Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Home Recording?

Eruption
    Last Online

07.14.10 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For those of you that do this, what software do you use (like Cakewalk Guitar Studio, etc)? And how do you go about creating drum beats?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

The best way to do good home recordings is with a stand alone hard disk recorder like this or this

These are about as good as they come, and there's cheaper, quality units out there. I've found that the computer is good for digital editing, but there are other guys that swear by computer based recording. I've always found that a harddisk recorder or ADAT works best for me.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

As far a drums go, you can either get a unit with the drums in it like the Zoom unit Tribb has, or you can use a drum module, or software like Acid to do them.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For several years, I used a Fostex DMT8-VL, and found it to be a good sounding unit and very user friendly. In the past year, I've moved over to computer based recording. The truth of the matter is, when all is said and done, I think that if you already own a fairly modern computer it would be cheaper to get a software package that already has reverbs, delays, compressors, etc...built in, as opposed to buying a stand alone unit, and then a decent reverb processor, compressor, and the like.

As far as the software I use, it's Cakewalk Guitar Trax Pro. It has 32 stereo tracks, a bunch of different reverbs, compressors, flanges, choruses, and a parametric EQ. The screen shot looks just like a mixing board, so it's pretty simple to use. It also has extensive editing features (something that the stand-alone units aren't known for).

For drums, I use an Alesis SR 16 drum machine. Again, it's just my opinion, but for the money, I don't think there is a better drum machine out there.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've tried various methods, and right now I'm using the cheapest ProTools product, the Mbox. It's more of a one-man-band solution, since you can only record two inputs at a time, but it's relatively cheap, has great-sounding mic pre's, and I love the Protools LE software. I use a software sampler called Battery for drums, along with some good acoustic drum samples.

I agree with the poster above, in that if you already have a reasonable computer setup going, it can be less expensive to go the computer route than the standalone route, but obviously there are pros and cons with each.

hope this helps a bit,
    ratter.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ratter:
    I've tried various methods, and right now I'm using the cheapest ProTools product, the Mbox. It's more of a one-man-band solution, since you can only record two inputs at a time, but it's relatively cheap, has great-sounding mic pre's, and I love the Protools LE software. I use a software sampler called Battery for drums, along with some good acoustic drum samples.

I agree with the poster above, in that if you already have a reasonable computer setup going, it can be less expensive to go the computer route than the standalone route, but obviously there are pros and cons with each.

hope this helps a bit,
    ratter.
    Ratter, can you link me to where I could find this drum sample you mention?
    I record with Pro Tools, and have been using the built-in MIDI drums that come with the software to create a click and to compose drum tracks. The drum sounds are pretty sterile, and I could use real drum samples to warm things up a bit.
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    I record with Pro Tools, and have been using the built-in MIDI drums that come with the software to create a click and to compose drum tracks. The drum sounds are pretty sterile, and I could use real drum samples to warm things up a bit.
    Sure man. There are a million sources out there for drum samples. The most common way to get them is on cd's, offered by various companies and in various formats. They can either be just a collection of audio files (like .wav or .aif) or they can be in a more proprietary format to be read by something like an Akai sampler, for instance. They also sometimes come with drum loops in addition to the single-hit samples. Here's an example of what I'm talking about...

http://www.ilio.com/ilio/dpdrums/index.html

There are other options, too. The Battery drum sampler comes with several "kits" (sets of samples) ranging from electronic type stuff to more vintage, pounding zep type stuff. They also sell their samples separately. Another company doing this is Wizoo. They create samples for the LM-4 drum sampler that works with Cubase. Here's another link:

http://www.native-instruments.com/in...?soundline1_us (scroll down to studio drums)

There are tons more out there. I think what I might do in your position is listen to the audio samples that most of these places have on their websites and pick the one that's got the vibe and sound that you like and then e-mail them and tell them what software setup you've got going to find out if they offer their samples in a format that will jive with your equipment.

