Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

05.09.09 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i would like some information on how to oil finish a neck.i am currently working on a 5150.i need to know the techniques on how to do it.i am torn between an unfinished neck,a oil finish,or a lacquer finish.will i get oil on my fingers.i dont think my strings would like a build up of oil.any thoughts on this rol.

[ July 01, 2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: stratman5150 ]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not Rol but I remember him saying several times that the 5150 is raw. No finish whatsoever, not even oil(even though a light oil finish will help to keep it from drying out too much.)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not Rol either, but you won't oil on your hands, and you won't feel any oily surface whatsoever if the oiling is done right. The factory oil finish is usually a combination of gunstock oil and liquid wax, and takes some time and work to apply correctly.
    If it's a tung oil finish it will still feel like bare wood and there won't be any oily feel. Tung oil drys and makes a very good wood sealant for untreated maple while still leaving the feel of bare wood.
    Lemon oil is good for cleaning the wood, but if you're using completely bare wood to start with, lemon oil doesn't make a good sealer, and will either soak into the wood making it feel too dry or leave it oily feeling if you use too much.
    Try a good quality tung oil on bare wood first.
    Just wipe it on in thin coats with a lint free cloth, like terry cloth, immediately wiping again to remove any extra oil. The first coat ot two will soak into the wood.
    You can repeat this every hour for 2-4 coats. Tung oil takes about 15-20 minutes to dry, but give it an hour between coats.
    At that time it'll be sealed, but will still feel like bare wood. Tung oil will tend to darken the wood slightly as well. If you do tung oil it, after you've applied the last coat of oil allow it to properly dry over night, and then rub the frets with a peice of 0000 very fine steel wool.
    The oil will coat them, but the steel wool will bring the shine back.
    By the way, just in case you're using a rosewood fretboard, don't use tung oil on the rosewood, that's only for raw maple.
    For rosewood use boiled linseed oil, one light coat being enough.
    An oil finish is simply a way to protect the wood and slow down the process of moisture entering the pores of the wood.
    You can get a wipe on poly coat as well, and I've done some necks and bodies like that, but it's a little tricky, and you have to get it right the first time.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Doesn't sound like we're talking about a stock EBMM here, but just for the record:

The guys at EBMM indicated that they use Tru Oil brand Gun Stock oil finish on the necks. They also rub it in....interestingly enough.....with their bare fingers. So it LITERALLY is a "hand rubbed oil finished neck". [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

No joke.

Anyway, based on their official recommendation, I did that and put on a coat both on my Axis standard and my Super Sport. I had to go Gander Mountain to find the exact brand. (Gander Mountain is a nature/fishing/camping, hunting outlet, if anybody wondered). I found it in the gun section.

Supposedly even an every day player won't need to re-apply it any more often than annually, but everybody's sweat and acid levels are different, etc.

Just an FYI. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup, and if you mix in about 10-20% liquid gun stock wax it works even better. I used to do it to my evh necks about once a year when I took them on the road, and then finish it with a lambs wool buffing wheel and it worked great.
    Some companies actually dip the neck in the oil/wax mixture, let them dry and then buff them.
    Now my evh's are packed away. I use a custom guitar and I use tung oil on it cause it's less labour intensive, and after it's buffed it works fine too.
    Haven't heard from Rols yet. I'm curious as to what he does on new necks.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, I am not Rol either...but I had a comment.

Peavey uses "lemon oil" only, on the Wolfgang necks. I put lemon oil in quotes because it is a misconception and it is the oil of a lemon or something. My understanding (and I would have to go dig this up, but I have the info somewhere) is that lemon oil is actually boiled linseed (or some other) oil with lemon scent and/or coloring.

Peavey uses/sells only clear lemon oil, the colored kind will stain your neck. I have never heard of any problems related to necks drying out if they were regularly maintained with lemon oil.

I do live in the South where the humidity is high, so drying usually isn't a problem here. I recommend the Peavey lemon oil all the time though, and haven't had any complaints. It is the same stuff we use in the factory, and won't hurt the neck on a Wolf. I don't know how it would react with a tung oil finish, so I don't know if I would recommend it for that. Rol?
    Roger C

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    Yup, and if you mix in about 10-20% liquid gun stock wax it works even better. I used to do it to my evh necks about once a year when I took them on the road, and then finish it with a lambs wool buffing wheel and it worked great.
    Some companies actually dip the neck in the oil/wax mixture, let them dry and then buff them.
    Now my evh's are packed away. I use a custom guitar and I use tung oil on it cause it's less labour intensive, and after it's buffed it works fine too.
    Haven't heard from Rols yet. I'm curious as to what he does on new necks.
    Um I am Rol and ....
    What I do with my necks is basically what you already posted, I get them bare no finish at all and I finish them with Behlens Tung oil (also known as China wood oil) I get it from Stew Mac,
    I rub it in by hand wait 15 min then wipe it off with a clean rag, wait a day and do it again I do only 3 coats it seems sufficient enough, I do not like heavy oil finishes or wax impregnanted finishes.
    I don't like the the way they do the wolfs neck finish at all it almost seems like a satin finish, I sand down my wolf necks till I get the feeling I like then wipe it down with the tung oil,it's just my personal preferance.
    Rol.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

05.09.09 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

many thanks to all who replied.i think i now have enough info to wokk with.i will probably go with the tung oil.thanks rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Originally posted by rcrimm:
    Peavey uses "lemon oil" only, on the Wolfgang necks.

