Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which do you prefer, state of the art gear or vintage gear?

All opinions welcome (even SirBullShit's )!
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, seeing as how I don't now, nor ever have owned a vintage axe or amp, my opinion may be useless, but here goes.

I have a 1992 PRS CE24 that I would put up against any modern or vintage instrument when it comes to quality, tone, playabity and appearance. I also have two Wolfgangs, a Goldtop Standard and a Flametop Special that beat the crap out of at least 90% of the axes that I've played...both vintage and modern.

As far as amps are concerned, I recently upgraded from the Peavey Classic Chorus 212 that I've been playing through for the last 12 years or so to a Fender Cyber Twin. The Peavey is built like a tank. I think you could drop it off of a bridge and it would still be in perfect working order. The fender seems like it would be a little more delicate, but the payoff is the tone. I'm actually able to dial in just about any sound imaginable with that beast.

I think that is the main advantage of modern gear as opposed to vintage gear. With vintage gear you can get incredible tone, but limited flexability. With the modern stuff, you can also get great tone and with the advances made in modelling and digital technology in the past few years, you get a great viriety of great tones.

I urge anybody who is looking to buy an amp to test drive the Cyber Twin. It's the perfect mix of digital technology and actual tube circuits. It even has some decent built in effects including an awesome tape echo simulator, great reverbs, auto wah, regular wah, chorus, flange, pitch shift, etc...

I guess what I'm saying is that while I would love to have some of the vintage equipment, todays modern amps are more than capable of delivering great tone at a fraction of the cost.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Whichever gives you the best sound.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Cyber Twin?? Ouch!

Whatever works. I find old effects work best for me. My amp is 25 years old, but at the same time I love the new Mesa stuff.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by P1:
    Which do you prefer, state of the art gear or vintage gear?

All opinions welcome (even SirBullShit's )!
    Why thanks ever so much for your generous offer, Putz1!

You can certainly get great tone out of either or, but my personal preference tends to lean more towards "modern" gear. I've been running an ADA MP2 through a Marshall EL34 100/100 for several years now, and I really used to dig it, but the ADA's begun to develop that infamous ADA "hum of death", and they're out of business, so I'm in the market for something new. There's a lot of great new gear out now, so it's kind of a matter of deciding how much money I want to spend. My own personal dream rig would be a Hughes & Kettner Triamp head, this bad-boy does it all and sounds like freakin' GOD for pretty much any style you want to run through it. The only problem is the sticker shock. The best price I've been able to find on the head so far is $1700 at the Guitar Center in Atlanta. What makes it so difficult is the fact that I could get a full Carvin Legacy stack for that, and having spent some time dickin' around on my bud's Legacy, I think I could probably be quite content with it, although I'd still be jonesin' for the H&K until I finally got one. I've also spent some time on another friend's Fender Prosonic, and that is also one VERY schweet sounding amp. I had even been considering a Line 6 POD Pro run through the Marshall to give it some good tube warmth, but a lot of people I've heard from lately who've spent any real time on them have been complaining about it lacking dynamics and sounding too sterile, so I'm starting to re-think that option. I guess I should just quit being such a cheap, wishy-washy bastard, suck it up and get the damned H&K, an amp I already know I'd be happy with for a long, looooong time.

There's certainly nothing wrong with vintage gear, though, most of the greatest guitar tones ever recorded were created on vintage gear. (although that has as much to do with the player as it does their choice of equipment) I'm just looking for that one amp that really will give you the best of the old and the new, and so far, for me at least, the H&K seems to be the one that can deliver the most.

Anybody out there familiar with H&K gear, btw? Reliability, customer service, etc.? You'd think that for the price premium, you could pretty much count on it, but it would be nice to hear from someone who's had a bit more experience with 'em.

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup, remember me?
    I've played H&K amps, and as much as I hate to agree with you on anything...lol, I have to say they're tone monsters. They're very hard to come by where I live though. I came across a small H&K combo a few years back, and it got snapped up pretty quick, even before I could get the store owner to think I was doing him a favor by buying it. They're a very versatile rock amp, and although there's some serious money involved there's also a lot of quality in the way they make them. Carvins are good too, but don't seem to have the same versatility that the H&K amps do. What the hell, people recognize you by your tone as well as your licks, so why not get the amp that'll do it for you. We're musicians, we're supposed to be broke now and then.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    What the hell, people recognize you by your tone as well as your licks, so why not get the amp that'll do it for you. We're musicians, we're supposed to be broke now and then.
    Dammit... he's got one helluva point there. What the hell, it's only money, and how can ya put a pricetag on inspiration anyway?!

Guitar Center, here I come!

SBS

P.S. Plus, it's so DAMNED pretty... check it out:
    harmony central

[ March 18, 2002 at 07:32 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]</p>
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm not too into gear because I can't afford to be and because I don't understand all the knobs...*LOL*

I play a Strat through a Marshall and I use a pod sometimes...It makes me happy and I haven't gotten kicked outta my band...There ya go... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:
    Cyber Twin?? Ouch!

So I assume that you don't share my opinion of the Cyber Twin?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I spent some time on a Cyber Twin at Sam Ash a few weeks ago. Fun stuff! My personal tastes lead away from modeling amps. I tried a few Line 6 amps, & the Crate's, etc. They just sound to "fake" to me. I always found that outboard effects sound better then the microchip mish-mosh, especially at performance volume
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hell, vintage guitars are a good buy if you can afford them. My guitar is 26 years old and would be a great find for the right price. Before 1985 you had better wood to choose from, old growth rain forrest stuff which just sounds better and lasts forever. Plus you could get ivory trim and pearl or Abalone inlays.

If you can find an origonal Ibanez tube screamer from the early 80's or an MXR phanger from the late seventies..grab them.

Old Fender Twins are a good find as are some Marshalls.

The new stuff is good too and if you never get to buy a vintage goodie you'll be fine.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300