Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need you guys opinion on something. Do you think that a guitar solo always has to be in perfect time with the drums? I keep reading interviews where guitar players practice religiously with a metonome. When I practice with my Dr.5 rhythm machine I do, but most of the time I just pick up a guitar a start playing. If I need to keep time with something that I'm doing, I just tap my foot. I guess I've always felt that I had an internal metronome or something. If I'm recording a song or something, I've never had a problem with keeping the rhythm section or any filler licks in time with the drums...though sometimes when I'm playing an entirely improvised solo I go a bit outside the beat from time to time (I always jump right back into it though). What do you guys think about this?

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "I will never change because of a trend." - Yngwie J. Malmsteen
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lots of people assume they have a great sense of timing built in. I have one thing for you to consider:

When you're in school, and suffering through a painfully boring class, how long do those 45 minutes seem to take?

Conversely, how long did Christmas morning seem to last when you were 6 years old?

The mind twists your perception of time based on what you're doing. ALWAYS practice playing in perfect time; when you have truly developed a GREAT sense of timing, you will be able to play on top of, in the middle of, or after the beat at YOUR choice, NOT by accident.

So stick to that machine like glue!

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ABV's right. Using a metronome at first develops a very good sense of timing. As you progress you'll see that your guitar is like a voice, and it doesn't have to stay in time with the drums, but it does have to fit into the timing slots allotted to you in the song.
    If your timing's off you might start your solo, and not be able to finish it or execute it properly because you'll run out of time, or you'll play it too quickly, finding yourself in the situation of playing the notes over the wrong chords or beat.
    As you get better and can improvise more a metronome isn't quite as important cause you'll be able to fake it better, meaning you'll be able to pull notes off the cuff and make them fit.
    I only use a metronome when playing scales now, but used it a lot in the past when I was trying to work out solos to make them fit into the song patterns. I think most guitarists eventually wander away from metronomes, but as a learning, and timing tool they're a necessity.
    One of "the" best writers on here is HomeUnit. His timing is amazing, and a lot of the stuff he writes is in an off time kind of mode, yet it's dead on time wise, if that makes sense. He never misses a beat, even though at times it sounds like he's not following one. His natural sense of timing is a lot like Edward's, working around his own patterns. After listening to some of his stuff you realize it's very structured, yet confusing to someone playing along, without a good sense of rhythm. It might seem I'm getting off the subject, but I'm just stressing how important developing a good sense of timing is.
    I'm betting he lays his tracks down over a click track, cause even someone with his sense of time needs a base to work off of when writing.
    Correct me if I'm wrong Homeunit.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NONONONONONONO....you guys misunderstood me. If my solos are practiced or pre-prepared, I have no problem with timing. The only trouble I sometimes have is when I'm doing an entirely improvised solo. I start pondering more on what I'm going to play next or making sure that all my notes sound clean and crisp. Maybe it's a problem more with concentration than timing...I don't know. I've just started obsessing about this ever since I read a recent interview with Michael Romeo of Symphony X. Of course, Mike uses a metronome religiously. Maybe I just need to get more sleep or something...

------------------
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward

[This message has been edited by Alchemy (edited February 20, 2001 at 01:41 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

wow, thanks for the ego stroke Tribb

I track stuff in this order, drums/bass/guitar/solo, so I always have the drums as my click.

I think the thing with phrasing revolves around knowing your rythme structure, and knowing how to push that stucture. When I see 4 bars of music I see 12 basic rythmic points from which to work with. Generally though I like to picture bigger stretches, say 8 to 16 bars, that way you can impose a wacky time signiture say 7/8 over a a 4/4 pattern and then you know you got time to straighten it back out.
    For soloing I learned my lesson from Ed. Fall down the stairs and try and land on your feet. For that to happen (and I think this applies to Alchemy's question) you need to be comfy enough with your chops and have a big enough bag of tricks to be able to go on auto-pilot and not really thinks too much. You need to be to the point where you can be improvising and think "gee this line would be cool here" and put it in and know where your headed after. All the practicing that you do enables you to make these choices without even thinking about it.
    Whether you land on your feet or not is 100% experience. I've been playing for 20 years and I still chowder all the time, but what the hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Homeunit, no ego stroking, just telling it like it is.
    Alchemy, you're right, you probably just need more sleep..lol
    Seriously though, just improvise as much and as often as you can till it comes naturally. It will over time.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys. So basically, I need to be more comfortable with my chops...got it.
    Well...I'm getting there.

Ed's coment about falling down the stairs can apply perfectly to his "Beat It" solo. I know that it was improvised, and it's not always in perfect alignment with the rhythm section...but holy shit does it work!

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Also. the beat it solo was spliced together which just goes to show it's the end result that matters.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good news!!! I went over my concerns with my guitar teacher and played some stuff for him over different beats. Basically, he said that I was worrying about nothing (as usual), that I had great timing, and basically that I need to have more confidence in my abilities. So...I need to get more sleep. THE END

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I get to play live every week and that helps the timing tremendously...if you can play with someone, that helps...

I agree with the consensus that confidence is everything...but that's a confidence born of hard work and steel callouses!*L*

------------------
    "Van Halen fans been hangin' in there for a long time...they're probably the best fans in the world..."-Sammy

"Forget all about that macho shit and learn how to play guitar"-Mellencamp