Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I went into my local Guitar Center in the Dallas, TX area, and I asked for a pickup selector switch. The guy tried to sell me something like a SuperSwitch or thereabout, and I explained it was only for looks in a Frankenstrat I have (Can I say that without legal represenation??). He looked puzzled, and I said "Eddie Van Halen's early strat: Red; Black; and White???" The sales dude is looking at me like I just farted, and he goes, "Oh yea, I heard of them. Thought he was a singer..." Holy shit! What has VH come to when a guitar salesperson in Guitar Center doesn't know who Eddie Van Halen is????? [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] I felt like crying, but decided to give the guy what he seemed to be looking for, so I ripped a silencer as I finished paying for the part and walked out... Just makes you wonder about these folks though... [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

[ October 16, 2002, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

was he young? like early 20 s?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

was he old..like 80's maybe

Unchained only letters and numbers's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.28.14 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You should've asked the guy if he knows who Michael Angelo is...(hee hee)
    January 5, 2005 - Resurrection

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Rick S:
    was he young? like early 20 s?
    Yea, early 20's, but we're talking about a GUITAR SALESMAN AND EDDIE VAN HALEN!!!!! This gives totally new meaning to "Who the fuck is Eddie Van Halen?" [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've now got a T-Shirt that says
    "who the #$#@% smells like el_jalepeno?"
    Hahahhahahhahhahahaha

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't give a rat's ass if it's a chain store, or a local traditional store...There's only about one store I can remember that has competent personnel on hand...

Ya know order a set of 12's, like tonight for instance, and I know it's their job "can I get you a string winder? NO. Picks? NO."

But when you ask these clowns something it's obvious they don't know jack shit. I love it the best when some jazz trained cat tries to show me how good an acoustic sounds through a high end acoustic amp, then look like his dog ran over when I tell him how bad the second fret is buzzing.

I don't give two shits for the salesmen that are in music stores today. Poor customer service, no knowledge...but it sure is fun fuckin with em sometimes...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:
    I don't give a rat's ass if it's a chain store, or a local traditional store...There's only about one store I can remember that has competent personnel on hand...

Ya know order a set of 12's, like tonight for instance, and I know it's their job "can I get you a string winder? NO. Picks? NO."

But when you ask these clowns something it's obvious they don't know jack shit. I love it the best when some jazz trained cat tries to show me how good an acoustic sounds through a high end acoustic amp, then look like his dog ran over when I tell him how bad the second fret is buzzing.

I don't give two shits for the salesmen that are in music stores today. Poor customer service, no knowledge...but it sure is fun fuckin with em sometimes...
    I know what you mean. I hate it when you go into a guitar store with an intention to buy. You ask to play a guitar, and they look at you like you couldn't possibly afford it.

They let you play it for like 5 minutes, and then they're back, all twitchy like, saying, "So, you gonna buy it then ? You like it yeah ? She's beautiful isn't she ?"

I hate this. I get to the point where I go, "Look, just leave me to play and then I will let you know. If I like it, you'll have yourself a sale, if I don't then not. However, you keep interrupting me, and I'm not gonna have the chance to see what it can do, and so you're definitely NOT gonna have a sale !"

If they keep pestering, I just walk out and never come back to the shop. Plenty of other guitar shops...

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He works at guitar center, he probably has a hard time remembering his middle name.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if you guys all got high paying IT jobs, were born rich, own your own business or whatever but Guitar Center pays these people slave wages and works them like sweatshop employees. Of course you're not gonna get jackshit for customer service when they don't make any money and hate their jobs. I used to really dislike music store salesmen when I was younger because I didn't realize how bad their job is. They're the same exact thing as someone who goes door to door to sell vacuum cleaners. They're SALESPEOPLE and it has nothing to do with music the same way selling vacuums has nothing to do with cleaning your house. The Guitar Center my ex-bandmate worked at had 3 blonde girls at the door who did nothing but greet people when they came in and when they left. These bitches didn't get hired because they know how to wire pickups - they got hired because they look good and would entice people to buy shit. A matter of fact, when I used to go in there a lot of the other guys who worked there didn't know who I was and every single one of them would try to sell me this Koa strat-style Carvin. I must have tried it out 99 times and it sounded alright, nothing to brag about and played half way decently and my ex-bandmate was like "did they try to stick you with that Carvin yet? It's used, modified with junk pickups and they're all trying to rip someone off with that piece of shit." I don't agree with what they do but to a certain extent I saw how it was on the other side and it ain't pretty.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

