Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Power Brake??

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am considering a Power Brake for my 50wt Marshall combo. It's just too loud in the house.

Please give me some feedback (tone, likes, dislikes, etc.) if you have used the Power Brake.

Thanks!
    LightBulb5150<br />I bring things to light.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

I bought one off of ebay about a month ago and I like it alot. I have a Fender Stage 100 (soon to be replaced) and I was in the same situation with the loud factor. To me the tone I am getting with the amp is great and the volume is perfect for at home. I am pleased with the purchase.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by LightBulb5150:
    I am considering a Power Brake for my 50wt Marshall combo. It's just too loud in the house.

Please give me some feedback (tone, likes, dislikes, etc.) if you have used the Power Brake.

Thanks!
    the only thing I have heard bad about them is that you can kill your amp quicker if you are running your amp cranked into it. and since we are on this subject anyone know the difference between a power brake and say a palmer speaker simulater ??
    Rol.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rol, Powerbrakes, Hotplates, Palmer emulators, etc... don't cause direct damage to amps. However, when you use them you run your amp harder so the tubes obviously don't last as long When you run the amp on 10 through an attenuator the tubes wear faster than if you were running it on 1. An amp on 10 through a Powerbrake is still an amp on 10 so you could say the power tube life is shortened but not because of the Powerbrake but because the you're pushing the tubes harder when you use the Powerbrake.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

and since we are on this subject anyone know the difference between a power brake and say a palmer speaker simulater ??
    A power brake is soaking up voltage between the power amp & the speaker cab.

A Palmer Speaker Simulator, to my knowledge, is purely for recording purposes. In other words, you don't have to use the cabs at all, although I believe you can still send the signal right on through if you wish.

You send the output of your amp into the Palmer, which steals a small amount of signal, usually just enough to be used for recording, which goes into your mixing board, computer, whatever. If you're asking if it's possible to get recorded cranked-amp sounds with this, my guess would be 'yes'.

The actual "purpose" of the Palmer is to help you avoid having to go through the hassle of properly miking an amp......*I think*.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />and since we are on this subject anyone know the difference between a power brake and say a palmer speaker simulater ??
    A power brake is soaking up voltage between the power amp & the speaker cab.

A Palmer Speaker Simulator, to my knowledge, is purely for recording purposes. In other words, you don't have to use the cabs at all, although I believe you can still send the signal right on through if you wish.

You send the output of your amp into the Palmer, which steals a small amount of signal, usually just enough to be used for recording, which goes into your mixing board, computer, whatever. If you're asking if it's possible to get recorded cranked-amp sounds with this, my guess would be 'yes'.

The actual "purpose" of the Palmer is to help you avoid having to go through the hassle of properly miking an amp......*I think*.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yep I think that was the original "purpose". But they make several Palmer units. They have the one's that simulate the load of a speaker cab so you can skip the cab on sending the amp direct to the board or whatever. I think the "loadbox" type models also have the ability to attenuate the signal going to the cab as well like a Powerbrake. They also have the less expensive model that still requires that you use a speaker load. It's in true form a "thru box" where the signal from the amp to cab goes through the unit and there is a line out to tap a line level signal from your amp's output signal.

Knowing all this is why I prefer the THD Hotplate. It does all of this stuff. It can be a plain out attenuator for reducing volume between amp and speaker, a load box to eliminate the speaker load all together, or a thru box.