Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb, have you tried out the THD Univalve ?
    with the built in Hotplate ?? I was curious about this and just might have to buy one, I understand if you use it as a preamp it can really kick ass
    and the tube changing thing is really cool.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No I haven't yet Rol, but I've heard good and bad things about it. A friend who works in a music store downtown, that carries THD products said he wasn't impressed by it. I'll try it out next time I'm down there, even though it's way out of my price range. Money's tight at the moment.
    From what I understand it's basically about 15 watts output, which is too low to play live with but good for recording. I'm still working on picking up a hotplate to use with my other amps.
    I've heard so many mixed reviews about it that I think before you buy it you should really try one out. You need top quality tubes to make it sound good, and every room you play it in will cause it to sound different.
    As far as quality goes I'm sure it's excellent but it's a small head for the money. I guess I'm flip flopping here.
    I still have to check it out though so I might try it and fall in love with it. I still won't be able to afford it though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    No I haven't yet Rol, but I've heard good and bad things about it. A friend who works in a music store downtown, that carries THD products said he wasn't impressed by it. I'll try it out next time I'm down there, even though it's way out of my price range. Money's tight at the moment.
    From what I understand it's basically about 15 watts output, which is too low to play live with but good for recording. I'm still working on picking up a hotplate to use with my other amps.
    I've heard so many mixed reviews about it that I think before you buy it you should really try one out. You need top quality tubes to make it sound good, and every room you play it in will cause it to sound different.
    As far as quality goes I'm sure it's excellent but it's a small head for the money. I guess I'm flip flopping here.
    I still have to check it out though so I might try it and fall in love with it. I still won't be able to afford it though.
    I too have heard good and bad but you have to wonder what tubes these people that didn' like it were trying ? you can change pre and power tubes and from what I hear you can get what you want if you experiment enough, and as I said about live playing if I likesd it I'd preamp it into effects then to a power amp and it can be as loud as you wanted
    Rol.

btw I see them used for $550 ish that isn't bad IMO

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rol, I wish I would've known that you were interested. I just sold my Univalve, and I would've let you get it for a little better price. Anyway, the UV is a killer amp whether you preamp or just run it balls out. I've got to disagree with Tribb about the volume. If you're using it for distortion the thing is plenty loud for gigging. For clean you'd need to mic it or power amp it. If you get one and start experimenting with tubes don't discount the effect that the preamp tubes will make. When I first got mine I was trying mostly different power amp tubes but sticking with different brands of 12ax7's in the preamp. The amp was doing something I didn't like, and Ed at THD said the amp was doing what he called hitting a brick wall from the output of the 12ax7's and kind making a splat overtone in the sound. He steered me toward trying some new old stock 5814, 7025, and other lower gain type preamp tubes. This made the difference as I was able to juice the UV all the way up and drive the piss out of the power tube without raspiness or harsh overtones. I honestly think that the tubes that the amp comes with are my least favorite combination so keep that in mind when you play one. I think they get the best Marshall type sound with 7025 in the driver and a 5814 in the phase inverter pushing an EL34.

Some advice if you're trying to get a dead on Marshall sound, just get a Marshall, because while Univalve can sound pretty Marshally it still has its own unique voice. Still though, its one of the best feature loaded amps out there that still keeps a nice vintage tone.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by LarryJ:
    Rol, I wish I would've known that you were interested. I just sold my Univalve, and I would've let you get it for a little better price. Anyway, the UV is a killer amp whether you preamp or just run it balls out. I've got to disagree with Tribb about the volume. If you're using it for distortion the thing is plenty loud for gigging. For clean you'd need to mic it or power amp it. If you get one and start experimenting with tubes don't discount the effect that the preamp tubes will make. When I first got mine I was trying mostly different power amp tubes but sticking with different brands of 12ax7's in the preamp. The amp was doing something I didn't like, and Ed at THD said the amp was doing what he called hitting a brick wall from the output of the 12ax7's and kind making a splat overtone in the sound. He steered me toward trying some new old stock 5814, 7025, and other lower gain type preamp tubes. This made the difference as I was able to juice the UV all the way up and drive the piss out of the power tube without raspiness or harsh overtones. I honestly think that the tubes that the amp comes with are my least favorite combination so keep that in mind when you play one. I think they get the best Marshall type sound with 7025 in the driver and a 5814 in the phase inverter pushing an EL34.

Some advice if you're trying to get a dead on Marshall sound, just get a Marshall, because while Univalve can sound pretty Marshally it still has its own unique voice. Still though, its one of the best feature loaded amps out there that still keeps a nice vintage tone.
    Thanks Larry, I Just bought a Modded Marshall
    JCM 800 and I'll see what it's like with and without a hotplate before I try a Univalve.
    it's X-mas time so it will be a while before I complete the gear I want for this Marshall Head this will be a complete different setup all on it's own .
    I'm thinking of scrapping the 5150's and just power amping my current setup, maybe with a 60\60 or something like that I dunno if I want a solid state power amp I don't think I'd ever want 100% solid state.......ohh the thought..
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rol if you're gonna use a hotplate with your marshall head bring the master up full, and use your preamp gain as a master volume, tuning in more attenuation on the hotplate to drop the volume.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    Rol if you're gonna use a hotplate with your marshall head bring the master up full, and use your preamp gain as a master volume, tuning in more attenuation on the hotplate to drop the volume.
    gotcha !! thanks for the info !!
    and did we ever come to a conclusion on what is the best dummy load out there ? I know there is the Palmer, the hotplate, the power brake what else is there ??
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard the Palmer is a pretty good unit.
    The Weber Mass is supposed to be ok, but there's some tone problems with it.
    I'm sure there's more, but the hotplate does no damage, which is very important, and there isn't too much compression and the bright and bass switches compensate so the hotplate seems to be the way to go.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just think how far things have come since the old Scholz Power Soak days. I've been interested in these newer types but I'm too chicken to try them out on my stuff. I just keep getting flashbacks of power transformer replacements.

I have a buddy who has a Marshall Triple Super Lead, and it has a button on it to attenuate the power...which I am guessing is just disabling half of the power amp, instead of actually being a Power Brake or whatever. It sounds good whatever it is though..
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com