their next one
    Favorite VH Song

dance the night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My experience is just back asswards. There is 2 music shops here in Marquette, Mi. One is so small and over priced, and the other is a little bigger. The bigger one has this guy/part owner, that knows his stuff, but is arrogant.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Of course you're not gonna get jackshit for customer service when they don't make any money and hate their jobs.
    I know a couple of guys at a guitar center and they have no trouble with guitar information. If they don't know it then they find out about it quickly. It's how they make their living.
    If your buddies are getting paid jackshit and hate their jobs so bad what the fuck are they doing there?
    All the girls had to do is bob their boobies at the customers, but that's what they were paid for. They weren't expected to have more than 2 or 3 brain cells.
    If I take my car to a mechanic who doesn't know shit and hates his job how many times do you think I'm gonna go back there?
    Of course they're not gonna be as excited about a guitar as a guy off the street cause they're around them all day, but if they "hate" it that much they should be workin at a factory job where the money's better, and all you have to be able to do is spell your name.
    When a guy goes into a guitar center he expects to deal with a salesman who gives a shit about making a sale, and therefore has some clue as to what he's talking about.
    The salesmen I know are guitarists, some in working bands, and they know what they're talking about. They spend the time to make you feel like they want you to purchase something and are up on what they're selling.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Hoobastank6:
    I don't know if you guys all got high paying IT jobs, were born rich, own your own business or whatever but Guitar Center pays these people slave wages and works them like sweatshop employees. Of course you're not gonna get jackshit for customer service when they don't make any money and hate their jobs. I used to really dislike music store salesmen when I was younger because I didn't realize how bad their job is. They're the same exact thing as someone who goes door to door to sell vacuum cleaners. They're SALESPEOPLE and it has nothing to do with music the same way selling vacuums has nothing to do with cleaning your house. The Guitar Center my ex-bandmate worked at had 3 blonde girls at the door who did nothing but greet people when they came in and when they left. These bitches didn't get hired because they know how to wire pickups - they got hired because they look good and would entice people to buy shit. A matter of fact, when I used to go in there a lot of the other guys who worked there didn't know who I was and every single one of them would try to sell me this Koa strat-style Carvin. I must have tried it out 99 times and it sounded alright, nothing to brag about and played half way decently and my ex-bandmate was like "did they try to stick you with that Carvin yet? It's used, modified with junk pickups and they're all trying to rip someone off with that piece of shit." I don't agree with what they do but to a certain extent I saw how it was on the other side and it ain't pretty.
    Sorry but you explained why their pay sucks. THEY'RE not any good at their job. They're salesmen. The more you sale the more you make, the more you know, the more you sale. I've worked a music store sales job. I made twice as much as the other guy working there because I sold my ass off for the commission, he was just there collecting a weekly pay check. Sorry but if you're a salesman the only person to blame about poor pay is yourself.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Along the lines of commision......
    Have you ever went into a Music Store looking for a small nothing part? After they figure out the part your looking for will cost $5.00 tops, they no longer want to talk to you. I had that problem with an Ibanez tremolo. I finally called Ibanez direct and he tried to give me a couple of local dealers. After I told them they were no help he finally just sent me the part at no charge....
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by lovemachine97:
    Okay.

Working in a music store is like this every day:

at least 2-3 hours a day of kids under 12 without their parents repeatedly touching EVERYTHING as loudly as possible.

Hearing about 35 Metallica riffs.

Hearing some jackass two-hand tap for 45 minutes without doing anything else

SOMEONE is bound to play Smooth Criminal.

5 Nirvana Songs

55 to 1 ratio of customers who jerk you off for an hour before they buy a pick to ones who seem slightly interested in buying instead of touching

4 weirdos who will bitch you out (or physically asault you--I've seen it) if you try and show them something they already know. This is opposed to the person who you try and talk normal to and they get mad cause you're talking over their head.

1 guy who always comes in 'cause he's never happy with any purchase and returns and bitches about everything.

3 people who will bargain you down on buying a music stand, mic stand, and cables to where you make no money, then proceed to write 2 bad checks for small amounts--so they KNOW they're bad.

And let's not forget the guy, whom if you have the nerve to even slightly suggest something else, will spend 2 hours telling you why so and so is a better guitarist than so and so. And of course, only HE knows cause HE lived through it. I am too young to know.
    -------------------------------------------------

Bottom line--yes, music store employees get a bad rap. There is obviously a stereotype in any situation for a reason. But its NOT what everyone thinks it is. It's better than other minimum wage jobs, and its okay while going through school and playing in a band. Otherwise, its not what its cracked up to be. I dont' know everything, but I'm out to help people, and am nice about it. Yet, EVERYONE who bitches about GC and SA and Mars employees will still go buy there, 30 minutes away, if they can save $5 dollars.

Sorry guys, customer service is a thing of the past. People are too interested in saving a buck or two. My time is worth something. THAT is why mom and pop stores are a bit more expensive. We price things and MAP, AND add extras, yet if someone can get it for 10 bucks less from some guy who won't be able to help them about anything, they will. I see it all the time. I have not bought one thing from a GC. I buy from mom and pops that I trust--they do me right (of course, that is if we aren't dealers for what I want)

People don't understand that mark ups in the music industry are nothing. when you buy jewelry or furniture, the mark up from cost to retail is like 300%!!! Most basic mark ups in music are way less. IF we match Boss pedal prices, we actually lose money. Some pro-audio mark ups are less than 100%. It's insane. And yet, people claim they want better service, but aren't willing to pay slightly more.

Whatever. The bottom line for a majority of Americans is the bottom dollar. If they cared about service, it'd be there.
    I saw a lot of what you described working a music store. It all gets old quick but you learn how to work around it. About people coming to the mom and pop stores to play something then going to Guitar Center to buy it for 10 dollars less it happens but the store I worked out adapted to it. We don't have a GC or Mars in town but there is a large store just like them full of vanilla run of the mill brand names, marshall, mesa, fender, peavey, gibson, ibanez. All we did was start carrying different stuff that only we had: rivera, trace elliot, hamer, parker, g&l, and kept a nice used section. We also had Marshall but tried to carry the models that the big store didn't have or didn't want people playing, like we always kept to plexi reissues on the floor with powerbrakes on the both them so the amps could be driven to really hear them, we also had a sound room for cranking the amps. We also price matched the big store where we could, especially on pedals, strings, and stuff like that. There are ways to out do the big stores and have a cool store with a good atmosphere.