On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know once EVH left Ernie Ball to join Peavey they continued to produce his EBMM guitar but changed the name to "AXIS".

I heard that other than moving the volume knob a few inches and widening the neck about 1/32 of an inch(at the body end anyways) it is EXACTLY the same guitar as the EBMM EVH model!

Is this true or are they pulling my chain?

Does the AXIS have the same wood, pickups and hardward as the EVH EBMM? Also, is the "AXIS" neck the same neck the EVH had cuz I heard the EBMM EVH neck was an exact replica of one of Eddie's frankenstrat necks..

Please let me know dudes cuz I dont know if the guys at Ernie Ball are just talking shit or being real. Thanks.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

10.29.11 @ 12:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The changes that I heard are:
    - Volume knob insted of tone knob
    - Axis instead of EVH signature
    - Toggle switch moved near volume knob
    - Top rear cut like strat where the player's chest rests.

Thats all the changes I know and from what I hear that is all, and the rest is the same as the EVH originals. Not sure about the knob moving or neck changing size.
    "What is understood need not be discussed, and i'm a bad ass mother".

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

From stuff I've read on here, they made a few "improvements" to the AXIS.

I believe they fixed a problem where the high E string kept slipping off the neck.

Also, there's a few other changes that I can't remember.

I'm sure the big guns on this board will be able to help out when they see this thread (tribb, homeunit, and rols for example).

I can't remember anymore. But I think it's the general belief that they're not the same guitar anymore, for whatever reason.

There's the school of thought that if you want the guitar that Eddie played, go for his signature model.

However, there is also the school of thought that the AXIS is the better guitar, because of all the "improvements" made.

But it's all a matter of opinion.

Personally, I've never found an AXIS that I like, but then again, the last EBMM I played, I didn't like either. Just depends on the actual guitar you are playing at the time I guess. But from what I can remember, the AXIS and the EBMM did feel different to me !

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Badabing,
    I don't see why EB/MM would not give accurate info regarding their instruments.
    I'm planning to pick up an Axis in the next few months (and possibly sell my Wolfgang - I'm undecided )
    You'll find some good info in the reviews at Harmony Central of the Axis and EB.MM EVH and at the Ernie Ball forums. The vast majority of the stuff I've read about EB/MM has been very good, and so far their customer service has been great to deal with. I've asked EB/MM to let me know what the differences are between the two guitars so if your interested in what their response is feel free to PM me.

Artemis

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cool deal. I heard their customer service is solid but ya never know really who is on the other end of the line...lol

Lemme know everything they tell ya and I'll compare to what the dude told me. From what I have heard they are pretty much the same except, as I said, the volume knob was moved over & the neck was widened just 1/32 of an inch at the body end of it.
    Thanks.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Badabing
    If you go to the EB/MM web page their customer service people have their names and emails on the site so you know exactly who your dealing with.

EB/MM said pretty much what you've already been told - toggle switch has been moved, the volume knob is now labelled as 'volume' not 'tone' as it used to be when EVH was with them. EBMM customer service has responded to me within 24hrs which I think is pretty good.

I've read that the body of the Axis is now contoured (like a strat) to fit the body better and some people have said that there is a very minor difference in neck profile between the two.

It seems that the reality is that the Axis is 98% of what the EBMM EVH model was. Also, an argument raised on the Ernie Ball Forums is that some people may actually prefer the Axis with its adjustments over the original EVH model.

The bottom line for me is whether the Axis is a nicer guitar to play than the Wolfgang - and whether it sounds better. If so then I'll pick up an Axis. I liked Eddie's sound on F.U.C.K., Right Here Right Now, and Balance so if the Axis gets me closer to that I'd be happy.

The reviews at Harmony Central may be helpfull, if you haven't read them yet. They can be found here:- http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Ernie-Ball/

I wonder how many times this subject has been dealt with over the last few years at all the VH guitar forums? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Artemis

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the past I would have said EBMM was a more than trustworthy company. However, in the last year my opinion has somewhat changed due to their handling of the John Petrucci signature series gutiars. Many of those guitars are flawed with stress cracks at the neck joint. If you read the John Petrucci forum enough, you'll see many stories of folks laying down $2000+ for an EBMM JPM, and ending up with stress cracks. According to EBMM, they'll only own up to 23 complaints about stress cracks. EBMM first blamed the cases, then blamed the shipping method. They changed the cases and it's still happening. They are doing everything they can to fix it AFTER it happens, but I don't feel their being completely honest about the situation. One guy on the JP forum checked out some JPM's at a local Guitar Center and found 2 out of 3 with stress cracks and one Steve 'Luke' model with a stress crack at the heel. Seems like a lapse in quality control to me. If there is a problem with the design of the guitar, pull it off the market and fix it. Don't continue to sell a $2000 problem with the promise to fix it later.

In regard to the Axis and the EVH models, all I know is this. They are supposed to be pretty much the same, but I've heard owners of both saying there is a sound difference, be it slight.
    I've tried out the Axis several times and it is a damn nice guitar. However, I still prefer the Wolfgang neck over the Axis neck, and there lies my preference for the Wolfgang. In the end, it's what works best for you.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As Tre said its wot works for you, I've played both the Wolf and the Axis and I bought the.....Axis, it is everything i've always wanted from a guitar
    Wot it boiled down to in the end was that it felt right aint no other way to describe it .... that and it had a killer quilt...

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i went to a music / guitar store and i found the Axis was dearer than the wolfgangs.
    rock

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trennasol,
    That's not good to hear about the JP necks. The other thing I read on the EBMM forums is people having to make constant adjustments on their Axis necks, doesn't EB/MM put in the graphite rods to re-inforce the neck like the Wolfgang?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

My EVH EBMM plays much nicer than my Wolfie, but the sound on my Wolfie is way beefier.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Brett:
    My EVH EBMM plays much nicer than my Wolfie, but the sound on my Wolfie is way beefier.
    I'm intrigued..how so..?

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Kamikazesheep:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Brett:
    I'm intrigued..how so..? </font>[/QUOTE]I would say I definitely agree with that sentiment.

I think the EBMM EVH has a nice balanced string response, but don't me wrong it does have balls. The Wolfgang has more Bass response with good topend, but doesn't have the mids that the EBMM does, in my opinion.

I love the necks on both instruments. But the EBMM is just so supple, like a Woman's legs after she just shaved and lotioned.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!