Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I'm practicing. I'm drinking. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Sierra Nevada beer, if you wondered.

....and Ed has me ready to down all six of them in about an hour and a half.

Have you ever practiced some of his licks, but they were so difficult...not that they were out of your physical ability, but they required so much concentration that YOU asked yourself:

"Why am I bothering with this? I could bust out a two-hand tapping part here, in the same key, hell, even with the same 'vibe', and my friends aren't gonna know the damn difference"

"Is anyone gonna know???"

"Why am I f*cking doing this to my hands?!?!?" [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

For instance, I spotted the tab to 'Beat It' the other night, so I practiced it a little bit.

I'm referrring to the really wide stretch pentatonic legato section that comes immediately after the first 2 handed tapping section. What the f*ck is that??? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] And why am I torturing my tendons trying to figure it out?

Maybe a more well known example would be that stretch picked intro to the Ice Cream Man Solo.

Ed just HAD to pick that, didn't he? Couldn't have tapped it, to save us some trouble. Jerk.

That stretch in Beat It is even worse. I can totally make the stretch, and I can totally understand the pattern, but the timing of the notes, and the speed at which they're played is nothing short of sickening. You know what else sucks? Ed probably doesn't even have to look at his fret board, or "concentrate" while playing it.

It's one thing to be innovative, and use open strings and cross-picking accross 3 strings like in the beginning of Eruption. Ok Ed, I get.

But this sh*t in Beat It should flat-out be illegal. There has got to be some committee that outlaws this crap.

And yes, I'm pretty buzzed right now.

Hey, how about that outro lick at the end of the "When It's Love" solo? The mere fact that the outro lick in the solo of a love song requires practice/repetitions is flat out disgusting.

Nobody is EVER gonna tell the difference if you mix it up a little bit. It SHOULD be that simple, right?

It's not. Ed is stuck in our heads. His playing is lodged in our minds and in our souls.

I curse you Ed. My tendons curse you. My sense of timing curses you. With my last breath I spit at thee. With.....

*I'M OUTTA BEER, BE BACK IN A MINUTE*
    [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LMFAO!

Believe me, I feel your pain...

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 969 Times in 389 Posts

haha LOL! [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

been there done that!

JMJ

[ July 12, 2002, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: JMJ ]
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hahaha! ed, alex, page, bonham.... genious, pure genious.

hendrix didn't even come close.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

PANAMA
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Majestic:"Why am I bothering with this? I could bust out a two-hand tapping part here, in the same key, hell, even with the same 'vibe', and my friends aren't gonna know the damn difference"

"Is anyone gonna know???"

YOU ARE GOING TO KNOW!!!

Like me, you play guitar because you love it.
    Impressing your friends is not you #1 goal.

p.s. I am holding my Budwiser up to the screen and saying "CHEERS"

[ July 12, 2002, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: EDHEAD ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:

It's one thing to be innovative, and use open strings and cross-picking accross 3 strings like in the beginning of Eruption. Ok Ed, I get.

I totally understand what you mean, the intro on Ice Cream Man is sickening, but wanna try something that's 10 times more flabbergasting ?(sic)
    just about anything from Steve Vai, ya know I can play most anything Ed has done but I can only play bits and pieces of anything Vai does (and make it sound good)
    Most people wrongly say he has no feeling but they probably havn't heard "Boy from Seattle" or Tender Surender" that guys stuff makes Eds playing
    (technically) look like beginning guitar.
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Majestic:

I totally understand what you mean, the intro on Ice Cream Man is sickening, but wanna try something that's 10 times more flabbergasting ?(sic)
    just about anything from Steve Vai, ya know I can play most anything Ed has done but I can only play bits and pieces of anything Vai does (and make it sound good)
    Most people wrongly say he has no feeling but they probably havn't heard "Boy from Seattle" or Tender Surender" that guys stuff makes Eds playing
    (technically) look like beginning guitar.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, try "For the Love of God" or "Kill the Guy with the Ball" sometime if you want to witness a first-hand exercise in futility! This is purely from a technical standpoint, though. In my book, technique is worthless without the ability to create great songs with it. Not that Vai hasn't written some truly awesome songs, but he's not even in Ed's league in that category, although, to be fair, precious few others are!

Another couple of technique freaks guaranteed to make you pull your hair out in clumps are Alan Holdsworth and Shawn Lane. I've learned some cool licks off of Shawn's instructional videos, but most of his shit, like Alan's, is practically impossible for all but the most gifted of musicians. Pretty cool shit to check out, though... I got to see Alan Holdsworth up close and in person several years ago, it was a truly humbling experience!

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ya, vai is technically good, but he's not a musician.

i've had every single one of this cds and theyre all a load of shit. the only one that was remotely interesting was the one with animal sounds on it, but in the end, there was no music on it, just technically cool stuff.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Alright, I'm back, and I'm sober.

