Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What I'm trying to do is get my amp to distort just a little bit more than it has the ability to do. My amp has only 3 gain stages--I wish it had 4--but it has incredible tone and warmth. Just not enough gain.

So my question is would an overdrive pedal do the trick? Would it give me just a little bit more without going too far over the top?

I checked out some distortion pedals at MARS the other day and I just didn't like anything I heard. The distortion sounded like crap and the noise was unbearable. I would appreciate anyone's suggestions.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Try this.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

I would suggest either a tubescreamer (TS-9) or an old BOSS SD-1. Both would be good for pushing your amp into a better place.

The Klon Centaur is wonderful, but expensive.

Overdrive pedals work best with a tube amp. A cool way to set it is as a "clean boost." Turn the gain all the way down and the level all the way up. It will push your amp harder and give you more sustain without any additional fuzz.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Barking Lizard, I put the pedal I picked up, called a Blues Devil, up against an original ts-9, a ts-9 reissue, a ts-9 with an 808 mod, a real 808, a few different Boss units, and a voodoo lab sparkle drive. The only pedal that came close was the original 808.
    The Blues Devil's are hand made and hand soldered by a small company in Montreal, Canada, I believe to the exact specs of the original 808's, even using the same chip as the originals. Since he uses an ic socket you can experiment with different chips if you like, but they sound great right out of the box. It's very transparent, and you can boost the amps natural distortion, or just push the preamp harder with a clean signal. It features a true bypass switch, very rugged construction, and you can phone and speak to the designer and builder, whos a very nice guy and will answer any questions or recommend different chips to change the sound if you feel the need to. I've found this to be the best pedal I've come across so far, and it sounds great in a variety of amps for pushing the preamp harder, and adding more natural distortion, gain, and sustain, without getting into the dirty fuzz range.
    His site is at:

http://w4.ca/v03v/mysitebyname.asp?username=mjmguitarfx

I believe you can also get some feedback for the pedal at Harmony Central under MJM effects.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

the FIRST one!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ermmm well... look. i play a fender telecaster.
    SUPER high endy because of the joe barden pickups.
    way sensitive. my amp is a fender twin reverb. nuff said about that.
    my pre-amp is the mesa boogie v-twin. it is SUPER sweet! TONS of gain and tone control. i traded in a randall head for it some years ago.

after gigs, kids would always ask me how i got such a HARD tone with just a tele and a fender twin. i would merely point to the mini MACK TRUCK grill on the floor and say "check that, its my mesa boogie v-twin pre-amp..."

ok, i just saw something that made my day.
    THANKS! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ February 25, 2002 at 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Jay C. James ]</p>
    <a href="http://www.mp3.com/jaycjames" target="_blank">http://www.mp3.com/jaycjames</a> for topless waitresses, lame guitar heroics and songs about nothing you could ever be REMOTELY interested in.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Are you asking if you can add an overdrive pedal to your existing overdrive channel to give it the Gain your looking for? If you are then I wouldn't suggest doing that with about 95% of all existing overdrive pedals. Most are designed to be used through your clean channel, really all of your distorted tone will come from the pedal itself, vice your amp, except for the unique aspects of your amp, like if it has a full natural bass, or if it's naturally very trebly sounding (in the clean stage). You could get a "Bixonic Expandora Distortion Pedal", it's about the size of a can of dip, and ways about as much (but cost's about $200.00-$300.00 depending on were you get it). That can actually be used in conjuction with your gain channel on your amp, that may not sound like a big deal, but it sure as hell is! It doesn't have allot of gain itself, but used properly it can give you a freaking monster tone, and it looks cool when someone asks you where that sound is coming from, and you point to this little piece of metal. If you like a tone like Billy Gibbons, then this is right up your ally. He supposedly used something like 7 lined up in series on there last album! There's a version of this pedal out, but I havent tried it out yet, it hasn't made as much news as the original, so im skeptical.