Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Bought a 5150 cab here in nowhere, Texas, for a whopping $250. This is 50 bucks higher than the first one I bought. So, my total for 2 5150 cabs (both slanted) is $450. Not bad.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

not to be a dick, but you couldn't give me 2 5150 cabs AND $450, I hate them.

I guess they might sound good through Ed's power amps and outboard gear, but to me they're the stiffest, most sterile sounding cabs I've ever used.

What kind of gear are you using?

btw, cool that you got a good deal on them, I just don't care for them myself.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

No offense taken homeunit... (looking up address and calling a hitman [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] )

I'm running a sterile Line 6 POD Pro into a stiff Mesa/Boogie P290 power amp.

Of course, you'd had my setup, because I don't have a nice warm tone sound.. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Getting good cabinets around here cost an arm and a leg, I was extremely lucky to get these for the price. I'd much rather have something else, of course. But, you have to understand this area.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I typed a post that added absolutely nothing intelligent to the story. I can delete all the text, but that's it.

Go ahead and delete it Tribb/HU, if you want.

Sorry.

Anyway, congratulations on the cabs.

[ July 31, 2002, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Majestic ]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey man good find on the cab. I'm not fond of the 5150 cabs much anymore myself. My tastes have changed to wear I like more speaker breakup. But for the setup your running, I bet they sound pretty good! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Are you running stereo now with the two cabs? If I was into the high gain stereo setup like Ed's newer rigs, I'd probably simplify with a J-Station into a stereo power amp and a pair of 4x12's. For high gain stereo setups, the stuff like the J-Station and POD are really good to me. I just have a hard time getting the more classic clanky Marshall sound that I like with the modelers, but the high gain stuff is nice. Enjoy the new cab!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.01.07 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 5150 cabinenets are very good. I use Bogner and Custom Audio amplifiers and they sound amazing thru them.

Maybe it's Homeunit's amp that sounds sterile and lifeless? And how is it possible to hate a speaker cabinet or an amplifier? Sounds pretty stupid to me.

Dont listen to these guys, trust your own ears.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

Well, homeunit has his tastes, I'm not discouraged by what he or tribb says. I appreciate their comments, that's why I post here. These guys, and rol, know quite a bit more about the music than I do.

Besides, if anyone lived here in east Texas where I do, you'd understand, that getting any cabinet for $250 is a steal.

Last Online

07.24.08 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Xaminer:

I use a POD through a similiar set up. I tried the POD with amps and couldn't get the sound like I could direct into a recorder or headphones for that matter. So I bought a 90 watt Crate Pro Studio PA4 and LOOOVe my sound now. I guess the amps were reshaping the sound or something. Now I want the Floorboard and my setup will be complete! (Yeah, right! then I'll want something else!)

Anyway, I'm reading that more and more guitarist's are going the POD / Poweramp / Cab route. It is very versatile and less money, all things compared.

Peace!
    First God - Then Family - Then Money - Then Van Halen

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's all in the speakers, The acual 5150 cabs are built using above average birch ply wood. It is VERY close to what marshall uses. Most average cabs are made of 3/4" 7 ply (which is really closer to 5 ply) birch, the 5150 uses a specialy made 11 ply birch. It is thinner with many more plys. The cab is very good, The speakers on the other hand are BRITE BRIGHT BREYET...I used to use one with a 63 bassman and I really liked it but then I started using a single 15" after that the 5150 sounded EXTEMELY hurting to the ears.

I will say this when people say this cab or that cab "sounds stiff and sterile" I don't know what that means.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by four4for:
    I will say this when people say this cab or that cab "sounds stiff and sterile" I don't know what that means.
    Stiff = little break-up
    Sterile = lack of warmth and unique tone.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Wow, I was trying to avoid a "me too!" commentary on the 5150 cab, but 'stiff' and 'sterile' are 2 words that I agree sum up the sound perfectly.

I do think it's a good match for the 5150 though, which presents a unique sound.

I will say that although the tone isn't very "organic", the 2 times I've heard bands using them at a bar with the volume absolutely cranked, I must admit, the tone wasn't "annoying" at all. I don't personally like to call it the "Brown Sound", but it definitely isn't a tone that bothers my ears at high volume.

People always scratch their heads when I say this, but I actually *WISH* other heavy bands *DID* use the 5150 amp & cabs......just not Eddie.

My favorite setup for him is the Plexi, of course. Or actually, anything with more dynamics....I don't particularly care if it's Marshall.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:

Stiff = little break-up
    Eddie used JBL speakers for years which are over 100 watts each and do not break up at all, not in the slightest yet most VH fans would never call Eddie's old tone "stiff".
    Lots of people use speakers that don't break up.. Heck celestion v30s are the best selling guitar speakers in the world and don't break up at all.

I'ts funny, I remember one of the guys over at plexipalace, one of the well respected guys talking about how Newer marshalls cabs are "stiff and steril" sounding.. That somehow 300Watt cabs don't allow the "soul" to come through or some garbage like that.. anyway he went on complaining that high wattage cabs don't sound good bla bla BUT then he made a comment about Angus Young's tone and how good it was... Well little did he know that Angus uses Celestion V30s (per a long and lenthy artical about the gear Angus and Mal use, published in GW)in his cabs.. The same speakers that come in many new Marshalls.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by four4for:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by homeunit:

Stiff = little break-up
    Eddie used JBL speakers for years which are over 100 watts each and do not break up at all, not in the slightest yet most VH fans would never call Eddie's old tone "stiff".
    Lots of people use speakers that don't break up.. Heck celestion v30s are the best selling guitar speakers in the world and don't break up at all.

I'ts funny, I remember one of the guys over at plexipalace, one of the well respected guys talking about how Newer marshalls cabs are "stiff and steril" sounding.. That somehow 300Watt cabs don't allow the "soul" to come through or some garbage like that.. anyway he went on complaining that high wattage cabs don't sound good bla bla BUT then he made a comment about Angus Young's tone and how good it was... Well little did he know that Angus uses Celestion V30s (per a long and lenthy artical about the gear Angus and Mal use, published in GW)in his cabs.. The same speakers that come in many new Marshalls.
    </font>[/QUOTE]jesus christ dude, don't you ever stop? What is your issue man. I'm just telling it how I hear it. I don't give a flying fuck what's loaded in a cab when I listen to it. If it sounds good, that's good enough for me.

I was quite clear in owning my opinion on how I think the 5150 cabs sound like shit. If it ruffles your feathers that much dude, you need to take a break from the computer.

How old are you?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

07.24.08 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

not to be a dick...
    After your last post, I'm afraid you are.

That's only my opinion though...
    First God - Then Family - Then Money - Then Van Halen

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by four4for:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by homeunit:

Stiff = little break-up

</font>[/QUOTE]jesus christ dude, don't you ever stop? What is your issue man. I'm just telling it how I hear it. I don't give a flying fuck what's loaded in a cab when I listen to it. If it sounds good, that's good enough for me.

I was quite clear in owning my opinion on how I think the 5150 cabs sound like shit. If it ruffles your feathers that much dude, you need to take a break from the computer.

How old are you?
    </font>[/QUOTE]LOL, Actually, I think you should take your own advice because I'm just posting some info and you seem to be ready to have a brain aneurysm...lol