Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    03.21.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    279
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Fools
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I have a standard Strat and I am very disappointed with the non-locking trem (since the guitar keeps going out of tune). I have taken the bar out, and I'd really like to put it back someday soon... I heard that EVH used to oil the nut to keep the strings from getting stuck. Has anyone tried this procedure? Just how messy is it? What's involved? What type of oil should be used?

    Am I better off opting for a Floyd Rose locking trem, or even going for a TransTrem?

    I know very little about Steinberger guitars and the accompanying terminology. What is the difference between a Type 2 TransTrem and an S-Trem? Is an R-Trem the same thing as a Floyd Rose trem? (The pictures at MusicYo.com don't reveal much detail.) Are the prices at MusicYo.com reasonable for their Steinberger guitars? What about quality and service?

  2. #2
    Sinner's Swing! Rick S's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.29.99
    Location
    Wilmington ,Delaware
    Posts
    3,128
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    mean street
    Last Online

    06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    eddie used a brass nut on the frankenstrat which is why he could put oil in it. he also stretched out the trem springs and loosened and oiled the string trees on the headstock. a good set of tuning machines helps too........................... as is usually with eddies mods its a combination of things not just one.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

    1love4chi

    Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

    Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

  3. #3
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    03.21.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    279
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Fools
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by Rick S:
    eddie used a brass nut on the frankenstrat which is why he could put oil in it. he also stretched out the trem springs and loosened and oiled the string trees on the headstock. a good set of tuning machines helps too........................... as is usually with eddies mods its a combination of things not just one.
    For the brass nut, can I find one of these at a musical instruments/guitar shop, or would it have to be custom made?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Eruption
    Join Date
    12.06.01
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    875
    Favorite VH Album

    I have to pick?
    Last Online

    10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

    An LSR Roller nut may work too.
    Your favorite band sucks.

  5. #5
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    04.04.02
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    81
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Just my .02...before you spend a whole lot of money on upgrades, I'd spend the $50 or so to get a good tech to do a setup, including checking the nut to make sure it's cut properly. The material of the nut isn't going to make a squirt of difference if it's not slotted properly. Once that's done and the guitar is nicely set up, you'll probably be loving life much more.

    Instead of oil, which sounds messy, how about some graphite powder? You can get it at the hardware store, used for loosening up locks and things. Also, make sure you stretch your strings out *completely* when you change them. You might find that no matter what, when you drop down far with the bar, certain strings (usually G/B) will come back sharp and you'll have to give them a quick bend to get back in tune.

    If you find yourself using the bar a lot, I'd just go ahead and get a Floyd installed, or trade the guitar for a Floyd-equipped model.

    As for the Steinberger stuff, retrofitting any Steinberger parts onto anything other than a Steinberger is major, complicated stuff. One of the primary reasons is that their trems (particularly the TransTrem) rely on the use of calibrated, double-ball end strings that are a particular length and gauge.

    The TransTrem is the king daddy. It's defining feature is that when you move the bar up or down, the strings stay in tune relative to each other. That's opposed to any other kind of trem, where it's generally pretty random/arbitrary. And the TransTrem bar has this attached little nubby on it that has calibrated notches cut into it, and then there's a post sticking up out of the bridge near where the bar comes out. Since the strings stay in tune relative to each other as you trem them, you can drop/raise the bar, then swing it down so that the little notched nubby catches on the post and it holds the bar in place. So you can "lock"it in a number of positions, like a step down or a step-and-a-half up, or at standard pitch. It's really an amazing piece of work and has to be played to be appreciated.

    The S-trem is similar to the TransTrem but without the calibrated motion and ability to lock in different positions (other than standard). The R-trem is another beast altogether, and it's feel and response is closer to a Floyd Rose (more tension).

    Hope this helps a bit,
    ratter.

