Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: road cases?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Tribb, or any of you guys who gig regularly know where I can get a used (or inexpensive) roadcase for two Marshall heads. I need the kind that holds two heads (stacked on top of each other) and the front and back of the case open so you can plug everything in without removing the amps. I check ebay all the time, but I'm hoping some of you guys might have other ideas.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Jape
    Speaking from hard experience dealing with long trips and equipment being banged around, and dropped, I'd strongly recommend a clydsdale case, or one of that caliber. There are others that are just as good though. Because of the different types of foam density they use throughout the case, you should take your head in to have the case made. It'll usually cost you around 150-200U.S. new, but the tolerances are so close that they should have the head to measure it exactly, and since every head is different in weight (especially marshalls), the type of foam density will differ from case to case. When you buy a roadcase on ebay it's usually not made for your model head and if the head can move around inside, even a little bit it defeats the purpose. It should fit like a glove.
    I had a head fall out of the back of the truck once. I nearly shit, but it was fine.
    Another time, one of my heads was packed in it's case, and fell off the top of my cab, and then bounced and dropped another 4 feet off the stage to a cement floor. The corner of the road case had a small dent in it, but the head was fine except for a slightly damaged tube. I'd hate to think of what would have happened if it wasn't in a solid case. That doesn't include all the regular bumping and vibration when you've just got it in a vehicle going to a gig. If you're smart and you value your amp have a case made. It's well worth the investment. When your on the road, Murphy's law always applies. If it can happen, it will, and always when you're not expecting it.
    The guy who makes your case can probably make it so the front and back come off with out removing the head. They're pretty good about making them to your specs. Check with the tech at a music store. They can usually recommend someone.

[This message has been edited by tribb (edited August 18, 2000 at 08:53 PM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Tribb, I was always under the impression that a quality roadcase like Anvil or Calzone woudl run aroun $600 bucks. Did you say that I should be able to get a new case made for around $150 to $200?!! Where? I'm going to check out the Clydsdale cases on the web. . .I'll check to see if they have a website. Thanks.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jape
    Clydesdale's just one of the makes. Some companies really go over board with the their prices. 600. seems way too steep for me, but I'm sure they sell them.
    The guy that did my cases garanteed them to be at least as tough as a clydesdale, and they easily have been, based on the beatings they've taken. I brought the heads in so they could be custom fitted. It cost me 250 + tax canadian, so that's about 75 U.S. right..lol
    Just kidding. It works out to about 160 U.S.
    I had a real clydesdale case for my 5150 head when I used that, and it cost me closer to 300 canadian, but a good case builder(and there are lots around) can build you something for way less than the price of some of the companies you mentioned. They use the exact same materials, metal shell, top quality handles and locks, same foam, etc. They just don't slap a label on it to kick the cost up to triple of what it's worth. Like I said, I'd recommend someone who can custom make one for you. It's best if they have the head to work with. Check music stores or the yellow pages. Good luck bud.