Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If your lead style revolves around playing fast alternately picked passages or fast sweep picked arpeggios (i.e. Impellitteri) these picks are amazing (Dunlop Jazz III's.) They're teardrop shaped and as hard as a rock. Absolutely no flimsyness whatsover so when you're ripping through a really fast lead line you don't have to worry about the pick being wimpy and hanging you up. When I first started using them I had a hard time playing rhthym with them but you get used to it and they become really comfortable. Some people that use them use two picks (Jazz III for lead and a normal shaped pick for rythym like Petrucci from Dream Theater) but I don't think that's necessary. You can find them at most online music store distributors for $2.99 a 6 pack.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know the ones you mean Axe. I can't use those little picks, my fingers get all screwed up in the strings. I did use the dunlop stubbys, which are a larger version of the jazz pick. Those are great picks but you might notice they make your guitar sound too bright in the top end. They move over the strings very quickly though.
    If your guitar has a lot of bottom end they're good picks to even out your tone.
    I've found the best pick for all round use are the dunlop gator grips. I use 96mm and 1.5mm cause I do a lot of pick scraping and those picks are easy to hold onto and take quite a bit of punishment. I can also use a smooth file to take out the nicks and restore the pick to new condition in a minute or two.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I used those picks for years, then one day I started using Dunlops 1mm and that was it. I've gone between 1mm and 1.5mm, but I seem to stick to the 1mm Gators, I love em [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I might try those gator grip picks just to see how they are but I need them to be the same thickness as the Jazz III's are. You guys know what size would be close to the Jazz III thickness in .mm so I know what size to order?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Black, 2mm Gator Grips for me! And. . .I don't have to buy them anymore because Jagermeister finally had some made for me!! Yippppeeeee!!! My band is sponsored by them and they would always send us these other crappy picks, so I'd just use my own. But, they finally broke down and did the ones I use.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the lightist possible for a pick. I dont know why but its easier to play faster, its more smooth sounding. I think ed always used light picks.
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed uses medium picks. Gator grips come that gauge as well as light too.
    The problem with using a dunlop jazz matched to a gator's thickness is that the jazz, like the stubby is 3mm thick I believe, but the pick is rounded for ease and speed, while the gator grips are flat sided. I think you'd find a big difference in the way they handle.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn, those gator picks probably aren't thick enough for me then. I like a really thick pick because I play like Yngwie, Impellitteri, Michael Angelo etc. I like to go through extremely fast runs and anything less than a really heavy pick will slow me down too much. The thing I don't like about the Jazz III's is that you really can't do pickslides with them since they're too hard and have rounded edges that are slightly beveled. I normally can't use anything other than a heavy pick because they're just too flimsy and my alternate/sweep picked runs aren't punchy enough but I'll probably try them anyway.

BTW, how can you possibly play fast with a thin pick? If I was to use a thin pick I'd probably snap the tip right off after 10 seconds of playing. I also thought Ed used Fender heavys on the first album. Yngwie used those also.

[ August 08, 2001 at 11:31 AM: Message edited by: AxeSlinger84 ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found that doing pickslides with the dunlop stubbys really chews the plastic up fast. It seems to be a very brittle plastic, so maybe that's why. The stubbys I used are 3mm, but they come even thicker than that.
    I'm afraid I don't know what kind of pick wengie..sorry Yngwie used, but I do have 10 different picks that Ed used before he had his logo printed on them( no bullshit). These are from back in the early days before the first album. They're all Fenders and all mediums.
    I also have a number with logos and the thickness never seemed to change so I have to assume he always used medium gauge picks.

[ August 08, 2001 at 12:51 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It truly doesnt matter what pick you use, If your good than your going to be good with any pick, if you suck well a pick aint gonna help. Just ask Wengie!!!!!He will tell you.
    Bringing real guitar solos back to music-RIP rhoads and Srv-Rock on vai-Wylde-slash-and eddie!!!!!!!!!!<br /> "I don't like to push the envelope, Id rather chuck grenades into it!" -Ted Nugent-<br /><br /> =PASSION AND WARFARE=<br /> "That stevie vai, what a nice little boy!" -the audience is listening-

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jape Man:
    Black, 2mm Gator Grips for me! And. . .I don't have to buy them anymore because Jagermeister finally had some made for me!! Yippppeeeee!!! My band is sponsored by them and they would always send us these other crappy picks, so I'd just use my own. But, they finally broke down and did the ones I use.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> ok bro, how do i get a hold of a few of those pics with the jagermeister logo printed on them?!
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edward Van Halen:
    It truly doesnt matter what pick you use, If your good than your going to be good with any pick, if you suck well a pick aint gonna help. Just ask Wengie!!!!!He will tell you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree here; I can't play for SHIT with a thin pick. My synchronization is shot as the timing is completely thrown out of whack. It feels wrong and it sounds wrong when I try and use one.

Hell, using a non-pointy pick is enough to drag my ability down a few notches. Same with using a different material for the pick, even if it IS the same shape.

It's like a bow for a violinist; you give them a different type of bow, and they're often f*cked over.

For me, the pick is one of the MOST important factors in my playing style; if I screw with that, I screw myself up.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edward Van Halen:
    It truly doesnt matter what pick you use, If your good than your going to be good with any pick, if you suck well a pick aint gonna help. Just ask Wengie!!!!!He will tell you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not talking how whose good and who sucks. I'm talking about a certain style pick and what it does for you. There's absolutely no way I can play with anything thinner than a .75mm and even that size is stretching it for me. I need a really thick teardrop-shaped pick to ensure that my alternate and sweep picking articulation are intact. I mentioned Jazz III's and also like Dunlop R205's because they're small and compact and keep things from getting clunky. Pick choice and size are very important because if it's not happening in the fingers then where else is it gonna happen?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Axeslinger, they make the Gator Grips in thicker guages than .75. I use the 2mm (the thickest they make). Check em out. . .they don't bend at ALL.

Rick, email me and I'll send you a handful of the Jager picks when they come in!
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find a heavier pick makes a real difference in tone as well. Homeunit told me about the gator grips, and I've tried a few different gauges. Even the thinner gauges, although they're not for me, have that same material which grips well and moves over the strings really well. I was using medium D'Adderio's till recently, and I would go through 3 or 4 a night just during rehearsals cause of all the pick scraping and pick hammering I do. The Dunlop Gator grips are much tougher and have a smoother wear patteren, and usually 1 a night will do me now.
    I just ordered a bag of the 1mm's last week.
    If you like a lighter pick you should check out the gator grip .71mm picks.