Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Well my buddy who works at a music store just got 5 EBMM Axis guitars in and he's bringing the best one over tonight for me to try for the weekend.

I'll run through all kinds of setups and report how it faired.

Tribb says they're shit in comparison to the real EVH EBMM, and I believe him. The intresting thing will be to see how it fairs against other off the rack units, as well as prepare me for the joy of owning a REAL EVHMM sometime in the fall!!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sure, drag me into this!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    As long as you have, I wish you had the real thing to play it up against.

[ May 19, 2001 at 01:53 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool, I've never played am EVHMM, but the MM Axis guitars I've played I have really liked, so give an honest comparison. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Well I gave it a good run.

The workmanship is great, no sharp frets or finish flaws. The quilt is beautiful teal green. The neck's unfinshed and feels great.

As for playing it, it took some getting used to.
    The neck feels narrow and thick all at the same time.
    The frets are quite small so you feel a lot of wood under your finger tips.
    The neck joint is well thought out allowing easy access all the way up.
    The p/u selector's a 3-way and it's angled to work side to side not up and down, which I found strange.
    The floyd was set up perfectly, and it kept in tune real well.
    Out of the case unplugged it sounds bright, clear and loud.
    I plugged it into my POD Pro using the Triple Rectifier tone, and was surprised at how clearly each sting rang out even with a lot of overdrive.
    The bridge p/u sounds great, albeit a bit thin, it's quite responsive to me attack and held the sutain really well.
    Through all kinds of dirty tones, the bridge p/u performed rather well.
    Clean tones were really hard to get sounding right with the bridge p/u. It distorted a lot of the clean tones I use with my (Robin) guitar, and even after a bunch of EQing the clean sounds were just OK.
    The neck p/u was really creaming sounding with dirty tones. About the only use I found for it was for soloing. Trying to get a dirty rythme tone out of the neck p/u (even with the selector activating both p/u's)was really difficult and any tone I came up with was just OK. In all fairness, I've had a hell of a time finding any guitar that has a great neck p/u tone.

In comparison to other (similarly priced $1900.00 Canadian) guitars I would have to say that the workmanship is leagues above it's compitition. Outside of the stark whiteness of the birdseye maple neck (which I'm assuming will darken down nicely with use)it's a beautiful guitar, (who do we have to thank for that??).

Personally, I don't really like the shape of the neck, but after 4 or 5 hours of playing it was starting to feel pretty good. The frets are too small for my liking. I found it a neck that you really had to work to get the kind of response I'm used to with mine.

The floyd work well, so no complaints there.

The p/u were kind of a disapointment. The bridge sounds good, but not great. It's response is good, and the frequency response was almost perfect, which left it sounding somewhat sterile.
    The neck p/u sounds great for soloing but that's about it. Maybe if they put a treble bleed in the volume pot things might have been different.

Overall, it's a beautiful peice of work, but I would suspect that the EVHMM is much better. It's hard to say it's a bad guitar, and just as hard to say it's a great guitar. I keep coming to the conclusion that it's a safe guitar (if that makes any sense!). For a higher end guitar in comparison to others in it's class, I would have to say it's one the best guitars I've ever played.

Would I spend $1900.00 on it?
    Nope!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the comparison Homeunit. It's hard to believe that the Axis sounds too much different than the EVH, since it has the same pickups and all. And, wow, the Axis in the store you went to costs $1,900? I was just in Guitar Center the other day, and they were pricing brand new ones at around $1,150 (I'm thinkin' about getting it too [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]).

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was good test HU. The switch should go up and down, even on the axis, so it wasn't installed properly. The color of the neck will stay white until it gets dirty, then it'll be dirty white. The EVH necks were darker for the most part, and already looked and felt worn. You've seen the neck on my purple. That was the color it came from the factory with. The EVH neck is actually smaller as well. The frets are the same on both guitars. That's why I put 6105's on my EVH.
    bcgvh, they don't have the same pickups in them as the EVH. The EVH pickups are just as hot, but brighter and punchier. One problem with the EVH and axis pickup is that they're so hot they choke easy and don't have a very wide tonal range, so the problems that HU ran into with the axis, compared to the robin will be about the same on both guitars.
    HomeUnit, it sounds like your robin has lower output pickups which will actually give you more variation. Your guitar also has an ash body which will resonate better and give you a more pronounced top end than basswood.
    Your Robin will sound better on clean tones too cause the EBMM evh or axis wasn't really designed with clean tones in mind. Those pickups are too hot to sound good clean.
    All in all, there are lots of guitars that'll give you Ed's sound as well or better than an EBMM evh, or even a wolfgang for that matter, but because there were so few EBMM evh's made(and probably only 80% of them still exist as stock) they're a collector's guitar, and I imagine will keep going up in value, unlike the axis.

