Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i really like looking at some of the wolf models available out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=934567073

this one i think is very cool looking.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, that's a sweet one. Thing is, I love my Wolfie, and I can't imagine why anybody would want to sell them the way they do.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wolf, i so know what you mean.

i go to music stores on the weekends to play various guitars ... y'know, just to see and have some fun and nothing plays, feels and sounds quite like a wolf.

you'll get my wolf if you can pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Wolfman:
    Yeah, that's a sweet one. Thing is, I love my Wolfie, and I can't imagine why anybody would want to sell them the way they do.
    Simply because there are so many better sounding and better playing guitars out there that don't cost as much.
    Ed came out with the wolf before his last tour, which was a disaster. It was the first time I'd heard other guitarists as well as non players state openly that his sound was awful.
    Based on that little bit of visual publicity though, suddenly everyone started seeing the Wolfgang as "the" VH guitar, even though Ed played different renditions of it, with different bodies, and possibly p/u's, and even that didn't help the sound.
    It was also easily and quickly available to the public, so no one had to stop and think about it. There was very little to no waiting time so you could go out and get "Ed's guitar" right away, based solely on the fact that Ed was seen playing them.
    Now Peavey expects you to pay upwards of 2700. for a quilt top, which is a lot more than a much more rare EBMM EVH (the real thing, which plays and sounds better) costs, based on a guitar that was played for one bad tour 5 years ago.
    Peavey started (still is) cranking them out and people started buying them because it's the last guitar Ed was seen using "publicly".
    After awhile those same buyers realize that although it has a decent neck, but nothing special, the rest of the guitar leaves quite a bit to be desired and look for, or find something better to make their own mark in music.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[ January 01, 2003, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: lil'devil ]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i have to admit that after playing my wolf special thru differnt rigs. that i cant stand basswood bodies anymore. i think if the body were mahagony or swamp ash itd be better but the price would sky rocket. i cant help but think basswood is more cost effective than a great tone wood.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

tribbster, I see what you're saying, but I have to add that most of us that buy a Wolf don't buy a $2700 custom flame-top. I think that a basic Wolf special for around $700 (average) is a hell of a bargain and great sound for the money. It's strictly within those parameters that I don't understand the selling part. I mean, if someone finds a guitar that they like better, that's great - but I don't see the Wolf as entirely expendable in order to get something else. It's a good workhorse guitar with nice tone when it's run through the proper rig. I certainly don't see it as the "ultimate" guitar by any means (that would be the EVH EBMM [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

I do agree that the manic production methods have devalued the guitar, but I also think that the earlier models (got mine when the first run came out)stand up great for the money (again, 700 is what I paid).

[ January 01, 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Rick S:
    i have to admit that after playing my wolf special thru differnt rigs. that i cant stand basswood bodies anymore. i think if the body were mahagony or swamp ash itd be better but the price would sky rocket. i cant help but think basswood is more cost effective than a great tone wood.
    I can dig that, but that's my point - every guitar is going to sound different through different rigs. My strat that I modded with EMG's sounds great with my rig the way I've got it set up, but I've played it through other people's rigs and hated it. For example, I can see the Wolf sounding wretched through a solid-state setup, but I love it through all-tube gear. Hell, just about everything sounds tinny and sick through a solid-state amp, but then again, I'm biased. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I will have to say this, I bought a wolfgang because I was a Van Halen fan. Now, as a guitarist, I don't play it anymore. It's been in the case for months now.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wolfman:
    It was the first time I'd heard other guitarists as well as non players state openly that his sound was awful.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Ahhhh Finally someone that agrees with me, I posted this to another list a while ago and was jumped for being a complete idiot, his sound on the 3 tour was thin and awefull I hated that sound
    on that tour.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tribb:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wolfman:
    It was the first time I'd heard other guitarists as well as non players state openly that his sound was awful.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Ahhhh Finally someone that agrees with me, I posted this to another list a while ago and was jumped for being a complete idiot, his sound on the 3 tour was thin and awefull I hated that sound
    on that tour.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]That wasn't my quote up there Rol.

