Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off, I wanna say yea, this has probably been beaten to death, but I wanted to make a separate topic for it, just the same.

I took my EBMM EVH into the Ernie Ball factory in San Louis Obispo, Ca today. I'm going to have them do a dress and level (since the fretwear wasn't TOO bad and pretty much on the lower register), buff it out, do a factory setup on it, and possibly swap the volume pot.

I was asking the dude there about the differences between the EVH and the Axis. He said that:

-The neck was pretty much the same except for the CADCAM that put the indentations on the EVH.
    -The pickups are the same, because they own the patents unlike EVH with the wolfgang.
    -The obvious selector switch move.
    -He said everything else was identical, but I was in a hurry and didn't get to ask him everything I wanted to, and will try ask more when I pick it up.

I've never played an AXIS and want to know what you guys think about what this dude said and your own experiences, thanks
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you get your evh back play it next to an axis and see if you think he was telling you the truth about. I have no doubt that he was telling you the truth to the best of his ability, but the axis doesn't feel or sound like the original.
    I don't know exactly why that is, but you'll probably be able to tell for yourself once you try them side by side.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    When you get your evh back play it next to an axis and see if you think he was telling you the truth about. I have no doubt that he was telling you the truth to the best of his ability, but the axis doesn't feel or sound like the original.
    I don't know exactly why that is, but you'll probably be able to tell for yourself once you try them side by side.
    he is wrong about the neck, or maybe they changed it but the Axis neck is wider at the nut by a 32nd
    they did this because the EVH model had a problem with the low E wanting to slip off the neck but as I said they might have changed it, and also the body has a contour on the upper backside so it's more comfy to play when you sit down.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup, the whole neck just feels bigger, and the trem is slightly wider for a wider string spacing. Also the routes in the back are larger, possibly to accomidate a tone control.
    You can't put an axis bridge on an evh. It won't space the strings properly.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea he mentioned something about the heel too...

Rols you're talking about the High E right? I've noticed that the high E does have a tendency to not have much wood beneath it, and it's going to take a little getting used to.

Tonewise, how do you think it stacks up? Since they own the patents I have no reason to believe they aren't the same pickups.

I would like to take the EVH in somewhere, but I just wonder if Guitar Center or someonelse would be dicks about it y'know?

Man, one fuckin time I had some repairs done to a bad ground on my Jackson at this music store up north in Fairfield, Ca. Well, I picked it up, and took her in the soundproof for some amp testing. Well, I'm in there, and the sales folk had usually been cool.

Well this guy comes in here "Whose case is that, what are you doing, is that your guitar" and shit. So I told him yea it's mine, I just had it repaired here and he's spewin "Well you're not supposed to bring it in here, we can have people stealin guitars like that." And it fuckin pissed me off man. I felt like tellin em "Well yea I was gonna buy that amp off you, but since you're a fucking dick, go eat a dick."

I don't know what you guys have experienced, but I've noticed that ALOT of salesmen are fucking clowns...car salesmemen in a music store...shit.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to take the EVH in somewhere, but I just wonder if Guitar Center or someonelse would be dicks about it y'know?
    What would you be taking it in for if EBMM is doing the work for you?
    If you want to find a luthier to do any future work for you, then look around for a guy who works privately out of his own shop, and specializes in electric solid bodies.
    You can check the yellow pages, or hit some music stores and ask who they can recommend. Most stores will send their guitars out for refret work, so ask who does it and contact them yourself.
    I'm talking about a guy like Rols, who works privately. That way you're dealing with him one on one. You can see what he's able to do, and don't have to leave your guitar unless your comfortable with his answers and his work.
    As far as the EVH vs. Axis controversy, Ed specifically designed the EVH for himself. I noticed the slight roll off on the high E, but since it's an exact digital copy of his favorite neck I assume it was the same on his original striper, as far as the string spacing. He put a lot of time and effort into the EVH design, which he said he'd drawn himself years earlier. After you play it awhile the string rolloff is no problem. Your hands learn to accomidate it and avoid it.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ultimately have to defer to tribb on this one, since I believe he has owned at least a few of each, but for my money, the two are close enough that the Axis makes for a very suitable backup to the EVH. That's the situation I've got going. The EVH, being my main guitar for the past 9 years, is obviously more comfortable to me, but the Axis (which I bought specifically as a backup) is great too. I frankly don't really mind all that much which one I'm playing at a given time. Any differences in tone are minimal, IMO. And some of the construction differences (particularly the contour) are for the better.

I've heard talk recently about EB's quality going downhill. I played an Axis in GC recently when I was amp shopping, and it seemed perfectly fine to me. If somebody forced me to trade in my Axis (which is from 97, I think) for it, I wouldn't mind a bit.

