Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm toying around with some home recording on my computer out of the frustration of not being able to find any like-minded decent musicians in my area, but still have a catalog of original stuff i want recorded. i've been using some really basic stuff, i downloaded a free 8-track recording program called Internet Tape Deck, which i like because of the extremely simple interface and a regular$10 computer mic. a shitty set up i know, but about half the time i end up with a pretty good, clear recording, so i'm happy (kinda) with it. i was just wondering what some of you guys used, or if you had any tips on how to build upon my setup (bear in mind cheaply) i also have a question about laying down vocals, since i'm doing everything myself i have to do the vocal duties as well, and unfortunately my voice isn't the best, i have a tendancy to go flat, has any body heard of any theories about different tunings or tuning to a different frequency like 430khz or 450khz that could make up for those vocal shortcomings. thanks for the help fellas

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I use cakewalk. I went and bought Guitar Tracks 2 for $50 I think. It's a cool program, but I hear that a program called Pro Tools is really good. You can download it free off the net. A lot of guys here really like it. I haven't installed it yet, so I couldn't tell you how well it works. I do like Guitar Tracks, but it's limited with certain things.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Pro Tools is the pinnicle of digital audio recording software. With that being said, the free version that is downloadable completely SUCKS! Part of what makes Pro Tools so incredible is how robust it is and the free version is extremely limited in what it can do. Also, if anything happens to it, Digidesign (pro tools creator) will not help. Plus if you aren't really familiar with recording software, Pro Tools can be a tad bit intimidating. In conclusion, Pro Tools only is benefited when you have a pretty heavy supporting cast (ie, a bare minimum mini-recording studio) behind it.

In terms of just recording off an 8-track at home, I personally have found Acid Pro to be the best bang for the buck at that level. I believe that you can also use it for video. Anyway, Acid Pro is very user friendly and you could make some pretty cool demos from it. Being that it is user friendly, you will learn to do a bunch of stuff with relative ease and when you are ready for something like Pro Tools, you will have a good foundation for the basics. Have fun regardless of what you do!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

The whole sonic foundry set of applications seems to the best bang for my buck as well. It's powerful, easy to use, and sounds great.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Do yourself a favor and go get n-Track. It will record as many tracks as your soundcard will allow. Your average sound card only allows 2-channels for R/L, but you can buy cards/interfaces to hook up that allow unlimited tracks (or as much as your computer's CPU and memory will allow). Pro-Tools offers software and hardware like this, but n-Track will be sufficient for a beginning home recordist. You can overdub and track stuff to do multi-track recording, so it works real well for demos and studio recordings.

The n-Track shareware download allows you to do limited things; no mixdown and you can only put effects on Track 1. But it will let you play with it enough to figure out if it's what you're looking for. It does everything I need at this point so for $40 or so it's not a big investment, but makes it extremely inexpensive and in my experience it has been very stable.

As a side note, for microphones I use: Shure 57 (2), Shure 58(4), CGM 1001 (6), MXL 603 (2), and an MXL 2003 (1) for vocals.

For a mixer/preamp, I use a Mackie 1604VLZ 16-track mixer.

I also have a Rolls RA53 5-channel headphone amp with each output having its own volume. That works real well for using more than one set of headphones at one time.

That's basically it, and what I use is a very amatuer, low-end setup. You can go crazy and add to that with rack components like separate pre-amps, compression, effects, etc., in addition to buying microphones out the ying-yang that can cost you from $100-$10,000 a piece (depending on your level of obsessiveness and cash flow!).

Anyway, hope that helps you out. Another place of great information and resources is HomeRecording.com where there is also a great BBS like this there. The site itself hasn't been updated in the last year, however, you'll find more than enough updated info in the BBS section where there are over 14,000 members. Be careful not to get lost in there! Sometimes you'll read those forums until all of a sudden it's 2:30 a.m. and you're like, "Where did the time go!?"

Happy recording.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll have to check some of this stuff out in further detail, i'm checking out homerecording.com right now. now thats some good shit. thanks again

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Fontcow:
    Do yourself a favor and go get n-Track. It will record as many tracks as your soundcard will allow. Your average sound card only allows 2-channels for R/L, but you can buy cards/interfaces to hook up that allow unlimited tracks (or as much as your computer's CPU and memory will allow). Pro-Tools offers software and hardware like this, but n-Track will be sufficient for a beginning home recordist. You can overdub and track stuff to do multi-track recording, so it works real well for demos and studio recordings.

The n-Track shareware download allows you to do limited things; no mixdown and you can only put effects on Track 1. But it will let you play with it enough to figure out if it's what you're looking for. It does everything I need at this point so for $40 or so it's not a big investment, but makes it extremely inexpensive and in my experience it has been very stable.

As a side note, for microphones I use: Shure 57 (2), Shure 58(4), CGM 1001 (6), MXL 603 (2), and an MXL 2003 (1) for vocals.

For a mixer/preamp, I use a Mackie 1604VLZ 16-track mixer.

I also have a Rolls RA53 5-channel headphone amp with each output having its own volume. That works real well for using more than one set of headphones at one time.

That's basically it, and what I use is a very amatuer, low-end setup. You can go crazy and add to that with rack components like separate pre-amps, compression, effects, etc., in addition to buying microphones out the ying-yang that can cost you from $100-$10,000 a piece (depending on your level of obsessiveness and cash flow!).

Anyway, hope that helps you out. Another place of great information and resources is HomeRecording.com where there is also a great BBS like this there. The site itself hasn't been updated in the last year, however, you'll find more than enough updated info in the BBS section where there are over 14,000 members. Be careful not to get lost in there! Sometimes you'll read those forums until all of a sudden it's 2:30 a.m. and you're like, "Where did the time go!?"

Happy recording.
    Fontcow, sounds like a pretty cool little set-up! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] what kind of board/multitrack are you running through?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Definitely get yourself a AC line power conditioner and uninterruptable power supply.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

1.jump on Kazaa.....

2.get yerself a crack of Emagic Logic 5,

3.blow your mind!!!!!