Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

A few threads devoted to developing a personal style is always awesome to see. Made me curious as to the musical compliment you have rec'd that meant the most to you.

I used to be a sax player and once I was jamming along with "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt. After awhile, I played the song one last time. My roomate came out of his room and asked me if I was alright.

"Yeah," I said. "What makes you ask?"

"I thought something was wrong. To play like that, I figured you had some major blues," he said.

Best thing anyone ever said to me about my playing.

What about you guys?
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was jamming on one of my bros guitars once and one of his mates was watching.
    After I went home, apparently this cat wouldn't stop going on about it!
    Told the bro that at one point I looked at him when I was playing something cool and that I must of played it just for him!
    Sounds good don't it?......pity the guy was stoned off his dial!!!!! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RUNAROUND
    Last Online

09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine would be when my wife asks if i'm done jammin so she can let the dogs back in and put the china back in the cabinets [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Seriously though it would have to be after we split up for a short time and i went into the studio and just let the tape roll and just wailed for hours. She found the tape some time later and listened to it and and ran up and gave me the biggest hug she ever has and said "you really did miss me bad didn't you"Ihad never listened to it but it turned out there was some pretty soulful stuff on there to me it was just letting how i felt out trough the guitar.When you can be that honest and open with your music and translate true emotion like that it always special. At least in my opinion.
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SactoFan:
    A few threads devoted to developing a personal style is always awesome to see. Made me curious as to the musical compliment you have rec'd that meant the most to you.

I used to be a sax player and once I was jamming along with "I Can't Make You Love Me" by Bonnie Raitt. After awhile, I played the song one last time. My roomate came out of his room and asked me if I was alright.

"Yeah," I said. "What makes you ask?"

"I thought something was wrong. To play like that, I figured you had some major blues," he said.

Best thing anyone ever said to me about my playing.

What about you guys?
    I got a "Hey Eddie Turn it down" yelled at me by a neighbor, and when I looked out back the guys 2 teens were hanging over my wall with bic lighters raised, I thought it was pretty funny at the time.
    he moved soon afterward [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

There are 2 times that come to mind.

The first time was when I was in highschool taking guitar lessons at a local music store. The setup in the basement was 3 rooms. One for guitar, drums and piano. There was also a waiting room in which some of the parents waited for their kids. Anyway I just finished playing some riff with the teacher and he just screamed "Holy shit that was fucking great!" Remind you the other rooms had kids and parents around.

The other is my wife who hears my playing all the time and one day she just said "I like that, you sounded good".

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL @ Rollie

hahahaha!

that's a classic - the guy went through all the trouble of getting the kids to hold lighters!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.26.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

My favorite was for a speech in 10th grade showing different techniques for the guitar. My bestfriend who was in the classroom next door had to tell everyone "thats not a keyboard" which was always my favorite quote.

www.tooaskewrob.com

[ December 23, 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Robby5150 ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm still laughing too hard at Rol's story to think straight and give you one of mine.

Classic, indeed. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ December 23, 2002, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I love it when the bar owner says, "You're running off the older folks!" [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I played at a mates party once. Just me and the guitar... Everyone was really chatting around and were really in the party spirit but as soon as I started playing everyone just hung round singing and really enjoying it.

There were a few people doing the Wayne's World, "I'm not worthy" thing. It sounds cheesy, but it was great !

After I had finished my one hour set, everyone came to tell me that I'd made it the best party ever !

Then, this girl that we all fancied wanted to dance with me all night. I managed a few kisses and cuddles, but nothing more. However, as everyone else wanted her, it felt fantastic.

Unfortunately, I had to move away before I managed to develop it any further, story of my life.

That and playing round next door when we were all stoned and getting compliments like, "You're f***** wicked mate, I can't wait to get your album!" are the ones that stick in my head.

Oh, and I always used to get requests for Every Rose Has It's Thorn, and Bitter Wine when we came back from the pub, for cheesy rock song's sake.

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I used to play in the living room, this is when I practiced four hours a day, and I looked behind me and six of my little brother's friends were watching me from the drive way. Later he told me that those guys would do that all the time and some would come over just to watch and listen. When I practice I usually stare at my feet so you could land a 747 in the front yard and I wouldn't notice.

