Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ok i want to make my whammy bar on my wolfgang easier to use, and I opened up the back and there are 3 springs. 2 on the outside and one in the middle with 5 spots to put springs. should I remove the middle spring and leave the other 2 where they are on the very outsidem or remove the middle move the ones on the outside one spot in??
    I am awesome

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dunno, maybe it's because I played nothing but tune-o-matic bridged guitars for nearly 20 years before buying a Floyd-equipped axe, but there's no way in hell I could go with just 2 springs! I added a fourth spring to my Soloist because I got sick of the bridge floating when I looked at it wrong with just 3. I've since developed much better touch with the Floyd, but I still can't imagine going to just 2 springs, or even back to 3 for that matter. Hell, Stevie Ray Vaughan used five springs on his strats! (Of course, he was also using those damned gigantic strings!) Still, it's all preference, I suppose...

Rols would probably be the definitive authority, but if I were going to try it, I'd probably go from the outside holes on the bridge to the inner two claws from either end.

Let us know how it turns out.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well I used to have 2 on there, and when i went to change my strings the bridge popped out, so i fixed it, but wit only 2 springs the bridge was out of place so i added the 3rd and now its in place but i liked playing with 2 springs better. I also decided I was gunna try 11 guage strings for the hell of it, and after that, Im definately goin back to 9's next time...
    I am awesome

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I may be wrong here, but I under the impression that the EVH Musicman came with 2 springs installed as well as the Wolf ( at least thats how my 2 EVH's and Wolf came ), but were supplied with extra springs. Personally I've always used 2 springs, I've been using Floyd's for 20 + years now and it's just how I've been comfortable with them. But in answer to your question Wolfie, yes just take the center spring out. You may have to adjust the claw in the trem cavity to get the bridge to sit properly again.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just experiment, but one thing you have to consider, is you want the bridge to sit all the way back, and by loosening the "spring area" will cause the bridge to float a little, and that can be a pain in the ass when you break a string in the middle of a song, will knock everything out of tune.
    And beyond the horizon.... a sound was heard.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:
    Well I used to have 2 on there, and when i went to change my strings the bridge popped out
    Hey Nick - make sure you never take all the strings off at once with a trem bridge when you change them - you need to keep some tension on that puppy, or at least stick a shim underneath it, which I wouldn't recommend because you can still damage the bridge putting pressure against parts which aren't designed to withstand it. And I learned this the hard way [img]redface.gif[/img] , around the time I was your age as a matter of fact.

When your bridge pops out like that, it may be easy to get back in, but you have more than likely knocked your intonation off when that happens.

I usually change my bottom strings first, and once they are replaced, then I take off the top ones and replace them.

As far as springs go, I've always been very comfortable with three.

[ July 24, 2002, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]