Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay guys. I finally managed to sort out the spare room and had enough room to actually plug the guitar into my PC last night to record myself.

I was just farting around with the sound recorder because it was the easiest thing to do, just to see if I could actually get a signal from my guitar into the P.C.

Well, after finally realising which one was the line in socket on my P.C. I managed to record what was coming into the P.C.

However, I need some help.

This is how I was set up :

Guitar => Guitar lead (about a coupla years old) => Marshall V15R AMP input => Line out socket from AMP => Big socket to small socket converter => Cable to connect into soundcard => Line In Socket on soundcard.

Now like, I say, I manage to record it, but it's really crackly. Would this be because I need new cables, or is it just the many rouites I go through before I get into the P.C. ?

On top of that, my P.C. speakers have started crackling recently, and I have no idea as to why. I'm pretty sure it's the speakers and not the soundcard, but can't be 100% certain. Could this be the reason for the crackle ?

Oh, just for the record, it is a Sounblaster Live 1024+ soundcard...

Cheers,

[ October 15, 2002, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: mondola ]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like your comupter is not a Mac. That would have made your life easier.

Do you use an actual amp, or a digital amp like the POD?

The speakers may be crackling because your input level is too high... Try backing off hte input and see if it cleans up.
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No, my computer is definitely not a MAC. It's a P.C.

However, the speakers will crackle without me putting a line in into the P.C.

So I don't know if it is the speakers or the soundcard at all....

By backing off on the input level, do you mean turning the guitar down using the guitar's volume knob, or do you mean turning the Amp's level down ?

By the way, it was through my actual AMP. Just so I could hear myself playing really...

Cheers for the help by the way, and thanx in advance for your reply...

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ October 15, 2002, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: mondola ]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I would just mic your amp. Its the easiest way and it works really well, there is also some software that works really well for home multitrack recordings called CoolEditPro http://www.syntrillium.com/ (there are many others that are great also but this was the easiest for me).

I have recorded a ton of tunes with it because its so easy to use, I just mic my amp with my little cheesy $7 mic that came with my PC and it sounds pretty cool.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by ericgtr:
    I would just mic your amp. Its the easiest way and it works really well, there is also some software that works really well for home multitrack recordings called CoolEditPro http://www.syntrillium.com/ (there are many others that are great also but this was the easiest for me).

I have recorded a ton of tunes with it because its so easy to use, I just mic my amp with my little cheesy $7 mic that came with my PC and it sounds pretty cool.
    Cheers, I'll give it a go...

[img]smile.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want to invest a little more, you could get yourself a Line 6 POD.
    It's an invaluable amp modeling device with 36 vintage amp tones and a myriad of setting possibilities with effects. This is what I use for practice and recording. I plug it into the computer throught the microphone micro jack, and record what I play with the free version of the Pro Tools software, downloadable online. It allows me to record jam tracks and solo over them for hours on end. It's perfect for practice.
    I think a POD goes for about $300 these days.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    If you want to invest a little more, you could get yourself a Line 6 POD.
    It's an invaluable amp modeling device with 36 vintage amp tones and a myriad of setting possibilities with effects. This is what I use for practice and recording. I plug it into the computer throught the microphone micro jack, and record what I play with the free version of the Pro Tools software, downloadable online. It allows me to record jam tracks and solo over them for hours on end. It's perfect for practice.
    I think a POD goes for about $300 these days.
    Hi there,

Yeah, I have been tempted by one of these PODs for a while now. I managed to get to play through one, and I was loving it, but I got one of those knobhead salesmen who came back after 5 minutes asking me if I liked it and just wanting to take the guitar out of my hands and put the POD back in the box.

I am tempted, but want to experiment with one a bit more to see what it can do.

Plus, I have to justify to the misses that 240 pounds just has to be spent on this little bean shaped object. Any ideas how to convince her ? Bearing in mind I have a wedding, house, honeymoon, and holiday in Australia that she percieves are higher priority ???

[img]smile.gif[/img]

(Cheers for the help again, by the way [img]smile.gif[/img] )

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Priorities?

OK mate, sounds like you got yourself into a situation that's familiar to many of us. I'm assuming you didn't think of registering at the music store for wedding gifts... right?

Uh ho, BIG mistake!

Anyhow, just tell your dearest that you want to buy yourself the 2x12 Line 6 Flextone II modeling amp combo, with the optional pedal board.
    Tell her it's only 800 bucks for the amp, and another 250 for the pedal board, and that it will take as much space in your pad as a washer and drier set.
    Next, let her have her fit, then just tell her about the POD. Show her how good a deal it is in comparison, since it basically does the job of the whole 1250 rig, for only 250. And for the kill, tell her it's no bigger than a laptop computer!

How's that for rationalizing a futile expense?

Let me know if you guys are still planning on getting hitched after that! Ah ah ah ah! (Looks like I'm not going to change my post name to Cupid anytime soon)

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nah, she knows that I've been after one for a while now to be honest.

Haven't thought of where the wedding list will be yet, but that is an interesting idea. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think I'll wait until the end of this month when my compensation money comes in. If the guy on here hasn't got back to me about selling his Kramer 5150 guitar, then I might just splash out on one of these PODs.

Then I'll have to cook up a story about how I managed to get it off this guy off the internet for next to nothing as he didn't know how much it was worth.

I think I might be able to justify it though. She'd be much happier I played through that than the AMP !!!

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Last Online

01.14.12 @ 10:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I second getting a Line6 POD. I've been using one exactly as Canyon Carver has detailed. Using Cakewalk Guitar Studio for multitracking, a boss drum machine, and a bass for the rhythm section. The sound quality is superb. I think the crackling situation you've described may be that your are overdriving your pc speakers, check your wave level on your volume control panel.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You could also try a Johnson J-Station, just like the POD but half the price and great sounds. Its what I use for my parts that are on the 3 Morons site.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

'Appen I might just treat myself to a POD 2.0 then. Payday next week !

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Cheers for the advice with the speakers, I'll give it a try....

[img]smile.gif[/img]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Way to go! Or you can wait a little onger and get the all new POD XT. Even more insane featutes, but retails around $400 this time...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jesus !!!

I thought you meant the POD Guitar Port, that I wasn't interested in at all.

But then I went onto the Line 6 website and had a look and listen at the new XT.

I WANT ONE !!!

Just rang up the best guitar shop in the UK. And it retails for 369 (that's Sterling, not dollars!) so maybe I'll get the POD 2.0. However, she did say the XT wa sso good, that she expects all the POD 2.0s to come back in part exchange for this "must have" piece of kit !

You've given me a headache now man !!!

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ October 21, 2002, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: mondola ]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah! The XT is kicking the POD 2.0's ass in a big way!
    I'm gonna have to turn mine in and see if I can get a deal on the new XT.