On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am relly close to buying this amp...what do you think? Its a steve vai carvin legacy head and cab. Its not too expensive and I read some good reviews. They saw its sound is a mix between a marshall jcm 800 and a mesa boogie dual rectifier. You can listen to it here.... carvin site just click on the links to hear vai play...i love vai he is the coolest...
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, Vai is one of my favorites. I'm going to see him on the next G3 tour this summer.
    The legacy does sound pretty good. During his demo it didn't sound like he was pushing it so it was hard to tell what it would sound like at live volume. I like the tube setup and the fact that it uses Celestion vintage 30's. I think you're right though, it does sound a lot like an 800 seies marshall, and the price on the 2x12 combo isn't bad either. It appears to be a really solidly made amp. Do any other posters own, or have played one of these, who might be able to give us more info on them?

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I didn't play the Legacy. I did play the MTS 2x12 combo. Awesome. I'm thinking they are very similar. Do it, great deal, nice amp. Very clean clean, and the overdrive is, well if it's good enough for Steve Vai, you get my point.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't played them, but I did hear them both. I was more than impressed with BOTH of them; whenever money starts falling out of the sky to me, and I finally buy a combo, I will be hard pressed to decide between the Carvins or a Line 6.

Anyway, the Legacy is a great sounding box, and the price is quite affordable compared to a lot of other companies' amps. Of course, they say the 5150 is like a cross between a Marshall and a Soldano, so it's tough to judge an amp based on comparisons like that. To my ears, the Legacy has a lot of presence to its sound; it sounded better to me in a mix than by itself.

Since I moved, I haven't been getting the new Carvin catalogs. I better go request them!
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.