Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

What in the hell is going on here? I was checking out new products on the Peavey website when I came across "Wolfgang QT Special". I was excited until I read the text. "in development for two years, the first international series Wolfgang". I did some checking and Peavey is actually going to make Wolfgangs in fucking Korea. I just about fell out of my chair. After all the bullshit about quality control, and Edwards demanding specifications, they are going to make the fucker in Goddamn Korea. I'm now not regretting switching to an Axis now. At least the cheap piece of crap Axis copies don't say Axis on them. What a sad day for the Wolfgang. I would have thought Eddie would have learned his lesson with Kramer, and put his foot up Hartley Peavey's ass for even suggesting it!
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Apparently Ed's into the business end of things now. From what I understand the Korean wolfs won't have Ed's sig. on the back, as well as some other changes to the insrtument.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

House of Pain
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just because something is made in Korea or Japan or wherever, it doesn't mean it's a piece of shit. Conversely, just because it's made in the USA it doesn't mean that it's good. I don't own a Wolfgang, but from reading the message boards here and over at Peavey, and listening to Wolfgang owners,it seems Peavey has its share of quality control issues. Quality stuff can be made in other parts of the world as well. As for Eddie supporting only American companies, I remember when he played a Marshall and guitars that were made of parts from God knows where and I remember liking his sound a whole lot more then. Sorry, but I'm disappointed with Eddie's sound since he switched everthing to Peavey. Nothing sounded better than Ed playing a Kramer through a Marshall and I don't care where any of his shit comes from

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by crs1984:
    Just because something is made in Korea or Japan or wherever, it doesn't mean it's a piece of shit. Conversely, just because it's made in the USA it doesn't mean that it's good.
    Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo. crapola. nuff said.

yes, i'm a USA snob, at least on guitars and cars. so shoot me...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think it's fair to compare USA vs Korea when it's said from the get go that these are economy friendly guitars. EVH won't be playing them,(like he's playing any guitar now)kids who can't afford $2000 guitars will be buying them.
    This was discussed quite a bit several months ago.
    Check the posts out from late Jan to early Feb and you'll be able to read everyones opinion instead of rehashing what has all ready been said.

As far as cars go, yeah the Ford Pinto was of stellar quality.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by crs1984:
    Just because something is made in Korea or Japan or wherever, it doesn't mean it's a piece of shit. Conversely, just because it's made in the USA it doesn't mean that it's good.
    Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo. crapola. nuff said.

yes, i'm a USA snob, at least on guitars and cars. so shoot me...
    </font>[/QUOTE]Cars??????? I'll keep this brief because this is a guitar forum, but US cars have to be the most inefficient, heavy pieces of shit going 'round!!! There are sooooo many better cars out there from non US countries!

[ March 20, 2002 at 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Romeo Delight ]</p>
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

Look guys, I'm not trying to say you can't get a halfway decent guitar out of another country, but I remember how Eddie would hold up production in Meridian if he wasn't happy with the finished product. What, is he going to fly to the Korean factory and check quality before those guitars ship. That's what made Wolfgangs so special. Peavey was not particularly known for quality guitars until the Wolfgang, and the Wolfgang was such high quality because Eddie wouldn't let them ship crap. One of the things about a Wolfgang that made it desirable to own was the fact that, along with playability, tone, and quality, it had a certian amount of status. You had to work hard and pay your dues to own one. Besides, this arguement that "It's for the guy who can't afford to pay $1000.00 on a guitar", is crap. These are going to be about $700.00 or $800.00. The only thing they will accomplish with this is to cheapen the value of the original Wolfgang by ruining it's status as an American made, quality powerhouse. By the way, I'm sorry if this has been discussed, and I'm rehashin old shit, but this information is new to me, and pissed me off. I'm glad now to be a former Wolfgang owner.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The thing that I think is the most appealing about this is that Peavey surely wouldn't keep developing new models etc if there wasn't some likelyhood that Ed would be out there promoting them! This could be perceived as positive news in that respect. I would have thought Peavey would be pretty pissed at the fact VH hasn't done anything lately. This could be a hint that they ain't done yet!
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

