Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.03.05 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have come into possesion of a 20 year old Doobie GK60E amp. I've never heard of the make, many some of you have. I think it's some kind of Boogie rip-off.

Anyway, the previous owner tells me it's not been used for 15 years. It sounds quite good, but the volume crackles on and off intermetantly, as does the reverb, and the knobs crackle when you turn them.

Is this because the amp hasn't been used for so long and it's still 'warming up', or is it a more terminal issue do you think? Thanks for any advice.

By the way, I got one of those infamous Kramers off musicyo. A Striker FR424SM. I accept that there're not the original deal, but for £200 this thing plays, sounds, and looks great. Very nicely put together too. For an impoverised player like myself this axe is a godsend.

Now if I could get that amp to work...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have NEVER heard of that amp, but I will tell what little I can with the info you have given.

First, get some tuner bath (contact cleaner) and spray all the pots as best you can, especially the volume. Take the knobs off to get at them, or open the amp up IF you know how to do it safely. This should get rid of the noise when turning them, and MAYBE stop your intermittent volume problems.

Is this a tube amp or solid state? If it is a tube amp, I would change ALL the tubes in it ASAP if they are old as well. Make sure the amp is biased ok, or new, high output tubes can often fry an improperly biased amp. Bad tubes, especially in the power section, can damage your amp. Spraying ALL the components with cleaner isn't a bad idea as well.

With old amps, the capacitors may have dried up from lack of use. If that is the case, you may wish to have a good tech replace them. Basically, have a repairman check over the whole thing; it may even be unsafe as it is, so yur life is worth the cost I hope! If it sounds good, then it is probably worth having it repaired.

Reverbs are tricky; sometimes the driver (a 12Ax7, 12AT7, or 12AU7 in most cases) might be shotty, so replacing the preamp tubes wouldn't hurt. When the transducer in the reverb tank goes, you usually need to replace the whole unit. They aren't usually too expensive, but you have to get one whose impedance matches yours, or it won't work too well, if at all.

Other than that, without further info, I can't help you much more. Anything else you can post might make it easier, but your best bet would be a good repairman. (one you trust won't rip you off)

Good luck!
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Sounds like she just needs a cleaning bro
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.03.05 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. Its a solid state amp by the way. Anyway, I'll try cleaning it (the easiest option there!), and if that doesn't work I guess I'll see someone who knows what there're doing. I hate to think what I'd do to the inside of an amp - or what the inside of an amp would do to me! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What HomeUnit said.
    Make sure the pots are cleaned, and make sure some moron hasn't pulled the ground pin, if it has one, out of the plug.
    To spray the pots properly for cleaning you've got to get into the amp, and around behind them, so be careful.
    Watch those capacitors. If they're fully charged and you touch them, they'll blow you a new asshole..

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:
    If they're fully charged and you touch them, they'll blow you a new asshole.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!!

I just got a mental picture of a guy standing there with a capaciter in one hand and a shit stain on the wall behind him!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:

Watch those capacitors. If they're fully charged and you touch them, they'll blow you a new asshole..
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That happened to me once, except it just threw me across the room. I was lucky, had I stuck to it instead of being repelled, I would most likely be dead.

Anyway, being solid state, cleaning SHOULD do the trick. By the way, on SOME pots, you can simply pull on them a bit to allow the cleaner to get inside, so you may not have to gut the whole thing. But if you must, keep 1 hand in your back pocket the whole time it's open, just to be safe.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.