I recommend the Peavey lemon oil all the time though, and haven't had any complaints.
    The original question was regarding FINISHING a neck, not CLEANING it.

Of course, one would assume that a quick cleaning would be in order before finishing it, but I believe he already indicated he has a new raw neck.

Lemon Oil alone won't do jack sh*t to protect the wood of a raw neck. Peavey uses much more than lemon oil on their necks while finishing them.

Other than that, your post is right on the mark. I use lemon oil probably every other month to clean my necks too. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rcrimm:
    Peavey uses "lemon oil" only, on the Wolfgang necks.

I recommend the Peavey lemon oil all the time though, and haven't had any complaints.
    The original question was regarding FINISHING a neck, not CLEANING it.

Of course, one would assume that a quick cleaning would be in order before finishing it, but I believe he already indicated he has a new raw neck.

Lemon Oil alone won't do jack sh*t to protect the wood of a raw neck. Peavey uses much more than lemon oil on their necks while finishing them.

Other than that, your post is right on the mark. I use lemon oil probably every other month to clean my necks too. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Dude, is there anything anybody can possibly say that you don't vehemently deny as fact?

I guess since rcrimm works at Peavey, he's just a cog in the conspiracy machine. Damn him!!! Of course, maybe the mindless Stormtroopers have secretly snuck some other ingredients into the finishing process. Everybody knows that nobody at Peavey even looks at those guitars after they roll off of the assembly line. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Sorry to get off topic, I just find your rantings and self proclaimed efficianado status amusing I guess. But hey, without someone around that questions everything and adamantly denies what all of us lemmings believe to be true, the corporate meanies could tell us anything and we would never question it.

Please understand that I mean no offense and don't intend to start a flame war. Just couldn't contain my laughter anymore. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Dude, is there anything anybody can possibly say that you don't vehemently deny as fact?

Actually, Rol was the one who brought up the "satin-like" finish of the Wolfgang, not me. I just felt that he mentioned it so passively, that it may have slipped through the cracks.

And that's also why I tried to "cushion" my response, because I wasn't clear if the gentleman was insinuating that Peavey "finishes" their necks with lemon oil (which is not a sealant)or simply verifying that Peavey cleans their necks with lemon oil. That's all.

Just worried about the newbies. Like I've said somewhere else on here, I wish I'd had this board available back in the early nineties, when I was honing my ear and making bad purchasing decisions. You never know who you might help. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Prages, since majestic is kind of new to the links he might or might not be aware that rcrimm works for peavey.
    As a matter of fact the question of finishing necks came up in the peavey forum a long time ago.
    At that time A.J. responded without much detail, by saying the necks are dipped in an oil/wax mixture after finishing. I assume they're dried and buffed after that.
    I don't know if that's still the procedure, and I don't know if rcrimm is aware of the finishing procedure, but I assume that working for peavey, he would be.
    Majestic obviously says what's on his mind, which a lot of us do here at the links, but in this case you'd have to agree. I can't believe peavey would finish a wolfgang neck and then send it out to the consumer with nothing but a coat of lemon oil.
    Like he says, lemon oil's a good cleaner, but offers no protection whatsoever for sealing and finishing a raw maple neck.
    The earlier wolf necks did have a satin feel to them like Rol says, so I can only assume that they left the factory the same way the EBMM necks did. With an oil/wax coating.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was referring to maintenance, sorry. Lemon oil is an oily mineral-spirits solvent with a lemon scent added, and is a very short-lived maintenance product. For finishing, Roger Sadowsky and other luthiers usually recommend boiled linseed oil over tung oil, which can tend to build up and get gummy over time.

According to my source at the guitar plant lemon oil is all that is used on the Wolf, period. This is because that is how Ed wants his guitar. He didn't want any finish at all, but longevity/maintenance is not a problem for a rock star I guess. If a neck has a problem, he just gets out another one.

I checked with AJ, and he doesn't remember saying anything about an oil/wax dip in the manufacturing process. If he did, he was working with erroneous information at the time.
    Roger C

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rcrimm:

According to my source at the guitar plant lemon oil is all that is used on the Wolf, period. This is because that is how Ed wants his guitar. He didn't want any finish at all, but longevity/maintenance is not a problem for a rock star I guess. If a neck has a problem, he just gets out another one.

I checked with AJ, and he doesn't remember saying anything about an oil/wax dip in the manufacturing process. If he did, he was working with erroneous information at the time.
    I beg to differ here, but whatever they are putting on the WG necks they are not like having no finish at all, they are built up with something
    cause I've sanded it off more than one neck, the finishes are dam near satin on any WG I've held and that is quite a few,
    I posted about this on the PD before it got closed down ( I wonder why?)
    How many coats of whatever do they put on those things??
    Rol.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could be Rols, but that was what I was told.

Most everyone is either on vacation or getting ready for Summer NAMM right now, so I couldn't check with the product manager today.
    I will check on it and get the definitive answer as soon as I can and post it. I don't know what exactly is in the "lemon oil" we use. It may well have tung oil or wax in it. I do know that whatever it is, that is ALL we use.
    Roger C