Couple of points:

1)propping my guitar up on my leg and pointing is towards the ceiling, for some reason, makes the stretch easier on my hands, which affords me the ability to articulate the notes much faster. I now can "bullsh*t" the lick, but not play it note for note. Also, when using a strap, leaning back and aiming the neck up also affords me this ability, plus, it makes me look way f*cking cool. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

2) Steve Vai. I started this thread. I'm be damned if I'm gonna get in an argument, so I'll throw out a couple of observations, followed by WHY I like *both*, but like Ed more.

3)Who do I like better, and why?? Eddie. It's simple. Eddie is a short man who drinks beer, sits on the corner of his bed, and comes up with clever licks that with PRACTICE, are manageable to play (or imitate) and sound cool. Because he has all day to practice and is very inventive and musical, he comes up with awesome hooks, riffs, and licks, and is a master of his garage. Women dig that. You should know your tools.

Vai, on the other hand, has openly admitted to laying his guitar down in a barn, plucking one string, and then walking around it for 15 minutes. And then repeating this process with another string. That's just f*cking weird.

It comes down to this for me:

I identify with Ed's raw and catchy blues/rock playing. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I respect, but don't identify with Vai's guitar wizardry and often strange and alienating tone. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Fin.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Originally posted by lil'devil:

in the end, there was no music on it, just technically cool stuff.

We're on the same page, but I'm gonna be a stickler on your verbiage there, and challenge the word 'musician'.

For *my tastes*, Vai knows TOO MUCH about which modes and scales are "legal", which allows him to go over the edge with sounds that don't make me wanna drink, f*ck, fight, relax, or cry. Those are pretty much the emotions I'm looking for.

He's got 5 or 6 songs that do that for me, but for the amount he's composed, the ratio isn't too high.

This is starting to get over-board though.....I'm not 25% the technical guitarist Vai is, and he could give a rip about what I think.

Maybe that's actually why I don't identify with him?? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

hendrix didn't even come close.
    Close to what? Please, repeat after me:
    Never confuse technicality with musicality. The greats had both. Some more tech than muse. Hendrix was monstrous at both. Remember, he wasn't using Harmonizers and Floyd Rose systems, etc. etc. Plus, he is SINGING while doing all that playing.
    So I must ask again:
    Close to what?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've had every single one of this cds and theyre all a load of shit. the only one that was remotely interesting was the one with animal sounds on it, but in the end, there was no music on it, just technically cool stuff.
    I agree and disagree here, yes Vai has some very off the wall stuff, like "The Ultra Zone" that cd is a total piece of shit my kids could have done better noise making, but the EP "Alien Love Secrets" save "kill the guy with the ball" has total move me type songs, Bad Horsie,Juice, The Boy From Seattle, Tender Surrender are some of "The" best guitar only songs I've ever heard and 75% of the playing is above my head, if you can't put those songs on sit there, lean back and air guitar (stupid looking facial expressions included) right along then you have a your Steve Vai parental control turned on [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mystical, agreed on the verbiage modification, right.

cyberfidl, your right about that.... hendrix had some very unique approaches and technically he was way aheah of this contemporaries. To me, and again this is just my personal opinion, I don't hear any songs when i listen to Hendrix. I don't know what it is, the compositions just sound 'odd' (not that i can do better, this is just purely from a listeners and admirers perspective). Y'know, it's kinda of like the Led Zeppelin catalogue, some songs sound 'complete' but often they would diverge and get lost and it ends up sounding like a 'house jam' to me. Hendrix always sounded to me like the latter, i just don't get his 'music' but admire his technique. I would say that Stevie Ray Vaugh took Jimmys technical direction and managed to write 'songs'.

rol, hehehe, yeah, alien love secrets is what i was referring to. he gets closest to writing 'songs' on that one, agreed. i listened to that thing for a good long while but just lost interest in the end, music didn't connect with me that time either unfortuantely. Heehehe, love the comment about air guitar, yup!

*shrug*

thats just me.

[ July 13, 2002, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: lil'devil ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Like I can actually pick one?!
    Favorite VH Song

All of\'em
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been through all the VH tunes and I found that I may not be able to nail every one, but I put my own twist on it and become a better player because of it! Now I have to go have some surgery done on my fingers!!!!
    "THERE IS JUST ENOUGH CHRIST IN ME TO MAKE ME FEEL ALMOST GUILTY!"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I so feel your pain. Ed's timng is just............well.................sick! WTF! It's one thing to play his stuff but how the fuck does he come up with it? Here is a totally retarted part that is easy to play, but the timing? If you listen to "On Fire" during the verses where he is pedaling the E string he does this funky little slide up the sting during the 1st two bars. What the hell kinda timing is that? And why would he want to do that to us poor cretins that have a need to learn his songs? I definately have a love/hate relationship with Eddie's playing!!!
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"