Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Best of Vol. 1
    Favorite VH Song

Respect the Wind (This is such a hard question to ask VH fans!)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I need some help. I've been waiting for about 2 yrs. to finally get my wolfie (saving $ and convincing my parents that all guitars are usually on the higher end of the pricing spectrum if you want a good guitar). By the end of this summer, I'll probably have enough money to get one (you all know they're so expensive..except the asian ones and the used ones.) Right now, my wish is to get the Wolfgang Special Flame Top w/ (hopefully) Transparent Moonburst. My question is, what do you think is the better route: following my wish, or settling down w/ a "cheaper" wolfie and making my dad happy by being able to have saved more money for "spending" (for going out w/ friends or going shopping, etc.) when I'm in college? The Asian plays okay, but it's not really the same to me, like when I played the US wolfie; plus it's lacking the signature, so it feels like that guitar is like a rip off the real thing. Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

-Krys
    Keep on Rockin'!

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got a standard wolfie. Honestly, no other model can come close to it.

I agree with you, there is nothing like a standard. The cheaper versions neither look as good nor do they sound as good (people here keep on trying to convince me they sound the same, but they aren't even close to my ears). Nothing wrong with the guitars, they just arent the SAME guitar to me.

I waited long too, I promise you won't be dissapointed, there isn't another guitar like it. I will say that they are overpriced at retail tho - maybe it's just me but no guitar is worth 2k u.s. (or thereabouts) retail.

Unfortunately, now I haveto go out and buy a white and black one too because they are so nice!

Congratulations! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ June 13, 2002, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: lil'devil ]

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't heard of this "moonburst" color you're talkin about, but maybe you know something I don't...

I will say this. There is no fucking way in hell, that I am going to buy a Wolfgang new. No fucking way, when EBay always has a pretty decent selection. As far as the Flametops go, I like most of the colors, so aesthetically it wouldn't be a huge undertaking.

I bought a Wolfgang and a Wolf Special used off EBay, and they were in none other than pristine condition.

I won't say aesthetics are important to guitarist, because if they weren't, we'd all be playing BC Rich Warlocks or some other horrendous creation. While tonally, my Wolf special has different characteristics, this particular one is a ballsy motherfucker, and is by no means a bad sounding guitar.

If you must have a Special Flametop, I would definitely go Ebay, there's a couple on there now that hopefully won't get too high. And if you buy that Wolf Special Flametop new, when you could get a Wolf Standard for hundreds less on ebay, I would definitely go for that.

But if you really must have that color, then go for what you want...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This may or may not apply to your scenario, but as somebody who has gone through a few dozen guitars and amps over the years, the lesson I have learned is this: you might as well pay for quality up front, because going low quality will cost you in the long run. For example, if you compromise on the guitar you want to the extent that you're left still wanting what you originally wanted...you'll probably eventually go on and buy what you should've gotten in the first place, and it'll be wasted time and money.

If buying the guitar you want would put you too far in the hole, then maybe you should just save longer?

ratter.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Moonburst, whatever that is, is not an option on a Wolf. The only way to get a special order color like that is through the custom shop, and you don't want to know what that would cost.

It's your call and your money. IMHO, all Wolfs are pretty much alike, whether Standards, Specials, or Korean. They are all made with pretty much the same materials, and have the same electronics. The Standard is the same guitar as the Special, with a fancy maple top and a tone control added. Of course there will be subtle differences in tone from one to another, just as with any other model guitar.

BTW, the signature is going to be added to the back of the Korean Wolf headstock, due to customer requests.

I have seen some pretty good deals on Wolfs on ebay and elsewhere, and some not so good deals also. Shop carefully if that is what you want to do.

I have also seen some NOS Wolfs in stores for a decent price, so don't rule out buying new till you shop around some. Buying one used will save a few bucks on the front end, but note that Peavey warranty is NOT transferable. You get no factory warranty on a used instrument, five years on a new one.