  6. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.21.00
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,491
    Favorite VH Album

    Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

    03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I use standard strats with standard strat trems, and have no problem with the guitar going out of tune. I'm not gentle with my instruments and use the trem pretty agressively at times. I let my trem rest on the body though and use it only to drop pitch.
    A brass nut is used for a brighter tone, not for keeping the guitar in tune.
    You can use a 3 in one oil, or an oil with teflon in it. Put a tiny drop over the string at each point where it sits on the nut.
    Make sure that whatever type of nut you use, make sure that the slots are cut properly for the gauge of strings you're using. That's very important, because an improperly cut slot can cause a few problems, binding the string being only one.
    Also, use a good set of tuning keys. I've found that shaellers for instance, while being good keys, tend to gou out of tune a lot when using a standard trem.
    After I switched to Klusons it made a real difference, and I've had no problems with them.
    Sperzel locking tuners are also excellent for keeping strings in tune.
    Bottom line is that you don't need a floyd to keep things in tune when using a trem.

    Also make sure your intonation is set properly.
    Different types of strings respond differently to a trem as well.

  7. #7
    Sinner's Swing! twonabomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.15.01
    Location
    cleveland, oh
    Posts
    3,699
    Last Online

    12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    i've seen graphite nuts also. with any nut, you want to make sure there are no burrs in the slots, those will cause the strings to bind up, or even break prematurely. there are also graphite bridge saddles (GraphTech, i believe they are called) that are self-lubricating also.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

    Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

  8. #8
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    12.21.00
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    229
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    I\'m the One
    Last Online

    02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by ratter:

    Instead of oil, which sounds messy, how about some graphite powder? You can get it at the hardware store, used for loosening up locks and things. Also, make sure you stretch your strings out *completely* when you change them.
    I have a Squier Strat, everything on it is stock.
    I just rubbed pencil lead (graphite) into the slots on my nut, stretch the strings when changing 'em and also, make sure you get lots of windings around the tuners for added stability.

    Don't know if this makes any difference but I use D'addario EXL120 strings.(could be a stable gauge)

    I play mostly VH tunes and it goes out every now and again but it's usually just the B or G.
    Basically it's quite stable.
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"

  9. #9
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    04.04.02
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    81
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by atomicpunk2001:
    I have a Squier Strat, everything on it is stock.
    I just rubbed pencil lead (graphite) into the slots on my nut, stretch the strings when changing 'em and also, make sure you get lots of windings around the tuners for added stability.
    atomicpunk, next time you change strings try this: string it up such that you put 2 wraps of string around each post. No more, no less. See if it affects your tuning stability at all. The idea behind it being that the less windings, the less opportunity there is for slippage and/or grabbing in those string wraps. Of course, you gotta have enough so that they hang on! Two has always been the magic number for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    ratter.

  10. #10
    Eruption rolsguitars's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.18.01
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    858
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it later
    Last Online

    01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by Rick S:
    eddie used a brass nut on the frankenstrat which is why he could put oil in it. too........................... as is usually with eddies mods its a combination of things not just one.
    HI where did you get the info that EVH had a brass nut on the VH1 guitar?? I not saying your wrong but the extreme close ups I've seen and from also what I've been told is that it was a Bone nut.
    Rol.

  11. #11
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    03.21.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    279
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Fools
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by ratter:
    Just my .02...before you spend a whole lot of money on upgrades, I'd spend the $50 or so to get a good tech to do a setup, including checking the nut to make sure it's cut properly. The material of the nut isn't going to make a squirt of difference if it's not slotted properly. Once that's done and the guitar is nicely set up, you'll probably be loving life much more.

    Instead of oil, which sounds messy, how about some graphite powder? You can get it at the hardware store, used for loosening up locks and things. Also, make sure you stretch your strings out *completely* when you change them. You might find that no matter what, when you drop down far with the bar, certain strings (usually G/B) will come back sharp and you'll have to give them a quick bend to get back in tune.

    If you find yourself using the bar a lot, I'd just go ahead and get a Floyd installed, or trade the guitar for a Floyd-equipped model.

    As for the Steinberger stuff, retrofitting any Steinberger parts onto anything other than a Steinberger is major, complicated stuff. One of the primary reasons is that their trems (particularly the TransTrem) rely on the use of calibrated, double-ball end strings that are a particular length and gauge.

