Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I'm thinking about buying a used Marshall JCM 800, preferably the 2203 model. The 2205 is the same thing only it's 50 watts rather than 100. What's the difference here? I figured that the only big difference would be volume. Is there a tonal difference between the two? I'd like to get the 100 watter but I'm only playing in my house, so the 50 might be better at lower volume? And they are quite cheaper than the 100 watt models, so can anyone fill me in on the major differences here, if any? Thanks!

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

The 100watt 800's are balls rattling loud. Really too fucking loud. My buddy has an 800 100watter and it sounds great but it's too fucking loud to reherse with. He ends up using my 50watt JMP.

Some people say that the 100s have more balls, but I don't know about that, at least with Marshalls. I think the balls comes from a mix of your guitar and speaker cab.

That being said, my other buddy has a duel recto, and those are 120watts I think. His sounds fine at lower volumes but he also took out a couple of tubes now that I'm thinking about it.

When I had my 5150 it was really too loud to be of much use. To get a good tone I had to crank the fucker to 6-7 and point my cab at a wall to block some of the db.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like Homeunit said, it depends on what guitar and speakers you're using.

You really should take your guitar and try out both to see what you like best. Tone is a highly personal thang.
    If you're only gonna be wailing at home, then probably the 50-watter will do you right.

Unless you're playing arenas and stadiums, volume these days is pretty much overkill. It also seems that 15 and 30 watt amps are getting mucho praise and for what it's worth, they're also very expensive.

Peace
    GH4L
    "Choose Wisely"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Also...don't forget to think about WHERE you're going to play. How big are the clubs that you will be gigging in? What are their volume limits?

What does everone else in your band have? Are you going to drown them out?

Honestly, I can't think of anyplace you'd need a 100 watt'er outside of a large arena. I'd go with the 50. You can always get another 50 if you need it and if your career comes to the point where you're playing places that demand a 100 watt amp well...congratulations are in order.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've used my 50 watt marshall in small clubs and outdoor festival stages. It's usually mic'd all the time anyway, whether a large or small venue so a I find a 50 watt does just fine.
    Also, a 100 watt unit has a different output transformer than a 50 watt. It's not just tapped differently. It's larger and when working at lower volumes is a bit too efficient, so you have to push it somewhat to make it sound it's best. Same with a 50 watt, but since the transformer is smaller you don't need as much volume to push it into overdrive.
    What makes every marshall sound different is the different output of the transformer of each individual amp, and how efficiently they work.
    A transformer that's too efficient has nothing but clean sound, and that's not what you want from a marshall.
    One option is to have the preamp modded to sound big at low volumes, or have a pedal that pushes the preamp a bit harder to imitate the sound of a power transformer being pushed into saturation.
    I'm sure you'll find that the 50 watt model does just fine. Most 50 watt marshalls are actually pushing considerably more than 50 watts anyway.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been using my old Peavey Bravo 112 the last couple of weeks. It's only 30 watts, all tube,....I think....but anyways......it's great to play this smaller amp becuase it sounds so good at a lower volume level. I like the power of my 5150...but when my son is sleeping....the little 30 watt Peavey is just enough. But it could also be used to gig with........
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to have 2 100 watt Marshall stacks, and found I didn't need all that volume, plus carrying all that shit was a pain. So I sold all of it and invested in a great 50 watt Marshall combo that sounds great and can still get the volume I need. It's not really "how big" you can get but what you can do with what you have to achieve a great sound you are looking for! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    And beyond the horizon.... a sound was heard.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bcgvh:
    Hello everyone, I'm thinking about buying a used Marshall JCM 800, preferably the 2203 model. The 2205 is the same thing only it's 50 watts rather than 100. What's the difference here? I figured that the only big difference would be volume. Is there a tonal difference between the two? I'd like to get the 100 watter but I'm only playing in my house, so the 50 might be better at lower volume? And they are quite cheaper than the 100 watt models, so can anyone fill me in on the major differences here, if any? Thanks!<hr></blockquote>

I'm a first time "all tube" amp owner, thanks to acquiring a 5150 combo. It really is a monster, and despite much criticism on this forum, I still maintain that the richness and available dynamics on this amp are really sweet.

Prior to this I've owned and still own a Marshall VS40 Valvestate, which on the maintenance side turned out to be a total piece of shit. But that's a different story altogether.

I'd say fuck, if your mostly gonna be playing in your house, definitely, BY ALL MEANS, spring for the fifty. What the fuck, and correct me if I'm wrong hear, because I've never owned a Marshall Tube amp, but most fucking amps of this calibre have a speaker out for a fucking extension cab.

So I would definitely go that route hoss. Let us know how it turns out.

P.S.

Has anyone in here ever PLAYED through a JCM 600? Does it really lack gain, or can it provide? And don't give me that "It can provide for lush Zep chordal passages" shit.

Thanks dudes. Hasta....
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get the 100 watt and take the two outer tubes out of it.
    Then take the ohms to half.
    So if you were using a 16 ohm cab,take it to 8 ohms on the amp.
    This has worked for me in the past.
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only problem with that is that you're still going through a 100 transformer, which doesn't sound or react like a 50 watter, and will be too efficient at low volumes once you 1/2 the power going through it.
    Tone wise, it'll be fine, but for natual overdrive it won't react like a 50 watt transformer, which supplies a lot of the overdrive at heavier volumes.
    If you're gonna use a pedal you could probably get around that.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Am I the only guitarist who thinks Marshalls sound like shit? Just curious. In almost 25 years, I've felt like a minority.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes you are.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna go with the 50 watter once I finally save up a little money. We'll see how that'll do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out for you! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    And beyond the horizon.... a sound was heard.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, so that makes 2 of you.