Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

They both kick ass but I prefer Satrianis songs to Vais . I wish Vai would do something in the vein of Passion & Warfare again with a Jack Butler/Crossroads type song thrown in their . I give the nod to Satriani [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Both amazing players, but I've gotta give the nod to Satch as well. Even though his playing can be jaw-dropping at times, he still retains a sense of melody in his songs.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like satch better too, not only because he writes better melodies and his songs can be complex yet catchy (I catch my self humming lights up in heaven all the time), but because at times Steve Vai can be just plain and fucking weird [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] I remember when I bought sex and religion, just trying out Vai's catalog, and it had all these strange orgasm noises and stuff at parts. Maybe I'm just not artsy enough to get it or something. I do however think Passion and warfare is a good CD and For the love of god is probably one of my favorite instrumental songs.

[ November 23, 2002, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: NxtVanHalen. ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Overall, I'd have to go with Satch, he's just got more groove & more consistent songs.

That said, I'd put all of "Alien Love Secrets" & most of "Passion and Warfare" up there with the best of Satch's stuff.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 51501984:
    They both kick ass but I prefer Satrianis songs to Vais . I wish Vai would do something in the vein of Passion & Warfare again with a Jack Butler/Crossroads type song thrown in their . I give the nod to Satriani [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I like them both but what sent me over the top for Vai is "Alien Love Secrets" that has go to be the most awesome guitar record of all time, the only thing I really don't like about Vai is the noise making, he goes way overboard on that, yes Steve we all know your looney you don't have to prove it on each record you do.
    To prove that point is "The Ultra Zone" that is the most gow awful thing I have heard way way over the top but I still like him better then Satch, "Tender Surrender" has got to be the most awe inspiring solo since "Eruption" for me.
    Rol.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think the drummer summed it up at the end of Vai's song "Juice" when he said:

"Shut up already, we know you can play!..Jeez!"

I love Vai but sometimes I get the feeling he's trying to invent a new key.

Joe is cool because you don't get the whole bag of tricks on every song.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm gonna get berrated for this, but i can't stand either.

i'm sure they are nice people, and they are extremely talented but they lack what ed has in buckets - rythm.

without rythm its just noise to me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by lil'devil:

i'm sure they are nice people, and they are extremely talented but they lack what ed has in buckets - rythm.

I won't berrate you but I will say I think your wrong, they both have a ton of rythm, listen to
    "Tender Surender" and say that again I dare ya ,
    neeener neeener [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by lil'devil:

Well... Vai has had some brilliant rhythm moments mixed in with the Zappa flashbacks (I LOVE Zappa, btw...), but I'd definitely have to disagree about Satch. Satch has groove for freakin' DAYS. Check out just about anything he does, particularly songs like "Crystal Planet", "Flying in a Blue Dream", "Ice 9", "Summer Song", "War", "Surfing with the Alien", etc., "rhythm" is hardly something Satch lacks, although with more "rhythmic", song-oriented grooves, Satch could seriously use a good singer.

Kinda unfair comparing anyone's rock rhythm chops to Eddie, arguably the best and most revolutionary rhythm-player the genre's ever seen with the possible exception of Jimi Hendrix.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol @ rols [img]smile.gif[/img] good to have good spirit back in here.

and yes sir brown sound, you are right about it not being fair to compare to ed.

i've been repurchasing all the old cd's slowly and having been away from vh music for a while, ed's playing impresses me now more than ever.

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I'll be the oddball out and go with Vai. Satch's tone and playing bores me to tears. Vai is nothing if not interesting. However, neither one rocks my world like some other players out there.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Trennasol:
    Well I'll be the oddball out and go with Vai. Satch's tone and playing bores me to tears. Vai is nothing if not interesting. However, neither one rocks my world like some other players out there.
    um that would make 2 oddballs [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Trennasol:
    um that would make 2 oddballs [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Ya know, I really dig an awful lot of Satch's material, but live at least, it actually does get kind of boring after a while. This goes back to what I said about him needing a good singer. If you're doing 90% instrumental music, someone like Vai who's covering so much different musical ground and takes so many more chances than Satch does usually will come across as much more entertaining, particularly live. Satch's stuff all has a groove/song-oriented vibe that really needs that vocal counterpoint to keep the guitar stuff fresh, at least that's kinda how I think of it. I really noticed this on the last tour with Dream Theater and King's X. Satch played last, and halfway through his set, having seen him live 9 times, I actually started yawning. That's no real slight to Satch, who is certainly a brilliant player, but just an observation that as good as his grooves are, they'd sound a lot better with the added dynamic some killer vocals over them, someone like a Noah Hunt or something.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love Joe's melody and catchiness, but I'm a big fan of musical weirdness! I really like Vai's off the wall stuff and his spontaneous nature. The main thing I like about him are the Frank Zappa moments that pop up all over the place! Also to say Vai doesn't have rhythm is just as wrong as it can be. The rhythm your talking about Ed having is that boogie/shuffle rhythm that gets you going! And yes he does have that in spades! Vai on the other hand has probably some of the most precice rhythm and polyrhythm in the business. Vai and Eddie both have a killer since of rhythm, just two different sides of the spectrum.

Chalk me up for Vai as well.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

I'm gonna have to go with Vai on this one, with a stipulation. I like Vai with a real band. I thought his work with DLR, and Whitesnake was brilliant. As stated earlier, some of his solo stuff is just fucking wierd. Take his "84 album "Flexable" for example, the song "Little Green Men" [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] I do however love Satch's album "Flying in a Blue Dream". He had some great stuff there.
    If I had my choice though, I would rather play like a cross between Neal Schon and Zakk Wilde than Vai or Satch.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.