Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Help!!!

AZ Halen
    Hey everyone...my wife bought me a brand new, beautiful, blue flame, EVH Wolfgang guitar. Only one problem, I don't know how to play a fricken note! I have some starter books but find them little help. I can't even tune the thing. Should I break down and take lessons or are there specific guides out there worth a shit?? The guitar is beautiful but if I don't learn something soon she might make me sell it. P.S., I have had zero musical training in my life and feel pretty stupid!! Help!!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would take lessons untill you are capable of learning stuff on your own. Find a good teacher that likes the same style of music you have. Tell him what you want to learn.
    Cool guitar!!!!!!!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dude take some lessons! It's the fastest way. Books are good, but they don't give you the benefit of another person showing you how just to make sure your doing it right, or are on the right track!! I know Eddie is self taught, but Eddie took piano lessons first, so that helped him a TON!!

------------------
    "Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.A.A.S
    E.B.A.S

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is nothing quite like the joy of music.
    I suggest that since you have the guitar, you make use of it and set aside some time to discover what could be a 'hidden talent' just waiting to emerge!

Go ahead and hire a teacher so that you can get the basics of music and guitar down.
    I'm sure you will enjoy it. Remember to dedicate time to it, cos no-one became good overnight. Hopefully the experience will be as enjoyable for you as it was for me.

All the very best.

-------------------------------------------

"So let it be written, so let it be done."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good advice from all these guys. Private lessons will get over the first hurdles that you'll usually run into, and have you playing much faster than a book will. Books can tend to dicourage new players as well. Plus your teacher will show you proper hand placement, etc., which will keep you from making mistakes that you might mistake for lack of talent, when all it might be is simply the way your hand fingers the neck.
    Go for the lessons and practice in between them, and we may be doing a site on you one day. Have fun. Thank your wife too. That's a nice instrument for a beginner.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 11,572 Times in 4,933 Posts

Can I marry your wife AZ? A Wolfgang for a guy who has never picked up a guitar in his life? Way cool, I'll have to remind my soon-to-be wife of this story when I need another Wolfie or EBMM.

Personally I think books are useless except for learning open chords. At least get those down, and you'll feel like you're accomplishing something. I didn't take any lessons myself, although I probably could have progressed much faster if I did. For me, I learned the most just from jamming with records after I knew basic chords. I did buy a lead guitar book I think when I first became a lead player for scales, but I learned more from playing with the first few VH records than any book. And yes, I played piano first too, so that did help. The thing to remember whichever way you go is not to get frustrated! That happens to so many beginning players, you can't play like a pro overnight, it's going to take time, and it is frustrating. So hang in there, and just try to enjoy it, because if you don't enjoy it, what's the point of playing.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

[This message has been edited by Brett (edited August 21, 2000 at 10:19 AM).]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you have a good teacher, lessons are definately worth it. I've been taking lessons now for about 5 years. My teacher, Joel Gregoire graduated with honors from the L.A. school of guitar along with other such notible players as Paul Guilbert. He also played with Steve Vai after winning a song creation contest. He's majorly influenced by Eddie.

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

AZ Halen
    Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Lessons it is! P.S., Hey Brett, no you can't but you can see her in the Mas Tequila video! She's the one with her top on...lol

------------------
    Why behave in public if you're living on a playground? Fools...