Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

poundcake & hot for teacher
    Last Online

04.27.07 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

greetings. i'm shopping for a wolfgang, can someone tell me how can i tell the difference between the U.S wolfgang and the Korean wolfgang?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

feel your love tonight
    Last Online

11.04.13 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you're just trying to differentiate the 2, the only way i can tell you, is that the korean wolf doesn't have the eddie van halen "autograph" carved into the back of the headstock...
    at least mine doesn't, however, i also hear that they're all gonna have the "autograph" eventually...
    but i'm a rookie at this whole deal, so who knows if i'm completely right or not...
    so far, i like my korean wolf, but i'm also just learning to play...

i say if you like it , and you want it... buy it!!!
    but get the one you really want, or you'll be back later to get it!!!

peace...
    ...Dave

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the american wolfs have a completely differnt trem system.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the american wolfs have a completely differnt trem system.
    Amoung other things that have already been discussed here.

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the Korean Wolfs are aimmed at the 'advance beginner' players, and not the folks who already own the USA models. Comparing them as equals is unfair. At first I thought it was an abomination for Peavey to introduce a Korean Wolf. Then I realized the guitar is not meant to be a pro guitar. Once I understood what it wasn't, I began to see what it was. An economy version of a signature guitar that looks great and plays well. Not everyone can afford the USA models. However it is a pretty cool guitar for someone who has been playing a year or two. Give 'em a while longer and maybe they'll want and be able to get the USA model. I'm no longer going to slam the Korean because it's not EXACTLY like the American version. If a $500 Korean Wolf
    was just as good as my USA Standards, I'd be pissed.

Anyway the differnces are:
    the hardware material
    the tremolo system
    the veneer quilt top
    the 'finished' neck
    the actual shape of the neck, slightly
    lack of the signature on the headstock (for now)
    and last but not less, THE COST

If I've missed something, please add to the list.

Live Music Capital of the World" Austin, Texas!
    Favorite VH Album

5150 Baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

07.15.12 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How much do the Korean Wolfs cost?

Thanks,
    Dan

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

500. or more for an "advanced beginner guitar". What the fuck does that mean? A Fender mexican squier is an advanced beginner guitar and you can pick those up for 150.
    So you're talking about paying 500.US and up for a quick cut guitar with inferior hardware, a crappy trem, a pretty quilted, paper thin top meant to attract new buyers, and a "finished" neck, which is probably "finished" cause if it wasn't coated with plastic it would warp like a banana. It obviously doesn't have a graphite truss system like the US wolf and why not just oil it like it's US counterpart?
    Becuase if you just oil it, it'll most likely warp.
    EBMM, Ibanaez, Fender, and a few other manufacturers send out oiled necks, why not peavey on this model?
    Could it be lousy maple?
    For that matter, what makes this guitar a wolf?
    The only thing so far is that it's cut to the shape of a wolf. I can do that with a jigsaw and a file, attach a warmoth neck and the quality will still be way better. I can get gorgeous quilted veneer for the top for about 3-4. and glue that on too.
    There's a store here that wants 1050. Canadian for one of those babies. They call it a "sale". I had to laugh after playing it. I had played it for about 20 minutes and then I asked, because it was never mentioned, if this was a Korean model, to which he replied, " Hmmm, I believe it could be". I just said a silent fuck you charley, realizing that he would have scammed me without a second thought as long as I paid my money.
    If a new player can cough up 500. or more for that copy, what's the big deal about coughing up the money for a special, which will still blow the korean copy away quality wise. Other than glueing a thin peice of veneer on for looks, you're giving up a lot of quality on the other components which make up the guitar. Why should a new player, who puts as much time into his playing as you or I, find that he's having problems months down the road cause the necks always changing it's bow, or the trem posts are shifting or the trem is wearing too quickly.
    You're also forgetting that the pickups on this guitar are made in Korea to US "specs".
    You don't know what wire, bobbins or other pickup components they're using.
    I'm sure if Ed ever goes back on stage he'll probably pick up one of the Korean copies cause it'll mean selling more guitars. I guess Mr. "I'd never put my name on a guitar from Korea" is into the business end of music more than music itself now, and that'll be good for sales, even if he just poses with one, which I'm sure we'll see in due time.
    Once they slap his name on the back that'll do it.
    It'll probably be a death blow for the wolfgang in general cause store owners are already selling these guitars to customers without telling them they're manufactured in Korea as it is.
    They're are guys paying 695. US for these things, and getting a "deal" by paying 400. and up without a case.
    Say what you want. If I get the boot from the links for speaking up so be it, but Peavey is making money off Ed's name plain and simple, and certainly not because there's any quality to this instrument.
    The bottom line is, Peavey should have left well enough alone and concentrated on their US models, which are actually being used by working musicians, and not have gone for a 700. toy. But I guess that's good business nowadays. cut costs of labour and materials to pennies if you can, and charge the hell out of the customer. They're "advanced beginners", they won't know or care. Hell, it's darn pretty, it must be good.
    I imagine that if a no. of peavey forum readers read this they'll turn blue, and I'll get some more shitty email, so let me start off by giving those guys a hearty fuck you, and don't waste your time.
    Say it here in the forum or don't say it. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The neck is finished? This get's worse every time this subject comes up...

