Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been saving for quite sometime for a marshall 1987x and a 1960 cab. Around eight months or so. Now I've finnally got it, but I had to take it to my friend's house to crank it because I live in an apartment building(I really need to get a hot plate, that is next on my list) , but when I had it cranked I noticed it seemed to loose the tonality when I switched from my neck pickup to my bridge (it became very cheap and cuppy sounding, espically in the higher range, like when I played the fill from over the mountain it sounded rather thin, I have an epiphone Les Paul), however both were really muddy, I tried to turn my volume down because maybe I figured that since both volumes were on 10 maybe that was the problem(I have the channel's patched)But it was to no avail and it was a sizzling clean before it stopped being muddy. I'm going to need to change my bridge PU to something clearer crisper and a little hotter, I'm mainly going to use the Neck PU for my clean tones and just keep the volume down. What would be one of the best PUs for me in that situation. I also wanted something to boost it a little more, but without adding alot of coloration to the tone. I was thinking that maybe if I used a graphic EQ and turned the volume up all the way on that going into the amp, that would do the trick. Any suggestions? I love this amp and the tone of it cranked and clean but there are just little things that I think I could do to my guitar to give it that extra edge. Thanks for the help.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmm, i would use emgīs... some active pickups, and i think emg has a good sound... but the negative side: they are very expensive lol...
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You may consider using an overdrive pedal. Not so much for distortion, but if you tweak it right, it will thicken your sound, give you more sustain and get rid of the thin high end. You mentioned Over the Mountain, so remember that Randy used a distortion pedal with his Marshalls and Zakk uses an overdrive pedal and EMG pickups. Hope this helps.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

You could try the Barber Direct Drive route. It is a nice little Overdrive pedal.
    I have one and like it alot.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/edgehog.html

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

FW,WACF,Van Halen 1, FUCK,Balance,5150
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL,Not Enough
    Last Online

06.16.05 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The overdrive seems like the best Idea to me, those direct drives look great, and they really must be great since they are 5-6 weeks back ordered. I'll have to look around at a few differnt OD units, I was thinking maybe a Boss Overdrive would be good to look into as well. Thanks for the advice.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

One thing I would suggest before you go parting out your guitar is take the amp to good gear shop and have them check it out and make sure everything is biased correctly. Check the tubes in it as well... tonally you can get varing differences based on the manufacturer of the tubes... One thing is put some fresh ones in and then have it biased...

Once the amp is working it's best then as some suggest you might try and overdrive pedal to boost your incoming signal. I'd suggest Ibanez Tube Screamer either TS-8 or TS-9...

Then if you want you might start checking into different pickups...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zahzoo:
    One thing I would suggest before you go parting out your guitar is take the amp to good gear shop and have them check it out and make sure everything is biased correctly. Check the tubes in it as well... tonally you can get varing differences based on the manufacturer of the tubes... One thing is put some fresh ones in and then have it biased...

Once the amp is working it's best then as some suggest you might try and overdrive pedal to boost your incoming signal. I'd suggest Ibanez Tube Screamer either TS-8 or TS-9...

Then if you want you might start checking into different pickups...
    Good suggestions and definitely the way to go before you start dropping coin on p/u's.