.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Precisely! It's the stripes themselves that will have Ed's lawyers barking down your door

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by only letters and numbers:

I made a template and layed it over the guitar, everything was real close,
    you had to get a ruler out if you wanted to see a difference, but that was the point, I made replicas, a stripe a 1\2" off the mark doesn't cut it for me,but that is why people came to me to do them, they wanted exact as can be copies, my opinion is if your making a replica then do it right, if your just gonna throw stipes on the guitar then it's not a replica of the 5150,
    it's just a striped guitar , point being what's the hurry ? so it takes a good nights work instead of 10 minutes to stripe it off and in the end you'll have a damn close replica which is what you wanted in the first place right ?.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.25.16 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used a picture I found online that someone had taken of the 5150, and they had actually taken measurements of the widths of the tape and the angles of the intersections and labeled it all nicely...

... and then I mostly ignored the measurements and angles, and just used the picture to eyeball it
    Brendan

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i didnt bother!
    i just made up my own stripe pattern, more of a tribute than a copy..people still know where im coming from with it, the second one i built wasn't even the same colours, i used orange and silver...again a tribute that people still recognise....the point is, most people seeing the guitar will recognise it because it has stripes on it, not nessersarily how the stripes are arranged. so my advice is do it your own way.

tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

05.20.09 @ 03:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Sort of free hand

I did these stripes with a different technique than normal.

Traditionaly you spray the stripe color then mask the lines. My graphic buddy introuduced me to this method of spraying the lines.

What I did was have them cut with a vinyl plotter on a mask. The amount of paint I used was about a thimbull cut with thinner in my airbrush. A few light passes of pearl paint was all it took.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

An exact copy would just look fake. I dunno- just do the best you can whilst keeping within the spirit of Eddie's guitars- he just would wing it with each guitar.