Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.18.15 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I bought a Kramer striker last year...strings have been ok but I wanted to get new ones. When I went to change them, the floyd rose went flush against the body of the guitar. I thought it would adjust itself back up once i had the strings on but it is still flush against Any suggestions? Should I have put something underneath it so it wouldn't gone down?? HELP???
    Well ain't life grand when you finally hit it, I'm always a sucker for a real good time, woke up in life to find i almost missed it,aint I glad that love is blind

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A common solution is to get a stack of business cards, sized to fit the gap between the bridge and the body. When changing strings, simply tuck the cards under the bridge to keep it as close to level as possible. You can still do this now; just use the bar to pull the bridge level, shove the cards in, tune up, and then adjust the spring tension to keep the bridge level of its own accord.

Anything you can shove back there will work, just make sure it isn't something that will scratch up the guitar or dent it. Some people use pencil erasers; others heavy duty foam rubber, etc.

By the way, it's usually easier if you change one string at a time with a Floyd so that your bridge doesn't go haywire like that.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    By the way, it's usually easier if you change one string at a time with a Floyd so that your bridge doesn't go haywire like that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe try 3 at a time. Would that be easier? Kinda like the Wolfgang tremolos. By the way, why to the Wolfie bridges pop off if all the strings are off?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

3 at a time would not be much better than changing them all at once. By changing one at a time, you maintain a normal level of string tension to counteract the spring tension, keeping the bridge in place better for the new string.

Taking all the strings off a guitar with a Floyd allows the spring tension to be uncountered, pulling the bridge back against the guitar and in some cases forcing it from its posts.

With a normal bridge, you can change all 6 at once, but with a Floyd, either go one at a time or shove something under the bridge.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like to shove a nice big hunk of steel wool under the bridge when changing strings. It not only keeps the bridge from slipping, but polishes the underside of the tremelo as well. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    JUST KIDDING!! Don't try that!
    In truth I only use two springs in the back of my trem units, and use just enough tension to keep the bridge down on the wood when not playing. When I bend a string for a higher note, the bridge lifts slightly. I've never had a bridge pop off the posts that way, and the action is very smooth. As well, when doing whammy dives the bridge comes back down very smoothy and quietly, and doesn't whack the body.
    Of course me being the brick head I am, I just realized your talking about a free floating floyd so cards or soft wood with no sharp edges, to block it is your best bet.
    Sometimes you have to take all the strings off though, to clean the neck or grind down the frets with steel wool. [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]