[ May 21, 2001 at 04:10 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's what the guy at Ernie Ball told me when I asked what the difference was between the EVH and the Axis. I figured this would be the proper time/place to post it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"Thank you for contacting Ernie Ball.

The guitar is basically the same with a few changes:

1. The volume knob now reads "volume" instead of "tone"
    2. We added a contour to the top of the back of the body for extra comfort.
    3. The three-way pickup selector switch was moved to near the volume control and is now a side-by-side motion instead of an up-down motion.
    4. The neck was widened at the body end by 1/32" to help prevent the high E string from slipping off of the neck while bending.

All other features remain the same, including the pickups, body woods,
    neck (except as noted), tuners and bridge.

The Axis is available from over 400 Music Man dealers - the EVH has been discontinued."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bcgvh:
    All other features remain the same, including the pickups, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Music Man rep up here claims that the p/u's are nothing more than a Tone Zone in the bridge and I forgot what he said was in the neck, but it wasn't an EVH p/u.

Someone is not being straight with us, either the rep up here or the dude at the factory?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's strange about the switch, cause of all the ones I and friends of mine played I don't remember even 1 going from side to side. I wonder if it's something different they're doing now.
    The neck might be 1/32 wider, but it sure feels a hell of a lot wider, and doesn't have the worn in feeling that an evh does when you pick it up.
    As well as the pickups, they are "not" the same. As I've said before, I've used tone zones and air nortons, and the axis pickup does sound like an air norton, which does not sound like an evh pickup.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All of the Axis guitars I've played had the side-side switch. Oh yeah, just the other day I e-mailed them back about the pickups and they said that the pickups are custom made, but would probably be *closest* to:

bridge- Tone Zone
    neck- Air Norton

Like I said, I've never played an EVH, so I really don't have a clue how the pickups sound in comparison to the Axis. But according to Ernie Ball, the pickups in the Axis are the exact same pickups that are in the EVH. It's not a Tone Zone in there, but that is the pickup they claim sounds closest to them. There were also some people over at Peavey's guitar forums that said Ernie Ball told them the same.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Well I'll tell you this. Regardless of what exactly the p/u's are, this is still a damned good guitar.

The Wolf's don't even compare to these things. It's just a really well built, good sounding guitar.

If I didn't have a source for a EVHMM, I would consider one of these for a rock guitar.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Homeunit...Would you post a quick comparison of the EBMM vs. a Wolfgang? Thanks dude...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SactoFan:
    Homeunit...Would you post a quick comparison of the EBMM vs. a Wolfgang? Thanks dude...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll have to ask Tribb for that, he has both, so he'll know best [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I have access to a computer, let me throw my two cents in here.

I've owned an Axis for a while now. It is quite simply the best guitar I own. Period. Since I usually play strats (with Yngwie pick-ups), the neck feels great.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if given the choice between an Axis and a Wolfgang, I'd take the Axis...oh...10 out of 10 times. You simply can't beat the quality.

I have played the EVHMM guitar as well (though haven't bought one since I don't have $3200 sitting around). Personally, Aside from slight differences in the neck and body design, if found them to be almost identical.

Just my opinion here people.

Here's a question for you guys: Has anyone played the new John Petrucci Music Man guitar?
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "I will never change because of a trend." - Yngwie J. Malmsteen
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The construction on the axis is very good as with all EBMM products. The comparison was between an axis and evh.
    I just didn't care for the sound of the axis, and the fact that my neck warped and EBMM wouldn't back it up, telling me it must have happened after it left the factory and it was my problem.
    When comparing it (axis) to a wolf standard I like the feel of the neck of the wolf much more, and the fact that the wolf is a more versatile guitar. The wolf pickups actually sound better to my ear than the axis, but that's only my opinion and eveyone has a different way of hearing things so play them both and decide for yourself.