[ June 13, 2002, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: rcrimm ]
    Roger C

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote by ratter:

This may or may not apply to your scenario, but as somebody who has gone through a few dozen guitars and amps over the years, the lesson I have learned is this: you might as well pay for quality up front, because going low quality will cost you in the long run. For example, if you compromise on the guitar you want to the extent that you're left still wanting what you originally wanted...you'll probably eventually go on and buy what you should've gotten in the first place, and it'll be wasted time and money.
    Very well said, and it couldn't be more true.
    If it's a US wolf you really want, buy the best used one you can and if it means saving a bit more for the one you really want then that's the way to go. If you comprimise then it'll always be in the back of your mind that this guitar isn't really the one you would have preferred, and you'll just have to save up all over again.
    Like rcrimm said, shop carefully.
    Have a little patience and you'll find the one that's right for you.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Patience!?!?

I need some of that!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Patience!?!?
    I need some of that!
    No shit.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by rcrimm:
    The Standard is the same guitar as the Special, with a fancy maple top and a tone control added. Of course there will be subtle differences in tone from one to another, just as with any other model guitar.
    Well almost. The standard has a slightly arched top body. And extra tone control like you said. And it has a birds eye maple neck. This neck is the most comfortable neck I've played thus far though! And to ME (maybe just me) this makes the diference...the specials I've played don't hold up to my standard in terms of feel. But like we've all said there are some differences in consistency lately. But I'm happy to say mine plays like butter.
    All in all it depends which features are important to YOU.
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I wholeheartedly agree with TheMightyCopenHalenII. You are nuts if you buy one new when you can get one used for 1/2 the price. The beauty of buying a used guitar is you can resale it for what you paid for it if you decide you want something different on down the road. Guitars are just like cars. As soon as you drive it off the lot they depreciate by 1/2 the cost.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Steely:

Well almost. The standard has a slightly arched top body. And extra tone control like you said. And it has a birds eye maple neck. This neck is the most comfortable neck I've played thus far though! And to ME (maybe just me) this makes the diference...the specials I've played don't hold up to my standard in terms of feel. But like we've all said there are some differences in consistency lately. But I'm happy to say mine plays like butter.
    All in all it depends which features are important to YOU.[/QB][/QUOTE]

There are other semi major differences between the two.. The most important being the neck pitch.. The standard is pitched back like a Les Paul while the special is straight like a tele. Also the special has chinese made parts ie, the tuners (which are pretty good ) and trem etc. The standard has Tuners made in the USA and are even better.
    Clearly a used USA special is the best dollar value. For around $400 you can get a mint special and it sounds as good as the standards IMO and I kinda like the plain jane look and feel of the special.. You are not really afriad to beat it. However if you are captivated by the standard.. go the ebay route and save almost half of what they go for new.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also the special has chinese made parts ie, the tuners (which are pretty good ) and trem etc.
    What??..lol

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by LilEVH5150:
    Hey guys,

I need some help. I've been waiting for about 2 yrs. to finally get my wolfie (saving $ and convincing my parents that all guitars are usually on the higher end of the pricing spectrum if you want a good guitar). By the end of this summer, I'll probably have enough money to get one (you all know they're so expensive..except the asian ones and the used ones.) Right now, my wish is to get the Wolfgang Special Flame Top w/ (hopefully) Transparent Moonburst. My question is, what do you think is the better route: following my wish, or settling down w/ a "cheaper" wolfie and making my dad happy by being able to have saved more money for "spending" (for going out w/ friends or going shopping, etc.) when I'm in college? The Asian plays okay, but it's not really the same to me, like when I played the US wolfie; plus it's lacking the signature, so it feels like that guitar is like a rip off the real thing. Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

-Krys
    Welcome to the house of fun, man...!

Have you tried the EBMM Axis yet....?

Go on...be a [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] !!

[ June 16, 2002, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Kamikazesheep ]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey man try www.harmony-central.com if you haven't already, I bought my first
    Wolf special there.
    Go to classified gear
    and search for one. There is a few right now I saw a Sp for $425 and even a standard for $500!!!
    "When I found the guitar, I refused to take lessons. This was my <br />real emotional release, and I didn't want to be taught how to <br />approach the instrument." Eddie Van Halen<br /><br />"While I believe our band will be most triumphant, the truth is Wyld Stallions will never be a super band until we get Eddie Van Halen on guitar." Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[quote]Originally posted by tribb:
    [b]

What??..lol
    I don't understand this response? Are you laughing because you think i'm wrong about the parts? The tuners and trem on the specials are made over seas.