Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just curious if any of you guys have ever tried using a variac with a Marshall plexi or JCM800? IF so, how did it sound?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My local tech has a variac. I've run my JMP 50 through it. There was mostly a difference in the pick attack. The amp seemed to "give" a little on the pick attack. It kinda took away that clank that the 70's metal panel Marshall's and Plexis have. More springy/spongy kind of pick attack. I didn't really care for it because I dig that rude clanky bark that my JMP has. And no it was not instant VHI. The variac was just one of many things that give Eddie that sound he gets on the early albums.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by bcgvh:
    I was just curious if any of you guys have ever tried using a variac with a Marshall plexi or JCM800? IF so, how did it sound?
    I did with a JCM 800 and it just added too much noise for me to tell anything, then I found out from talking to an amp guru here in town that you shouldn't use a variac on any marshall amp made after 74' they supposedly changed something in the transformers to better except 60hz (standard US frequency) before that you could go as low as 50hz with them because in England the hz is at 55 I believe ohhh I've just went crosseyed.... [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    now I dunno if he was full of shit but since I build guitars not amps and only know where to plug in the guitars into one, and he on the other hand has built amps longer than I have played guitar I believed him, someone like to confirm this ??
    Rol.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BTW we lowered the voltage with the Variac to 90v.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bcgvh:
    I did with a JCM 800 and it just added too much noise for me to tell anything, then I found out from talking to an amp guru here in town that you shouldn't use a variac on any marshall amp made after 74' they supposedly changed something in the transformers to better except 60hz (standard US frequency) before that you could go as low as 50hz with them because in England the hz is at 55 I believe ohhh I've just went crosseyed.... [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    now I dunno if he was full of shit but since I build guitars not amps and only know where to plug in the guitars into one, and he on the other hand has built amps longer than I have played guitar I believed him, someone like to confirm this ??
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I really don't see where a variac on a master volume model would really be that useful. The addition of the preamp gain control on those amps gives you much more control in tweaking the sponginess of the pick attack. The more pre gain you add the more spongey it gets. The vibe I got from the variac with my 71 JMP was that it gave it the impression of a little extra preamp gain in the pick attack. That mixed with the little bit of fizziness that can occur with slaving an amp like Ed did could be why there seems to be more preamp gain on VHI than a Plexi can pull off.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is a cheap mod you do to the v2,it adds the xtra gain you hear on vh1..start reading the marshall forum over at the plexi palace,if you want more info.....

stan

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by bmf5150:
    There is a cheap mod you do to the v2,it adds the xtra gain you hear on vh1..start reading the marshall forum over at the plexi palace,if you want more info.....

stan
    Yep, I've read up on that. I really need to get a Plexi reissue to try some of the mods on. There's no way I could bring myself to do any kind of mod to my 71.