Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This guitar has been at my local guitar store for the last two months. The guys at the store told me that it is 1 of 2 guitars built by kramer for Edward intended to be a road guitar on the 1984 tour. Ed only took one of them for whatever reason and left this one behind. The first owner of this guitar passed away and the new owner is having the hardware restored at the guitar store. The first owner may have worked for Kramer? I guess the new owner isn’t a van halen fan because he doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to get it back. By looking at the pictures is there anything about the looks of it that would discredit it? Does it look authentic? I honestly can’t tell.
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/evh5150_b...dir=/My+Photos

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Here's my 2 cents. After you read this you can give me a refund. The headstock is all wrong. Ed's Kramers resembled a hockey stick, not christmas stocking. Just too fat in the belly of the head stock. And the horns on the body look all wrong. Too pointy for a Kramer. Plus, even though the pictures are kind of bad, the paint looks dirt cheap and amateurish. Alas, it appears to be crap. And one that stinks at that [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Anyone else???

[ January 23, 2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You may be 100% correct. That's why I posted. I figured that there would be some experts on this forum that could look at it and notice details that I wouldn't know to look for. The paint job seems faded but the striping job looks pretty good in person. The story I was told could be total crap? I don't know?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by redrocker55:
    This guitar has been at my local guitar store for the last two months. The guys at the store told me that it is 1 of 2 guitars built by kramer for Edward intended to be a road guitar on the 1984 tour. Ed only took one of them for whatever reason and left this one behind. The first owner of this guitar passed away and the new owner is having the hardware restored at the guitar store. The first owner may have worked for Kramer? I guess the new owner isn’t a van halen fan because he doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to get it back. By looking at the pictures is there anything about the looks of it that would discredit it? Does it look authentic? I honestly can’t tell.
    well Ed had many kramers built for him, and El Jalepeno the peghead shape doesn't mean a thing he had pointy, fat, round etc etc, also the paint doesn't mean a thing some I have seen some of his that were leaky and sloppy like krazy, names of the people would be nice that can help in verificaion, he gave more than a few away and it's possible, the pattern does look familiar I should have an answer shortly.
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redrocker55:
    well Ed had many kramers built for him, and El Jalepeno the peghead shape doesn't mean a thing he had pointy, fat, round etc etc, also the paint doesn't mean a thing some I have seen some of his that were leaky and sloppy like krazy, names of the people would be nice that can help in verificaion, he gave more than a few away and it's possible, the pattern does look familiar I should have an answer shortly.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I go to that store every monday. I will see if they can give me the names of the owners and some more details if they have any. Thanks for your help! It will be nice to know if the guitar is real.

Live Music Capital of the World" Austin, Texas!
    Favorite VH Album

5150 Baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

07.15.12 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That looks like a poor amature piece of shit. The guy should be locked up for trying to pass that off as an official EVH guitar.

Kick his ass for me or I'll fly over and do it myself!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Me Wise Magic, a
    Last Online

03.06.12 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Then give me the guitar.

Completed.
    A little zen, headed you way...<br />Formally Ignorance_Is_Bliss

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My 2 cents.

Didn't Eddie always want his guitars to look as crap as possible. I remember Val got him that stripey wolfgang, and he had it redone, because it looked too nice. He wanted it to look crappier.

So if this is the case, the quality of the paint job might not be anything to go by. In fact, the crappier it looks, the more likely it may be that it was one of his !

"<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just something to throw in the mix, but do any of his guitars have the same stripe job? That stripe job looks like it may have been copied from another axe where his other ones look a lot more random...

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by chief99:
    Just something to throw in the mix, but do any of his guitars have the same stripe job? That stripe job looks like it may have been copied from another axe where his other ones look a lot more random...
    I looked for that paint job in all of my old van halen guitar worlds. I couldn't find one that matched.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What about the "EVH" in the neck joint? Or did he only do that on the ones HE built?

[ January 24, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: SMUDGE NYC ]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SMUDGE NYC:
    What about the "EVH" in the neck joint? Or did he only do that on the ones HE built?
    You mean in between the neck and the body or somewhere visible? I only had the guitar in my hands for about a minute and that was in November. I don't remember seeing anything like that on it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by mondola:
    My 2 cents.