House of Pain
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know, this news might also mean that Peavey is simply trying to ween its consumers away from the official Wolfgang and over to the Korean model without Eddie's official endorsement because Van Halen is done and won't be doing anything any time soon. How long can Eddie endorse a Wolfgang guitar and not be actively making music? I guess he can do that indefinitely, but how long will Peavey wait? I doubt Peavey wants to be cranking out Wolfgangs for a guy who is not active in the business anymore and has no plans for the future. Likewise, I don't think Yamaha can be happy with Michael Anthony either. Yamaha was probably anticipating a reunion and signed Mikey on. While Eddie's name is huge and always will be with guitar players, it might be hard for him to maintain an endorsement deal with anyone if he is retired. John McEnroe is a great tennis player, but no racket company is going to be looking for his endorsement any time soon. The same might apply to Eddie if he doesn't get off his butt and do something.

Maybe the Korean model is meant to get people to accept a product that is similar to the Wolfgang because Eddie might not fit into their long-range plans. Make a model that resembles the Wolfgang, get it established while the official Wolf is still in production, and then if Eddie calls it quits (which I think will be the eventual outcome with VH), Peavey still has a product to make money on and not have to worry about Eddie and his Wolfgang.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I understand, the Peavey wolfgang is pretty much owned by Ed...

so if Ed calls it quits and he wants to take the wolf, I think he can, irrespective of hartley's wishes to continue making them. I don't know the story behind these korean wolfgangs...

However, even if Yamaha and Peavey are peeved at Mike and Ed for not doing anything, I don't think it means too much to Peavey in the long run.

Peavey has experienced a heightened stature in the MI industry as a result of Eddie joining them....Peavey wants to continue enjoying that.

As far as having signiature models for inactive players, Fender does it all the time. There's a James Burton model Tele that Fender has been making long since Burton killed himself...

-F

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

not to mention the SRV model. and Gibson has the Chet Atkins, and a John Lennon Epiphone...typically the import lines allow the manufacturer to keep the US line. there's a bigger market for a $300 guitar than there is for a $1500 and up guitar, if they sell more $300 guitars it offsets the few $1500 they sell. that and the $300 guitar is cheaper to make, with cheaper components and lower labor costs, versus the higher quality (and $) components on the US model, with more of a handmade (higher labor cost) construction.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 21 Posts

I dunno -- this sounds a lot like the Kramer story to me.

Before Ed signed on and even through his early relationship to Kramer, Kramer was a fairly high-end guitar known for its quality. After Ed signed on, Kramer attempted to make a high quality, economical guitar -- the "Focus" line -- which originally was made in Japan by ESP. The original Focus was an excellent guitar(I have owned one since 1985). But then Kramer became hugely popular (and signed just about every 80s hair band guitarist to sponsorships -- including Mick Mars -- the worst guitar player ever to make millions of dollars). It introduced the "Striker" line and moved the "Focus" production to Korea. The result -- Kramers lost the quality.

Peavey has a successful quality, high end guitar in the Wolfgang Standard series and a successful quality economical version in the Wolfgang Special (I have one of these). Introducing a Korean made Wolfie, like the Striker, smells of desperation and will probably raise questions of quality.

Then, like the Kramer story, loyal Ed will jump ship to a new company and within a short while this Board will be touting a new company.

My bet is that Wayne Charvel will be making some hybrid version of the Wolfie/EVH/Kramer within 2 years and will be marketing it as a return by Ed to his musical roots.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Ed will jump ship to these guitars:

www.girlbrand.com
    Your favorite band sucks.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Smokin' 5150:
    My bet is that Wayne Charvel will be making some hybrid version of the Wolfie/EVH/Kramer within 2 years and will be marketing it as a return by Ed to his musical roots.
    I hope you're right

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolfgangs of any description are as rare as rockin' horse shit round here...so if the OLP is made of the same materials as the US version, [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] ?
    One of the only reasons for makin' any product overseas is labour costs...a bowl of rice is a lot easier to fund than a new car and 3 holidays a year [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Come on folks lets face it...Ed's makin' money whats wrong with that, you dont have to buy the OLP after all [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

The Wolf standard RRP is 1399

The Wolf QT RRP is 399

@ $1.40 to the .....need I say more

BTW has anybody compared the OLP with the US version....