Speaking of volume pots, I noticed yesterday that my EVH still leaks out a bit of signal even with the volume all the way off. This would be a first for me and this guitar. Anybody else experienced this? I've had the switch replaced a few times, so I guess I'll grab a pot soon.

Oh, and one more happy note. The aforementioned amp shopping...I ended up picking up a Budda Superdrive head. Man, what an amp that is. In particular, for anybody that digs a Fair Warning type of brown sound...it will bring a tear to your eye, guaranteed!

ratter.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah, Ernie Ball did the dress/level, pot replacement, buffed out the body, and set it up to factory specs. The top does indeed look immaculate guys, and I'll get a picture up of it as soon as I find a digital camera, and a place to host it. I don't know if photopoint.com is still around.

The only reason I wanted to take it to guitar center, is to play it alongside an Axis, plugged in. Just don't want to be hassled by any clowns.

Yea, I know the whole story behind the Genesis of the EBMM EVH Tribb, but was just curious as to other people's assessment of the Axis as in being almost identical to the tone of the instrument.
    There's going to be small differences obviously, and of course the playability differences. But yea, of course, the only way I'll know is to play one along side it.

Hey Tribb, I got your email awhile back man, and that serial no: 80486, is either no. 86, and if not, it is definitely one of the first 100. It's definitely time to get hardshell for this pup. I went to guitar center and asked if there was an exclusive case for the Axis, but all they had were straight Music Man cases, for a hundred bucks. Small price to pay I guess...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a good idea, play them side by side.
    You can get the black original EBMM cases on ebay for about 50. if you look, but 100. isn't bad for a new original style case.
    As far as the no. goes, I checked with a buddy of mine at EBMM and your guitar was made in sept. of 91. It's the 486th one off the line. I wish I could tell you that it's one of the first 100 off the line but unfortunatley it isn't.
    It's still a very early one though.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a good idea, play them side by side.
    You can get the black original EBMM cases on ebay for about 50. if you look, but 100. isn't bad for a new original style case.
    As far as the no. goes, I checked with a buddy of mine at EBMM and your guitar was made in sept. of 91. It's the 486th one off the line. I wish I could tell you that it's one of the first 100 off the line but unfortunatley it isn't.
    It's still a very early one though.
    Who's your buddy at Ernie Ball?

It's kind of hard for the guitar be made in September when it was bought in August. The dude at Ernie Ball I talked to, checked the books, said it was made in August, the dude I bought it from has the sales receipt showing it purchased on Aug. 19. The Ernie Ball rep was the one that said it was one of the first 100.

I'm just going off the information I received firsthand, and if you're buddy at Ernie Ball is a reliable source, I'd like to email him myself if possible.

[ June 25, 2002, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: TheMightyCopenHalenII ]
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oops, you're right. Mine was made in sept. Yours was august. That was just my stupidity. When I spoke to you by email a while ago I'm sure I told you it was made in august at that time.
    My buddy at EBMM is someone I've known for about 11 years.
    If I told you that I'd rather not give out his name I know it'll be taken like I have some inside information, which isn't true and I don't need the hassle. He's just a friend who gives me reliable information about EBMM guitars when I need it, and is generally cool to shoot the shit with.
    He used to be a guy I knew at EBMM but for a no. of years now he's become a friend who happens to work at EBMM and was there during production of the evh.
    I used to talk to him only at the factory, and now we talk as friends and there's no way I'm just giving his name out, take it as you will.

If your EBMM was one of the first 100, then that means from later in 90 to august of 91 they only made 100 guitars, forget about the rare solid black and gold ones and the 60-100 green tops they made. Since the number on mine is about 100 after yours that means mine would be 1 of about 200 they made in over a year. I don't think that's very realistic when they were making about 1000-1200 a year at the time. I don't know what Ernie Ball rep looking at a ser.# higher than 400 would say it's one of the first 100 made. The last 3 numbers on yours indicate the order it came off the line, but if you want to think it's under 100 then more power to ya.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII:

Hey Tribb, I got your email awhile back man, and that serial no: 80486
    Isn't that a computer processor? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Abe. The prodigal son has returned. Good to see you back in here and I hope everything's cool.
    Wengie's pining away for you. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wengie's pining away for you. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Hey, there are NO twinkies here, so he wouldn't be interested!
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've received somewhat mixed information from the two reps I have talked to.

The guy over the phone said he wouldn't be able to tell me exactly which no. it was, and that they just sort of slapped on neckplates.

The dude I met in person, is the one that looked it up, and said it was one of the first 100. I don't want to misquote him, but I believe he said the production of the guitars started in June. Not prototypes, production models.

I don't WANT to believe anything man. I just want to speak to the most reliable source possible.

Nevertheless, it's still a hell of an instrument, and it's still a fairly early model, regardless.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!