Oh, and don't forget to try futzing with what you've already got. Take the drums that you've got and compress and/or eq the hell out of them, or run them through a fuzz or a fuzz and a flange...see if you can mangle them into something cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hope this helps,
    ratter.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The computer route is cheaper, and works just as well if not better than hard disk in some cases.
    The advantage with a hardisk recorder is that it's portable, which I'm finding to be extemely handy. Taking it to a rehearsal studio to do tracks, or recording live at a club with digital quality is great.
    I'd love to own one of those yamaha units, but my pocket book says no.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ratter:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    Sure man. There are a million sources out there for drum samples. The most common way to get them is on cd's, offered by various companies and in various formats. They can either be just a collection of audio files (like .wav or .aif) or they can be in a more proprietary format to be read by something like an Akai sampler, for instance. They also sometimes come with drum loops in addition to the single-hit samples. Here's an example of what I'm talking about...

http://www.ilio.com/ilio/dpdrums/index.html

There are other options, too. The Battery drum sampler comes with several "kits" (sets of samples) ranging from electronic type stuff to more vintage, pounding zep type stuff. They also sell their samples separately. Another company doing this is Wizoo. They create samples for the LM-4 drum sampler that works with Cubase. Here's another link:

http://www.native-instruments.com/in...?soundline1_us (scroll down to studio drums)

There are tons more out there. I think what I might do in your position is listen to the audio samples that most of these places have on their websites and pick the one that's got the vibe and sound that you like and then e-mail them and tell them what software setup you've got going to find out if they offer their samples in a format that will jive with your equipment.

Oh, and don't forget to try futzing with what you've already got. Take the drums that you've got and compress and/or eq the hell out of them, or run them through a fuzz or a fuzz and a flange...see if you can mangle them into something cool. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hope this helps,
    ratter.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks a bunch! I will be checking these sites out today. Thanks for the tip about tweaking the drum sounds with compression and other effects. I will play with that too!
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hey ive got a question.....isnt there software that can turn your comp into a simulated amp? i thought i sw one called amp farm or somethimng where it models a certain amp and even has the amp control face on the computer screen. is that software still around?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

I use my computer and a very inexpensive software called FASoft n-Track Studio which works amazingly well for what little it costs (about $70-80 with EQ/Compessor plug-ins).

Right now, all I can do is record one stereo track at a time because of the soundcard I use (a standard-type PC soundcard: Turtle Beach Montego II). Microphones hooked into a mixer (Mackie 1604) to the soundcard allows for excellent multi-tracking and with better microphones the sound you can get is limitless!! I'm purchasing some decent condenser microphones next month to enhance my recordings a bit because better mics and better mic placement = fuller sound!

I've looked into getting an Echo Audio "soundcard", such as the Layla, which allows you to record 8 tracks at once, or an ADAT to do the same thing. However, I really don't have the studio space (yet) to setup for recording separately like this so at this point it would do me no good because everyone in the band would be in such close proximity for "live" multi-track recording that the mics would bleed into each other making the track separation nearly useless anyway. Although someone I just recently started jamming with owns two ADAT machines so we might start experimenting with that soon.

But for right now, n-Track and my soundcard and mixer work great for multi-track recording at home! I highly suggest everyone visit HomeRecording.com. Lots of useful information and they have a discussion board just like this one to exchange info and tips.

As for a drum machine, I play drums so I have never really had a need for one. Plus, being a drummer, I really don't like the sound or the perfectly timed beat they produce. Makes everything sound too much like pop music. However, if you're a guitarist wanting to record demos, a drum machine is a great tool! I fortunately can do both!!

[ April 10, 2002 at 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Fontcow ]</p>

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ha ha, I'm using an Amstrad Studio 100
    But it's just for messing around on. I'm not doing any serious recording.
    I just lay a guitar track down then record bass on track two. Mostly VH songs.
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't do enough home recording but am just starting to get used to my setup. I'm using Calkwalk...actually its called Sonar in this version for whatever reason. There's a lot you can do with it and I've only really touched upon them at this point. But just like Fontcow here, I only have one input into my soundcard. So I've got a Maxie mixer going before it. Most of the time I just play around with my Pod through it. Got this drum looping software called Fruity Loops that is easy to use. Though I hear one called Acid is better. Anywho, been happy with the little recording I've done with all of it.

[ April 10, 2002 at 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Steely ]</p>
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is another amp modeler out there for the PC called Revalver. The problem with this one is it uses Direct X so there is some latency between the note you hit and the sound coming out. Not good for real time recording. However, you CAN record you guitar straight into you computer, with any recording software that uses Direct X type of effects, and add the amps, effects, etc. AFTER you record and it sounds great. It's a great toy, but if you guys are like me, I like recording my guitar LIVE.
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com