Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like to get some opinions on what the value
    of the Wolfgangs would do should there be no more
    Van Halen as we know it. I realize there are a
    hell of a lot more of them than the EVH EBMM's, so
    I was wondering would their value go up or down?
    I'm considering trading one of my Wolfgangs for
    a guitar I played Monday that blew me away. I have two Wolfs that I play and one I've been holding on to that's really nice in case they did ever become collectable. Since I bought it in
    early '99 I've seen the list price of the Wolf go
    WAY up, while the used price seems to keep going down. If Van Halen does call it quits, will there
    be more/less interest in Wolfgangs? If they make
    a comeback will there be more/less interest? What do you guys/gals think?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfortunately, with these new cheapo wolfs coming out it won't help boost the value of wolfgangs at all.
    They're still making more and more, and whether Ed and VH return won't make much difference, as long as they're still making an endless supply.
    A couple of collectors I've spoken to, tell me that the only wolfs that may become valuable down the road, and are actually worth more than the rest, are the early ones that say "Patent Pending" on the back, with no patent no. They also don't have the little patent sign after the wolfgang logo on the front of the headstock.
    Apparently in the first year of production quality control was highest, and the early models seem to be the most sought after by those that collect them. The later made flames are nice, but it seems to be the early quilts, blacks, and Ivory standards that collectors look for. If the neck has a lot of bird's eye then even better. Brett has a black, and I nearly shit when I saw the bird's eye in the neck. (Brett, put that fuckin thing in the closet, and get a later model to beat up.) Even saying that, there a lot of wolf's still being made, which doesn't help, and it could be sometime till the early ones really have any gain in value, although even now they seem to sell faster than the later ones, and that's a sign in itself.
    I know you'll get a lot of dissagreement at the peavey forum, where everyone with a flametop is busy telling each other they have the greatest guitar on the planet, and the value is sky high, but in the real world it ain't so.
    The EBMM EVH's are valuable not only for their quality, but mostly because there were an extremely limited amount made at only one point in time, when VH was still very high in popularity, and no matter what Ed does now, will never be made like that again. EBMM continues to market the Axis in smaller amounts than the wolf, but the axis is not really associated with Edward, although they try and make it so, while the wolf, in all it's forms, American, and Korean is. The prices on them (EBMM EVH)have remained stable and are beginning to climb again. I've had some collectors tell me that they think in 5-10 years they could become as valuable as old strats, but I don't know about that. Only time will tell.
    Even if VH comes back in full swing, I'd hang onto your EBMM EVH's, and early wolfs.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always wondered if the Patent Pending models were "really" more desired by collectors. I have a Black Patent Peding model, but its highly doubtful that I'll ever sell it(its been gigged for about 3 years now). But I've always wondered if that little Pat Pending on the back was ever gonna mean anything. Both of my 5150's said Patent Pending as well, I just sold one though.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was only referring to the guitars in this thread. It's hard to say what the wolfies will be worth down the road, simply because there are som many, and it looks like even if Ed does leave peavey they'll continue to make them, but the people I know who hang onto them, won't bother unless it's a pat. pending wolf. A guy I spoke to at a store downtown this morning, said that they used to get the odd EBMM EVH going through, but that's stopped completely. I think one of the only places you'll find them now is ebay, and the prices are going up.
    Just one note of caution about the EBMM EVH.
    Some companies have been getting an EBMM EVH, and to make the top look better they're actually removing the top and refinishing or even replacing it with one they think looks better.
    One poster here had this done, and on checking, found that the guitar he had, although still technically an EBMM EVH, had the top removed and replaced with a sunburst top. It left the EBMM factory as a trans. purple. As nice as it might look, that effectively ruins it's collectability as the real thing, because besides a different top than it should have, a collector would doubt the authenticity of the other parts, such as p/u's after that. The value is nowhere near where it would be if it was left alone, possible dings and all. A collector would not consider that the real thing because only 100% original guitars are considered stock. If you're going to buy one be sure to check the ser. #, to make sure it's all original before paying for it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

I have already retired my '92 EBMM EVH. It has some nicks and chips, I'd like to have repaired and re-clearcoated and then put it away forever. I haven't actually played it in over a year. It was my main guitar for many years, but it's too valuable to beat up like that.