Didn't Eddie always want his guitars to look as crap as possible. I remember Val got him that stripey wolfgang, and he had it redone, because it looked too nice. He wanted it to look crappier.

So if this is the case, the quality of the paint job might not be anything to go by. In fact, the crappier it looks, the more likely it may be that it was one of his !

Define crap. I, personally, prefer a guitar to have "personality". I had an old Fender strat. I spray painted it white and black (Two wedges, not stripes), and clear coated it with some clear coat, I dropped an EMG 81 in it, Electric Blue Kahler cam locking tremelo and nut, put a clear pickguard on it so you could see the wires and pickups (Which were spray painted), but they wouldn't fall out [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] I loved that guitar. My wife hated it.

So I eventually had all the hardware gold plated (Khaler cam tremelo included), refinished the body and cleaned the neck, slapped on a white pearl pickguard, and "Voila!" I had an axe fresh from the vault. I played it a half a dozen times before I finally sold it. The guitar lacked personality. That may be what you're thinking. Lots of guys try to personalize their guitars with band aids and stupid shit... They just don't get it [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]

Regarding the guitar in question, like someone else mentioned, it is too amateurish, and it looks totally out of whack. It looks like a cheap knock-off, and nothing more. Even the Ripleys custom made for Ed around this time had well defined bodies and headstocks.

[ January 24, 2003, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mondola:
    My 2 cents.

Define crap. I, personally, prefer a guitar to have "personality". I had an old Fender strat. I spray painted it white and black (Two wedges, not stripes), and clear coated it with some clear coat, I dropped an EMG 81 in it, Electric Blue Kahler cam locking tremelo and nut, put a clear pickguard on it so you could see the wires and pickups (Which were spray painted), but they wouldn't fall out [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] I loved that guitar. My wife hated it.

So I eventually had all the hardware gold plated (Khaler cam tremelo included), refinished the body and cleaned the neck, slapped on a white pearl pickguard, and "Voila!" I had an axe fresh from the vault. I played it a half a dozen times before I finally sold it. The guitar lacked personality. That may be what you're thinking. Lots of guys try to personalize their guitars with band aids and stupid shit... They just don't get it [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]

Regarding the guitar in question, like someone else mentioned, it is too amateurish, and it looks totally out of whack. It looks like a cheap knock-off, and nothing more. Even the Ripleys custom made for Ed around this time had well defined bodies and headstocks.
    </font>[/QUOTE]A lot of pegheads were custom cut for Ed, the 5150 peghead was not a production peghead, the Kramer ad was not a production peghead and neither was the HFT,
    he may have not liked that peghead for the same reasons you and I don't that's why he might have gave it away or turned it down, the stuff he did not take or use or give to someone else was to be destroyed but several pieces escaped and this could be one.

Anyone remember a month ago or so the guy on ebay selling the ugly ass striped jacket and pants ?
    and he also showed a pic of what he said was one of Eds real guitars ? everyone jumped all over it
    saying just about what is being said now about this one and guess what ? it was a real EVH striped guitar with leaks in the paint on the body and peghead like a 4yr old painted it.
    There are tale tell signs on those guitars and as soon as redrock get me some pic or can tell me some of the things I ask we will know.
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mondola:
    My 2 cents.

</font>[/QUOTE]A lot of pegheads were custom cut for Ed, the 5150 peghead was not a production peghead, the Kramer ad was not a production peghead and neither was the HFT,
    he may have not liked that peghead for the same reasons you and I don't that's why he might have gave it away or turned it down, the stuff he did not take or use or give to someone else was to be destroyed but several pieces escaped and this could be one.

Anyone remember a month ago or so the guy on ebay selling the ugly ass striped jacket and pants ?
    and he also showed a pic of what he said was one of Eds real guitars ? everyone jumped all over it
    saying just about what is being said now about this one and guess what ? it was a real EVH striped guitar with leaks in the paint on the body and peghead like a 4yr old painted it.
    There are tale tell signs on those guitars and as soon as redrock get me some pic or can tell me some of the things I ask we will know.
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I will get all the information I can on monday and post it monday afternoon. When I was told the story I think the guy at the store gave a few names. I just can't remember them because it was in november. The feel of the neck on that guitar is awesome! It reminds me of my wolfgang.