Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just wondering about opinions on Ed Roman, for those of you that are familiar with him.
    Only those guys that may have dealt with him in the past. No rumours, just facts if you have any.
    Not interested in what a friend of a friend told you or what you might have read on another forum.
    I know a lot of his stuff is overpriced, but I'm curious as to what some of you guys think of the quality of his guitars.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

everything looks nice on his site...OK, so i can't say that i heard he's a real pain to deal with, or whatever. i'm just checking his site, and he took off a lot of the "rules" of dealing with him. that would have made it a lot easier...

here's a good quote i found on ER's site:"Please don't e-mail me unless it is important, I am short on time," which, to me, is a wordy way of saying "fuck off."

here's anotheron Steinberger)"I have all the original logs and lists of serial numbers, I have all the original invoices and bills that were left behind in the Newburgh factory when the plant shut down. I even have all the original molds & jigs. I have them strictly for historical reasons and I will never reproduce the original instruments. Don't even think of calling me for serial # identification or for instrument validation. I WILL NOT DO IT !!!" so he's gone to great lengths to protect and preserve the Steinberger product, but god forbid you want to verify your serial number. sounds like another "fuck you" to me.

i've never seen one positive comment about him yet. i know that's not what you want to hear, but i think i'd take that into consideration before dropping any serious money on something Ed's got. besides, what's the point of buying a real Wolfgang, and having ER "redo" it, with a completely different body...which would not be your Wolfgang anymore, it'd be a custom model.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I once emailed him in regards to commissioning a guitar for me. It was short and concise (as his distain for email is legendary, I kept mine to a few short paragraphs) and I was sure to tell him that I was financially prepared.

My reply was a short message regarding how he would like my email restructured to his liking. It made no mention of anything regarding guitars. In the time that it took for him to reply to my message, he could have read it and had a customer. Instead (thankfully), I got insight to his customer service skills and spent my hard-earned $3+k elsewhere. After all, I wanted to work with someone to make an instrument, and I didnít see that being possible as there was already no democracy in our short conversation. I still have a copy of it, but I refuse to publish it on any site. I think that his reputation speaks for itself.

As far as his instruments are concerned, I have only played a few and they were of high quality.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wasn't looking for good, or bad comments. Just comments in general.
    Thanks guys.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I once bought a used Steiny on ebay and went to Roman for a used replacement body (the double-cutaway M series kind of body). The guy is just a total ass, but fortunately for him, he has his hooks into some very desirable and hard-to-find things (I mean...where the heck else would I go to find a used Steinberger body?). He basically went around and gobbled up every last bit of Steinberger gear or parts that he could find and hordes the stuff and sells it for a premium. Fair enough, he's out to make a buck...but then he acts like he's doing players/fans some grand favor by "preserving history". Yeah, right. Preserving his bank account, more like.

And yeah, on the couple of occasions that I spoke with him, he only really listened when I started the conversation with "I'd like to buy...". Customer service? Courtesy? No. He's the classic sleazeball with dollar-signs sparkling in his eyes, and from what I've been able to tell, he completely deserves the reputation he's gotten.

ratter.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

I drove out to meet with Ed Roman in Conn. about 1 month ago.
    I like to state a couple of things about myself first. I am a quiet laid back person just an ordinary person and not a bs'er. Also I did alot of web searching on how people felt about him(people just don't like him from what I read). I live in an area of NJ with about 6 guitar stores within 10 mile radius and I was not happy with much of the help I recieved. So I said WTF I will go see Ed Roman.
    I first e-mailed him and recieved no response. About 4 days later I called and made an appointment with him. The running joke at my job was the I was going to be thrown out right when I walked in.
    I personally like him. He spent a decent amount of time with me(alot more than what I expected) and showed me around his show rooms. To me he has a straight foward attitude and puts his money where his mouth is. I am buying a custom guitar from him and have spoken to him twice on the phone since then (both great experiences). People are going to say well "You are buying something from him that is why he was nice to you". He was nice before that. Also he has an extreme hands on approach to his products and does take pride in his guitars.
    I am sure this post with probably be a great target for flames but so far I am happy with the service I received and I can't wait for my guitar.

[ April 16, 2002 at 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Onirb ]</p>