Like tribb said, apparently I have a first run Wolfie Standard, I didn't know that when I bought it used 3 years ago. Just got lucky. I have taken great care of it, it is pristine and it's my main axe still. If I could afford another Wolf, I would get one and retire the black one too. Maybe in the next year I can.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tribb, you said something about cheapo wolfs?

when are these coming out??

im a 17 year old still at school with a part time job and ive been "trying" to save for an actual wolf.

is this going to be the equivilent of a sqier and epiphone are to fender and gibson??

anyone know any release dates for the cheap wolfs?

this is great for someone like myself who can simply not afford a real one.

you also wont feel so bad about gigging with them etc if they dont cost you an arm and a leg.

if anyone has info on the new cheap wolfs please let me know or point me in the direction where i can find out.

thanks

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i forgot......anyone got any ideas about the price?

i bet itll still be totally expensive.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey cool........my Wofie says Patent Pend......

Tribb....should I really put this thing away and just bang around on my musicyo Steinberger wanna-be?
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by T0P JIMMY:
    i forgot......anyone got any ideas about the price?

i bet itll still be totally expensive.
    The list price is $799, but thats list, I'm guessing they'll be $400-$500 in the stores.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brett, you might wanna store it just the way it is. Getting it refinished won't increase the value, and since they usually have to remove the old finish to do it right, would probably devalue it. An original rare guitar that looks like it's been played always seems to be worth more.
    Top Jimmy, the cheapo wolfs I talked about are the new international Korean series. Yea, more or less what you mentioned. For the same money or less you can get a used US made wolf. Go for the US made guitar.
    Jimmy, if you're playing it as a stage instrument it would depend on how early it was made, the finish, and how much punishment you give it. If you jam with it, do the occasional gig or use it for fun you might as well keep playing it. Right now they're just more sought after than the patent number models. I wouldn't put them in the collectable class because of the no. of wolfs in general out there.
    I'm not a collector, but I have some friends that are very seious about collecting guitars, and I'm just passing along information.
    LarryJ, I wouldn't be surprised if you started seeing the overseas wolfgangs on ebay in about 6 months going for 2-300. I've seen some US standards sold for under 600, and that's not based on poor construction. It's just that there are so many available that it's a buyer's market on them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Tribb, I know but my cats sort of did something bad to it, so after I skin them I have to maybe fix it. One of my strings was broken, so it was dangling. Apparently they were batting at it and they uh scraped under the strings and uh scratched it, and uh I almost killed them, and it was uh....bad.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I hate cats! lol
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyone got a release date for the cheapo wolfs???

i really need more info.
    any difference in name or anything.

please tell me all the info you know or show me where to find out.

thanks

On Fire
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:07 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

Originally posted by Brett:
    Tribb, I know but my cats sort of did something bad to it, so after I skin them I have to maybe fix it. One of my strings was broken, so it was dangling. Apparently they were batting at it and they uh scraped under the strings and uh scratched it, and uh I almost killed them, and it was uh....bad.
    Brett, I feel your pain.

On Fire
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:07 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

Late last year Peavey dealers in Australia were getting big shipments of Wolfgangs and selling them at less than half of the rrp. This was apparently due to Peavey wanting "to clear the warehouse". I don't know what they were clearing out the warehouse for, hopefully not the International Series Wolfgang. Peavey are more in the know than we are, so it's obvious that they don't think the Wolfgang will go up in value.

I have a mint black Standard with the serial number 91000219. It has an amazing bird's eye neck but I couldn't see it being worth big $$$'s for at least another 5 to 10 years.