    The TransTrem is the king daddy. It's defining feature is that when you move the bar up or down, the strings stay in tune relative to each other. That's opposed to any other kind of trem, where it's generally pretty random/arbitrary. And the TransTrem bar has this attached little nubby on it that has calibrated notches cut into it, and then there's a post sticking up out of the bridge near where the bar comes out. Since the strings stay in tune relative to each other as you trem them, you can drop/raise the bar, then swing it down so that the little notched nubby catches on the post and it holds the bar in place. So you can "lock"it in a number of positions, like a step down or a step-and-a-half up, or at standard pitch. It's really an amazing piece of work and has to be played to be appreciated.

    The S-trem is similar to the TransTrem but without the calibrated motion and ability to lock in different positions (other than standard). The R-trem is another beast altogether, and it's feel and response is closer to a Floyd Rose (more tension).

    Hope this helps a bit,
    ratter.
    It does help--thanks. (And that goes for everyone else, too.)

    What precisely is involved in a setup? How can I go about finding a good tech to do a setup? (I mean, how can I know how good they are? What questions should I ask them to be sure they're not BSing about what they're capable of?)

  12. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.21.00
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,491
    Favorite VH Album

    Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

    03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Usually the tech will have a good reputation, and when he explains things to you in a straight forward way you'll know he's not bullshitting. Just bring your guitar in and ask him what he would do to your guitar to set it up properly. Every guitar has to be adjusted a bit differently, depending on the type of setup it needs.
    Also, if he's in one place on a steady basis he'll probably have at least a couple of instruments on hand that he's already set up. See if you can try those.

  13. #13
    Romeo Delight Ben Italiano's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.25.01
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    87
    Last Online

    04.24.05 @ 02:20 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Here something to look in to try using GOTOH lock tuners on it ..I have a late model Strat.I have them on it and it works great.there pretty easy to work with you might have to open the hole up alittle to make them fit but they work great ..if I come up with more info I ll pass it on too you hope that helps
    Originally posted by UnleashVH:
    I have a standard Strat and I am very disappointed with the non-locking trem (since the guitar keeps going out of tune). I have taken the bar out, and I'd really like to put it back someday soon... I heard that EVH used to oil the nut to keep the strings from getting stuck. Has anyone tried this procedure? Just how messy is it? What's involved? What type of oil should be used?

    Am I better off opting for a Floyd Rose locking trem, or even going for a TransTrem?

    I know very little about Steinberger guitars and the accompanying terminology. What is the difference between a Type 2 TransTrem and an S-Trem? Is an R-Trem the same thing as a Floyd Rose trem? (The pictures at MusicYo.com don't reveal much detail.) Are the prices at MusicYo.com reasonable for their Steinberger guitars? What about quality and service?
    [ April 17, 2002 at 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Ben Italiano ]</p>

  14. #14
    Sinner's Swing! Rick S's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.29.99
    Location
    Wilmington ,Delaware
    Posts
    3,128
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    mean street
    Last Online

    06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Rick S:
    eddie used a brass nut on the frankenstrat which is why he could put oil in it. too........................... as is usually with eddies mods its a combination of things not just one.
    HI where did you get the info that EVH had a brass nut on the VH1 guitar?? I not saying your wrong but the extreme close ups I've seen and from also what I've been told is that it was a Bone nut.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]ive read it in quiet a few interveiws and breakdowns on edwards gear. not just assuming , plus every time ive looked at pics it looks brass to me. supposedly it contributed to the brighter tone too if you look at the destoyer that looks to have a brass nut too........anyone back me up on this?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

    1love4chi

    Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

    Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

  15. #15
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    12.21.00
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    229
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    I\'m the One
    Last Online

    02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Yeah, I've heard this aswell.
    As to it's reliability though,
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Kramer Baretta Special Tremelo Question
    By ScottyBHarris in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04.24.15, 07:19 PM
  2. Sustainer System
    By Halen_Fanatic in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01.08.06, 06:51 PM
  3. Ed's tremelo picking
    By thinlineokc in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11.22.02, 05:23 PM
  4. The Rating System...
    By theodore templeman in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06.20.02, 02:30 PM
  5. Locking tremelo vs stop tailpiece?
    By Roshambo in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09.06.00, 08:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •