Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A buddy of mine is thinking about buying a new guitar and he asked for my suggestions. He's a pretty good player, but he doesn't know alot about guitars, so I thought I would ask yous guys. I told him to try the Axis, Wolf and LP Custom. He's open to just about anything (single/humbucker, stop tail/floyd, etc.) and he's in the $1000 - $2000 price range. Any suggestions?
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by P1:
    A buddy of mine is thinking about buying a new guitar and he asked for my suggestions. He's a pretty good player, but he doesn't know alot about guitars, so I thought I would ask yous guys. I told him to try the Axis, Wolf and LP Custom. He's open to just about anything (single/humbucker, stop tail/floyd, etc.) and he's in the $1000 - $2000 price range. Any suggestions?
    $1k to $2k is a big neighborhood! (Nice neighborhood, too!) Especially if you're talking both new and used...

My *starting* points, by category, might be:

Strat/Tele:

Anderson, Suhr, Grosh, Tyler, Fender Custom Shop

Les Paul-ish:
    Gibson, PRS, Jackson (the new Jazz'r), Heritage, McInturff

Miscellaneous/Rockin':

EB/MM, Wayne, Brian Moore, Parker, Anderson and Tyler again...

He's got his work cut out for him...there's so much cool stuff out there these days...

ratter.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shit man, for 2 grand, you can have just about anything you want, a nice 'Paul, a sweet PRS, an ass-kickin' Jackson, either an Axis or a Wolfie, a killer Strat, Tom Anderson (incredible axe if you've never played one), etc., the list goes on... just depends upon your taste and the style of music you want to play the most with it.

If you're looking for a Floyd-equipped rocker, you can't go wrong with a nicely appointed USA Jackson Soloist, for about $1500, you get neck-thru construction, gorgeous flame top and headstock, scrumptuous inlay work and unbelievable playability. I've had my jaw-dropping amber sunburst flametop USA SL2H for a couple of years now, and let me tell ya, I'm totally in love with it, and it's damned near impossible to put down! NOTHING plays like a Soloist! If you're looking for value, you SERIOUSLY need to check out Carvin's DC400 series, I personally have yet to see an axe that can even come close to a loaded DC400 (TONS of options, too...), made to order and shipped to your door with a nice case for $1200!

If you're heavy into the whole SRV blues thang, don't waste your time with anything else, just get yourself a nice American Strat. I can't recommend the American Fat Strat Texas Special enough, you can absolutely get ANY tone out of this bad boy, from Jimi to Stevie to Eddie and back with a flick of the switch, the best $900 I ever spent on gear! (The newer American strats really do play considerably easier than the baseball bats of old, which I know a lot of people love, just not my thing...)

Then of course, some people just gotta have a 'Paul. (next in line on my "to buy" axe dream list) Nothing sounds quite like a Les, a ton of bottom heavy mahogany will do that for ya!

It's really all just preference at that pricepoint, man... just tell your bud to carefully consider what he'll be using it for the most, and what options he'll need, and above all... PLAY THROUGH A GOOD AMP (preferrably your own rig) BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

He'll know when he finds the right one, believe me... (my Jackson dropped my jaw from all the way across the store, and after approximately 5 minutes of playing, I dropped the hammer. I fuckin' KNEW I had found my dream axe!)

Have fun!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

SBS

[ May 31, 2002, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]
    What, me, worry?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

PRS has some fookin beautiful guitars!

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

gimme $2000, i'd pick up four or five more used USA Hamers and be a happy man...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by JMJ:
    PRS has some fookin beautiful guitars!

JMJ
    man, do they ever! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

My biggest suggestion is to find someone that has bought and owned a few guitars. For one, you can talk most new guitar salesmen way down. Especially if you are paying cash. I would suggest buying a used guitar unless there is a new feature you are looking for that you won't find on a used guitar. The main problem with buying used is someone may be trying to ditch a faulty guitar which is why I say take someone with you that really knows guitar. You don't want to get a guitar with a warped neck or worse. A warped neck on a setneck guitar (Like a Les Paul or a high end PRS)would mean you are doubly screwed. Don't be fooled, you can have these same problems on a brand new guitar from a shop.

You want to get a guitar that is exactly what you want becuse you can buy a guitar for $500.00 and then spend an extra five hundred (easily) adding the features you really want on it.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well if it was me, I'd by three Reverend guitars: the one with dual humbuckers, the one with dual P90's, and the one with 3 singles. And it would still be around 2 grand.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Got me a used PRS at Guitar Center for $900.00, wrote to PRS with the #'s, sure as shit, it's a limited edition (#38 of 100, as it says on the back of the headstock) worth @ $3000.00 so, ya never know! Had some dings that I had fixed, perfect neck, hardware was clean.. BEST DAMN GUITAR I'VE EVER OWNED, OR PLAYED!

[ June 13, 2002, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: SMUDGE NYC ]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Pics guys, show us your guitars.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium