Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright ladies, I need some feedback here please, if you don't mind.
    This for you players that use, have used, or are planning to use a power attenuator like the THD hotplate, marshall powerbreak, yellowjacket tubes or some other type of commercial or homemade attenuator.
    I know the Shulz powersoak is a tranny killer, but the THD and marshall PB are supposed to be good, without the ampfry factor.
    What do you guys think?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I've heard the thd is good, but the Marshall PB is awefull rough on the tranny as well. There have been a few 5150's in L&M because of the Marshall PB.

Also the setups I've heard with the PB sound like shit.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, I'm much more interested in the THD unit, which has a much better reputation.
    5150's don't tend to do well with any kind of attenuator.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Powerbrake in my opinion just robs the amp of tone. Granted I haven't heard an attenuator yet that doesn't suck some tone, but the PB just kills the tone to my ears. I've borrowed a Hotplate for a month from the tech who works on my stuff and it works great with my 71 JMP. The bright and deep switches really help the tone under extreme attenuation. But my favorite way to run the Hotplate was just to attenuate the Marshall enough to turn everything on 10 and bring the volume down just enought to mix with the band.

I saw you mentioned yellow jackets as well. Its a misconception that these are an option for controlling volume. I have a pair in my 5150 right now and while I love the tonal change they bring, make no mistake you're not cutting that much volume. The main purpose of the Yellow Jackets is tonal not loudness. The convert the power tube section to cathode biased EL84 power. Think about it like this. A Vox AC30 runs on 4 cathode biased EL84's, ever cranked one up? On paper it seems you'd have a big volume drop but there's not much difference in volume but the tonal change is nice. I'm really liking them in my 5150. I'm running it with two Yellow Jackets and two JJ 6l6's. They really give the amp more touch sensitivity and dyanmics.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Larry, that answers a couple of questions for me.
    I guess I'll have to get one and experiment with it for awhile.
    Anybody else have any experience with the hotplate.
    I wonder if Ed would have used one if they were around at the time.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most THD dealers have a sort of grace period, to give you the option to send it back if you don't like it. Weber VST also recently added their attenuator to the market. It's called MASS. I've seen mixed opinions on it, some say its better than the hotplate, some say it's not as good. One thing everyone does agree on is that its a lot of bang for the buck, because its about half the price of the hotplate.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

I use a THD Hotplate with my 71 super lead, and it's really great. But, I have to say that the Hotplate doesn't work equally well with other amps. It really doesn't work well with my Bogner Ecstasy for some reason. I've used it with late 70s master volume marshalls and again, it's great. So try it out first.

What's up Tribb? Homeunit? Long time no talk.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Jape Man, where've you been? Good to see you back here.
    I was hoping you'd say that about the hotplate.
    Maybe it's the amp circuitry, but since I'll be using it for marshalls that's good news.

Eruption
    Last Online

Hey Tribb,

I've been busy. I still lurk here once in awhile though. The lack of VH news has kinda killed my attendance to this site. Plus, my band just signed a deal with Chad Kroeger and his 604 Records label so hopefully, we'll be very busy really soon.

I don't know why the THD responds differently with the Bogner. I thought it might by a master volume issue, but the THD works great with master volume Marshalls. So, I don't know.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Japeman, I think it may have something to do with the way the Bogner's preamp is designed. The Bogners that I've played particularly the Shiva seemed to retain most of the good parts of the tone at almost any level. From my ears it sounded like the amp was designed to sound best in the gig volume area but still sounds good at lower levels, good enough that I wouldn't even bother with the hotplate if I bought a Shiva. And with the little time I had with an Ecstasy 101B I had the same thoughts.

Congrats on the record deal!! Isn't that the guy from Nickleback? Sounds like more big things coming your way!

Eruption
    Last Online

Yeah, the Bogners sound good at almost all levels, but as usual, it's nice to get them up a little louder than normal to get all the really cools tones. But, with the hotplate, it's not meant to be. . .at least with the Bogner. I use the 101B, but the shivas are really cool too.

Yes, Chad Kroeger is the Nickelback guy. the first band signed to his label was Theory Of A Deadman, and they're doing very well right now. They just started a tour with Saliva and Audiovent, and their single "Nothing Could Come Between Us" is doing very well on rock radio. So, I'm taking that as a good sign for things to come. right now, we're waiting on the 604 label to acquire our US/worldwide deal, and then we're off to the races. . .probably with Chad producing the CD.
    www.facebook.com/revery

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

PANAMA
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good luck Jape-Man, we all expect back stage passes for your first world tour.

Eruption
    Last Online

Will do!
    www.facebook.com/revery

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Yeah Jape, don't forget all us losers that will still post on this board after you're gone.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

chad grew up a couple hours down the road from where i live. so did theory of a deadman, actually. jape man, good luck man, i'm no psychic but i forsee good things in your future. congrats.