There was another time my band was playing a house party and too many kids showed up. We were taking a break when the guy who's house this was at runs up all paniced and say's "Play something or they're going to trash the house!". Well the drummer was gone somewhere so the other guitarist looks at me and says "Do one of your solos" and I look at him like what the fuck are you talking about? He tells me to just jam. So I double the volume and play every thing I know, La Cucaracha, Popeye The Sailor Man, Lone Ranger, the theme to Bonanza, Theme to the Munsters and every scale mode I knew. It lasted like five minutes and the whole time I'm looking at my feet so when I wrap it up I look up and the place was like a tomb and everybody was staring at me like those guys at the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Then they all cheered and three guys brought me beers from the keg. Then my drummer yelled at me for showing off. Still cool though.

The funniest thing was in 1989 I got talked into joining this band. I tell the guy okay but I only want to be the rythmn guitarist (they have more fun at times)he says fine. We all played for about two months and all was well until the lead guitarist was in a good mood and asked me to split a solo with him on a CCR song. At first I tell him no but he gets all huffy so I say "cool" and I play a solo. Everything seemed fine until I get a call the next day from my friend telling mthat the lead guitarist called him and quit. He told my friend that he didn't like being shown up like that. My friend asked me if that's what I did and I told him no, if anything I was trying to ripp off Fogerty (not exactly Satriani). My friend said that that's what he thought too and told the lead player so. **shrug**
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Well the biggest compliment that stuck out in my head was back in my senior year of high school in 1998, and we were playing a sports hall of fame ceremony at my school Roman Catholic..which is also the same school that Marvin Harrison the great Wide Reciever for the Colts graduated from. Well he happened to be at this performance and I had a tenor sax solo during "Louie Louie" and i just wailed and played some major blues licks. Marvin came up to me after the performance and shook my hand and said "hey that was pretty damn cool." It was the best feeling in the world to get a compliment from one of my favorite athletes and one who is probably going to be inducted into the NFL hall of fame some day.

And i always enjoy when i'm jamming in my room to Jamies Cryin, or In a Simple Rhyme and my mom or bro will walk in to turn the stereo down only to find that its not a cd its me wailing away. I always get a kick outta that.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

All albums
    Favorite VH Song

All songs
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've had a couple of good moments. My old band was playing a small bar on a Friday night and we had hired a sound guy who also did sound for a somewhat recognized top 40 band. Anyway, after the show was over he came up to me and just simply said, you're one of the best original sounding guitar players that I've heard. I said thanks and found out that he went back to the guitar player and told him about me... the band ended up firing him.

Another time was when my old band was recording a demo tape and the guy who produced it said that I was one of the best sounding and original guitarist he had heard in a real long time. After the recording of the tape the band broke up!! Since then I've become a couch picker... guitar by my one side and remote by the other!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

very cool stories!!
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My story isn't so much about being complimented as it is being REALLY paid attention to.

It was around 1995. My band was playing a college party several hours from our home. The pay wasn't great, but they offered us all the alcohol we could drink and a place to stay.

We were really on fire that night. The people at the party were having a lot of fun and dancing and genuinely enjoying the noise we were making. Around 11:45, we knocked a breaker. The breaker box was in a locked room and the only person that had the key was one of the campus security guards. Somebody called and he immediately showed up to reset the breaker. While he was there, he said that there had been some complaints about the noise and that he'd give the party another 1/2 hour and then he was shutting it down.

Let me now explain my normal demeanor. I was about 20 years old at the time. I'm always kinda quiet and laid back. I sing and play guitar in the band, but as far as being a frontman, I suck. I'm not one to really do a lot of talking or pumping the crowd up between songs. Usually when I had tried it in the past, nobody really paid attention anyway.

This night was different. As soon as I heard that security was going to shut down the party, I stepped up to the mic and screamed "Security says we only have another 1/2 hour, so let's tear this fuckin' place down!!!" Instead of the normal reaction which was the sound of crickets chirping, what we got was people throwing food and beer bottles, flipping tables over, basically destroying the room! I turned to my drummer (the wild one of our band) and he says "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO?". I just shrugged my shoulders and we proceeded to play 1/2 hour worth of the most aggressive music we knew.

All told, everyone had a great time, no one was injured, and no property was really damaged. The room was a complete disaster area though.

I still remember to this day, the tone of the drummer's voice when I turned to him.

That memory is going to be hard to forget. [img]smile.gif[/img]