Thread: Effects Advice

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

I purchased a Budda amp that does not have reverb . I`m thinking about the new Boss Rv5 or the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail , can anyone suggest anything else that won`t cost a fortune . The only other stompboxes I use are Maxon Delay and Boss Super Chourus(for clean sounds) and I`ve always run them in front of the amp . When I get a reverb box should I run it in the effects loop or in front of the amp or should I run everthing through the effects loop?
    Thanks!
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

My experience with effects has time and time again led me expect that for the most part quality tone comes with a high price tag, that's all there is to it, especially with reverbs and delays.

I've tried tons and tons of pedals, rack shit and to me analog effects are best. The thing to do is try as many different pedals as you can, through your gear (without looking at the price tag) and let your ears decide.

I wasn’t too impressed with the Boss reverbs (or delays for that matter) but I hear good things about Electo harmonix gear.

As far as effects loops go I’ve found that they’re pretty much useless. For the most part they make your effects sound like shit. Try it though, yours may work for you. Just remember NO gain effects through it.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which Budda did you get? Those are great amps! I owned a SuperDrive 30 that I'm soon going to replace, but I may move to the SuperDrive 80. I'd try the Holy Grail, I've heard good things about it. I had good results with verbs and delay's through my Super Drive 30's effects loop. Some effects loops on amps just suck some are done right, the Budda IMO is one that is done right. Reverb is not going to sound good at all in the front end of a distorted amp at all, so I'd definitely run it through the loop. Remeber less is more with reverb and delay. Use the amps tone as the main sound and sprinkle in a little of whatever effect you want to add.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats on the amp purchase...I have a Superdrive 80. Best amp I've ever heard/played for the kind of sound that I dig.

My thoughts on the effects issue. In general, run any time-based effects in the loop (delay, reverb, chorus, flange, etc.) UNLESS, of course, they work better in front of the amp. Something like a Phase 90 or a chorus pedal, because of input and output level issues, might work better in front of a given amp than in it's loop.

Second, don't skimp on effects. I'd MUCH rather go without any particular effect than with a bad one. It's worth saving for the good stuff...after all, why spend the dollars on a pricey amp if you're going to suck all the tone out of it with subpar effects? [img]smile.gif[/img]