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i wouldn't flame ya for that. that's the first good thing i've read about ER. so far, you're in the minority, but i guess it could happen...the Steinberger thing just burns me. i don't have one, i'd like one, and i'd hate to have to deal with ER to maintain it. i guess i'm spoiled, i have two Hamer guitars that i bought used, and if i needed any information on them, i can call the factory and they'll look it up in their serial number logbooks. i don't see how buying Steinberger's serial number logs etc and then not sharing the information is doing anyone (but ER) any good. i have a Steiny copy that i'm making a couple bodies for, and now MusicYo has some trems available, so i may not have to deal with Ed.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, I heard a lot of negative stuff about him too. My luthier has contacted him and likes him cause he says he's a no nonsense type. He gets a lot of email constantly that goes nowhere and just wastes his time so apparently he doesn't like to bother unless he feels you're serious and know what you want.
    My luthier a really good guy, who I hang out with at times and has taught me a lot, also has a reputation as being a prick. I've heard him hang up on people for wasting his time, or refusing to build for them because they ask what he calls stupid questions.
    I probably woudn't handle things like him, but I can see where he's coming from after hearing some of the things people ask him repeatedly, after he's answered their question. It's as if they don't want to believe what he's telling them so they keep asking the same thing in a roundabout way, thinking he'll tell them what they want to hear.
    There's nothing that pisses off a good luthier like someone who doesn't know what he wants, and hums and haws after being told repeatedly what to expect from different wood combinations and pickups, and then complaining that it doesn't sound the way he expected.
    It kind of makes me see Ed Roman in a different light.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I know for a fact that Ed Roman has lied to people, I have to thank him though cause several of my customers contacted him first and were turned off by his bullshit, telling people he built the Kramers for EVH etc etc.
    He also told me that he had the copyright to the Bananna Headstock and that he'd sue anyone making it, another crock of shit, if anyone has it Kramer does.
    Also you guys know the "EdBerger"?? that guitar was designed by a guy named Steve Hennings, he contacted Roman to build the guitar and when it was done Ed claimed the design for himself and didn't even mention Steve I could go on and well I'm gonna go on.
    Anyone seen the picture on his Eddie Van Halen page (that page is now gone because of the lawyers) of what looks like a music store with dozens and dozens of striped guitars, 5150's Frankys, wolfgangs, Musicman EVHs and then even more non striped Wolfies and MMs etc etc it had under it "no this is not Eddie Van Halens basement, these guitars belong to a good customer of mine" well that good customer is the guy who actually made the striped Guitars For Ed, he wasn't a good customer he was his supplier and the guy wasn't happy about it either but Roman wouldn't do anything about it. that's just cheeeeeeesy .
    ok I'm done.
    Rol.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I checked out Ed's site ages ago, when I first got the internet, looking for a copy of the 5150 and on one of his pages were a lot of bodies and necks on the floor as if mass-produced all identical to EVH's

I emailed him (a few times) to make sure of every detail before I dealt with him.
    His emails were helpful and friendly and so I decided to buy one.

I knew it wouldn't be cheap and it turned out I was right ($2,200)

When I got it, it didn't look like the picture on his site. For one, the 5150 at the bottom, I think was painted on in black a lot bigger than on Eddie's. There are a few minor details too but other than that it was great.
    Good finish, played great, good sound, nice guitar.

Although, and I don't know what caused it, after about a month (maybe two) I could no longer play notes at the high-end of the neck on the top 3 strings and believe it needs fret-filing.

I had a bad experience with this procedure on my last guitar and so never got it done and it just sat in it's case. I'm getting it done soon though.

I still don't know what to make of Ed Roman. Good or Bad? You decide.

[ April 17, 2002 at 03:20 AM: Message edited by: atomicpunk2001 ]</p>

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    Actually, I heard a lot of negative stuff about him too. My luthier has contacted him and likes him cause he says he's a no nonsense type. He gets a lot of email constantly that goes nowhere and just wastes his time so apparently he doesn't like to bother unless he feels you're serious and know what you want.
    My luthier a really good guy, who I hang out with at times and has taught me a lot, also has a reputation as being a prick. I've heard him hang up on people for wasting his time, or refusing to build for them because they ask what he calls stupid questions.
    I probably woudn't handle things like him, but I can see where he's coming from after hearing some of the things people ask him repeatedly, after he's answered their question. It's as if they don't want to believe what he's telling them so they keep asking the same thing in a roundabout way, thinking he'll tell them what they want to hear.
    There's nothing that pisses off a good luthier like someone who doesn't know what he wants, and hums and haws after being told repeatedly what to expect from different wood combinations and pickups, and then complaining that it doesn't sound the way he expected.
    It kind of makes me see Ed Roman in a different light.
    tribb, I can see what you're saying here, but who amongst these guys *doesn't* get constantly hassled, asked stupid questions, etc? And he's not even building anything...he's just running the shop. Meanwhile, there are plenty of other manufacturers and/or shop owners who could use the same excuse that Ed does for his lack of social skills, but they don't because they realize that you need customer service to have happy customers. I think Roman just wants to come off as some kind of mover and shaker.

His hoarding of Steinberger parts burns me the most. It's abundantly, slap-in-the-face clear to anyone with half a brain that his entire motivation is the $$$ at this point. There's a store near here with an original Steiny...the two hummer, transtrem one that EVH played. Nothing out of the ordinary about it. Pricetag? $3500. In my mind, Ed Roman and Gibson are both to blame for that sorry state of affairs.

ratter.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys bring up some good points.
    I know that Ed Roman has other people do his "custom" work.
    I think Rols has had more direct contact with Roman, and I believe what I'm reading, so maybe Ed Roman's walking a fine line.
    I was curious as to what you guys think.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    You guys bring up some good points.
    I know that Ed Roman has other people do his "custom" work.
    I think Rols has had more direct contact with Roman, and I believe what I'm reading, so maybe Ed Roman's walking a fine line.
    I was curious as to what you guys think.
    i was thinking "don't do it!" cause the last thing i want to read is someone else saying they got screwed by Ed Roman...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

I know that people do his custom work because I have spoken to the person 2 times on the phone already. Also I forgot to mention that I did speak to Ed Roman last Tuesday morning(after the lawyer news from Monday night). Maybe Rols can say when he was informed about the lawyer stuff? I thought he wasn't going to speak to me and he spent about 20 minutes on the phone with no problems. It is weird because after reading some of the posts I thought some of my questions to Ed Roman would have brought some stuff out but I didn't I guess I just have been lucky.