Wolfman, in my earlier rant I wasn't referring to a guitar that cost someone around 700.
    If you got your first run model for 700 I think you got a decent guitar for the money.
    As I've said in the past, the wolf is a solid stage guitar, and 7-800 is a fair price.
    I used them live for awhile and it took me about 8 months to get tired of them, but it wasn't cause they played badly, or went out of tune or anything like that. I just found it to be a very bland kind of guitar. It just fit an image I was trying to put across at the time.
    I just don't think anyone should pay 2700 and up for what Peavey calls a "custom shop" model.
    I was commenting on your post where you said you couldn't understand why someone would want to sell their wolfgangs the way they do.
    Also lil'devil's comment on the fact that nothing feels, plays, or sounds like a wolf isn't quite right but if you haven't had a lot of experience with other guitars it's understandable.
    That's not a dig at all lil'devil so please don't take it that way.
    For the money Peavey's asking there are a lot of guitars that feel better, play better, and sound a hell of a lot better than a wolf, but because Ed used one for a little while a lot of people go for it without really checking a no. of other guitars first.
    Once you've paid your 12-1300, then find out you made a mistake see what you'll get for it.
    If you're actually gullible enough to pay 2700 then I've got some land I'd love to sell you.
    Tell someone like Rol that nothing plays, feels, or sounds like a wolf an see his reaction.
    He's handled a lot of guitars and I'd be very surprised if the Wolf was at the top of his list.
    If you're gonna pay 3000 for a guitar it better be the best thing you've ever played and I'd be assuming you've played a bunch before shelling out the money.
    You can get real hand made, custom instruments for much less, which will usually blow assembly line instruments right out of the water.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I see what you guys are saying about Ed's sound on the III tour, and I won't debate that. I definitely agree that it wasn't as good on that tour as in the past.
    But again, that's not what I was even talking about. I'm talking about the average guitar player and the value of a wolf's sound for an everyday joe guitar player. I also think Ed's sound on that tour had a lot to do with more than just the guitar - seems like he's changing his amp and effects set-up every year now.

If people think the wolfgang has a shit sound to it, I'm not going to be able to change their opinion, nor am I trying to. I'm just stating that for me personally, I think the guitars are a good sound for the value (the less expensive wolf specials)and can't relate to people wanting to sell them off so easily.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by tribb:

Wolfman, in my earlier rant I wasn't referring to a guitar that cost someone around 700.
    If you got your first run model for 700 I think you got a decent guitar for the money.
    As I've said in the past, the wolf is a solid stage guitar, and 7-800 is a fair price.
    Yeah, I understand that , bro. I was just clarifying that my feelings were based on that price range, etc.

I just don't think anyone should pay 2700 and up for what Peavey calls a "custom shop" model.
    Well, hell - me either. No disagreement there.

I was commenting on your post where you said you couldn't understand why someone would want to sell their wolfgangs the way they do.
    I understand and respect that. That's the whole reason I defended my post - so that you knew I was talking about certain models in particular. There are several guitars I wouldn't place the wolfie over. Just felt like a 700-clam Wold special was a good value in itself, regardless of the mass-production quality of the overpriced custom shop stuff.

[ January 01, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

10.29.11 @ 12:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can Understand what people say about the Wolf's and how they go nuts when they try one just becasue its and EVH Model, I was one of them but the bottom line is that it is a guitar that should be played and tested like any-other non-signature guitar. I'll be honest i've only tried three EVH Model due to the rare findings of them around my parts: an EB Axis( I guess its still an EVH at heart) and Wolf Standard and a Wolf Special flame.

As far as i'm concerned they were all of the same quality becasue I looked them up and down but all souded different becasue of the amps I was using. Note all were at different music shops, the Axis went through a fender which souded ok, the Wolf Standard as good as the guitar felt sounded bad bgecasue I went through a Marshell AVT 150 Watt ( shit amp believe me), and the best souding beleive it or not was the flame top going through an Ashton amp. Theirs nothing wrong with the Wolfs and as far as i'm concerned their up their with les paul classic's because i've played one of those as well.
    "What is understood need not be discussed, and i'm a bad ass mother".

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hehehe

oh here we go. i gotta mod my self again.

you really wouldn't like to read what i think of your opinions tribb.

your comments speak for you - you have no clue.

[ January 01, 2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: lil'devil ]