Don't get me wrong, I love Eddie, but I will standby the fact that Edward, like all human beings, can be a hypocrite.

Take for instance "Well if they're is another knob, it will be a volume knob, and not a tone knob"-in reference to the production of the Wolf, and how fuckin cool that would've been...

I haven't been able to play one of these Korean Wolf's yet, so I'm just going from what I've seen/heard about it.

In comparison to a Squier Strat, which can be a good sounding guitar, I don't think the Overseas Wolf is necessarily complete dogshit. It's obvious Hartley and/or Peavey want to sell more instruments, and are increasing their market share with this axe.

On the other hand, I think you should pay your dues. I wanted an EBMM EVH and a Wolfgang for years. But for seven or eight years, I played the same made in Japan Jackson, which in it's own right, is not a terrible guitar, but the pickups are flat out shit.

Why should a company put out an instrument with someone's name on it, when that particular Guitarist doesn't even play said inferior quaility instrument. It seems to have been a growing trend in the last five years or more, to introduce an overseas signature model, that the fucker doesn't even play. You gonna find Santana playing that fucking PRS special? HA!

It stinks more and more, and I do have mixed feelings about it, but the more information that is relayed about it, the worse it sounds. I can't imagine Ernie Ball doing some loony shit like this, I don't think anyone can.

It's all Hypocrisy man, and since Eddie's human, I guess he's entitled.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:

It stinks more and more, and I do have mixed feelings about it, but the more information that is relayed about it, the worse it sounds. I can't imagine Ernie Ball doing some loony shit like this, I don't think anyone can.

It's all Hypocrisy man, and since Eddie's human, I guess he's entitled.
    If they still had Ed ? maybe not but they are doing it with the Axis and I never thought that would happen.
    As far as the way the KWG plays and looks ? it looks fine, sounds fine and plays fine, you'll be able to pick one up on ebay for $200 in a few years and to that's good, cause there are a ton of people that still want some a part of EVH and can't afford anything, maybe they can afford this and be happy, and that is a good thing
    know what I mean [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

poundcake & hot for teacher
    Last Online

04.27.07 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow! thanks all you guys for he info! it help out alot. i just don't want to go down to my local "guitar center " and have a sales guys fool me . hopefully they will have both version to check out?

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

you know to be honest im getting kinda tired with my wolf special. quality wise its good its from one of the first production runs back in spring 98. but it kinda sounds thin to me or something lately. ive played some mahagony bodied guitats and they just feel more solid or punchy with thick bottom end than my wolf special.i may trade this sucker in for a used sg or something with a differnt wood type.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

feel your love tonight
    Last Online

11.04.13 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bash me, smash me, or crash me...
    i don't care...

i bought a korean wolfgang, and so far, i love it...

i started witha peavey predator hb six months ago, which is a nice guitar itself, and i consider this a major step up...

now, i am still a beginner, nowhere near being an "advanced beginner", but still very happy...

now further down the road, i may feel different, but for $550.00, i am happy...

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Dave G 5150:
    bash me, smash me, or crash me...
    i don't care...
    I don't think anybody's bashing, smashing, or crashing you bro. If you're happy with your guitar, that's all that matters.

These discussions we get in are no holds barred, tell it like we see it. That's the way we like it. You have to remember a lot of us have a lot of years of experience playing and dealing with guitars in general, and even the old salts don't see eye to eye on everything.

I personally don't care for the Wolf line at all, I never have. I haven't tried the Korean Wolf, but I've played a good number of the standards and specials and I almost loath them. Other guys love em, and that's great, but it's not going to stop me telling it how and why I see it.

In the end it's all opinion, and like assholes, everyone has them. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Rick S:
    you know to be honest im getting kinda tired with my wolf special. i may trade this sucker in for a used sg or something with a differnt wood type.
    An SG???? From the pot to the frying pan

Seriously though, you have to line up a Les Paul and a SG at the same time and see what you think. You want thump? Winner = Paul. You want punch? Winner = Les Paul.

Of course I'm completely biased. I can't stand SGs, but I love the sound of the Paul, but do try them together bro, I think you'll be surprised.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:14 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Back to the Korean Wolfgang really quick, another difference between it and its American counterpart is the heel. The American is slightly contoured, the Korean is not.

Jack