Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know what it does, but I just wanna know the real purpose. I think it's annoying. And can I put a 10 inch speaker in my amp that normally has an 8 inch? 10W just doesn't last long enough. My speaker is going bad. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:45 AM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

For me reverb adds ambience and takes the flat sound you usually get from your cabinet and gives it depth. If you use to much, it sounds like you're playing in an echo chamber, but the right amount of reverb on your sound can make a world of difference.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Reverb gives the impression that you are playing in an acoustically 'live' room. When dealing with spring reverb, you basically get one 'room' with varying degrees of reverb volume. With digital reverbs, especially good ones, you can simulate a room of virtually any size, shape, and material, from a garage to a church to a huge concert hall.

Using reverb adds depth and fullness to your sound, but of course it can be overdone. To my ears, a guitar sound with NO ambience (echo or reverb) is not pleasing. In a full mix, reverb is used to help make instruments/voices seem more up-front or more distant, as well as smooth out the overall sound.

Think of it this way: the finest symphony orchestras in the world sound small and unimpressive in a small rehearsal room, but on stage in an acoustically designed hall (made for the purpose of good reverb) they sound like God. It makes sounds much more complex and rich in character.

If you find reverb annoying, either you have never heard a good reverb, or you are simply paraphrasing Eddie. There is not a moment of reverb to be found on VH3, which is a major reason it sounds like it does.

As for your speakers...no, you can't just put a 10" where an 8" belongs. If you are blowing your speaker, either don't play so loud (heh) or replace it with a HEAVY DUTY speaker. If your amp is, say, 25 watts, it will have peaks MUCH higher than that. Those peaks often destroy speakers. So, you want to over-rate your speakers compared to your amp.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Want to hear an amazing use of echo, listen to "Van Halen."
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Reverb is used in studios to simulate a room or hall. Brett is right it gives the original tone some depth. However, when playing live, you really don't need reverb (there are exceptions, especially when using old Fender amps), the main reason being, that your amp is already in a room. Too much reverb live is the kiss of death. . .and a one way ticket to the disappearing guitar tone. I know some of you will disagree, and that's okay.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I don't Jape, I don't even use reverb live.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't disagree Jape. You're absolutely right. Like Brett, I don't use reverb live either. It just muddies your tone and makes you disappear into the mix. As guitar players our ego's would never stand for that..lol
    I use a bit of delay in the loop, which kind of simulates reverb but doesn't cut the sound like reverb will.
    Kenyon, there are active and passive reverbs. A passive reverb is like the one in fender amps which use a passive tone control system. That's what gives old fenders such a smooth, even sounding reverb. With an active reverb it means the tone controls are active, and without going into boring details, if you have an amp with an active eq, which you might have, you have to be careful with how much you tweak the reverb.
    Even turning it over 1 or 2 will suddenly go from almost no reverb to sounding like you're in a cavern. As far as changing speakers, that's a good idea cause the amp you have is notorious for blowing speakers. The speakers that come with your amp are very low quality and it doesn't take much to wreck the coil. "But" don't go to a 10" speaker. Your baffle is cut for an eight incher and a ten won't fit right or sound right.
    Just invest in a better, more powerful 8" speaker. Your amp will sound better, and you'll be able to crank it with out damage to the cone. Get an 8" 50 watt celestion, or something along those lines. It's worth the effort of finding the right speaker. There's lots of good 8" speakers out there. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Hell my ego can't stand not being louder than the other guitar player in my band. Thankfully he sings head, so he don't notice me turning up. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I use my delay to simulate reverb live too Tribb, it gives my tone some depth while not washing my sound out in the mix.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett:
    Thankfully he sings head, so he don't notice me turning up. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa...that sounds kinda kinky! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

(tack another one on to the 'delay-instead-of-reverb-when-playing-live list, even though i don't play out anymore)
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanx kids. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] How much to 8" Celetions run? I tried Musician's Friend, but they seem to cost more than anyone else.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kenyon, don't buy an 8" speaker off the net when you're not familiar with them. Go to a music store where you can check some speakers out. You'll get a better deal, as well as some sort of warranty. Also, you'll probably be able to hear the speaker.