Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all. I have a question you guys (Rol, ect.) could help me with. I have a guitar body routed for a vintage trem bridge. How do I go about installing a Floyd to get that EVH mounting? Do I need to route it out at all? Thanks guys! -Steve
    "We don't need no stinkin' click!" -AL<br /><br />Here’s my 10 cents. My 2 cents is free. A nuisance, who sent, you send for me? -Eminem/The Eminem Show<br /><br />No. Now take off my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they breakup. -Adam Sandler/The Wedding Singer<br /><br />He's got huge, sharp, pointy....look at the bones! -John Cleese/Monty Python<br /><br />You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?!?-Adam Sandler/Happy Gilmore<br /><br />Tell 'em I want some snatch by the pool!-?/Slap Shot<br /><br />For such a small town, it sure has alot of assholes! -Classic bumper sticker!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Keep in mind that Ed played with his Floyd blocked, which means it didn't float, nor easily pull up. However it did accomodate the D Tuna if that's what you are into. You will most likely need to recess the body just a little to accomodate for the height of the bridge to neck ratio. Trust me, it is much better to route a light recess in the body than to shim the neck to gain the height. You can get all the supplies you need (templates, directions, route bits) at www.stewmac.com. I was nervous when I installed my first Floyd, but it really isn't that bad as long as you are patient.. Measure twice, cut once. Remember that when cutting at the nut for your locking nut! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ August 26, 2002, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Agius9:
    Hey all. I have a question you guys (Rol, ect.) could help me with. I have a guitar body routed for a vintage trem bridge. How do I go about installing a Floyd to get that EVH mounting? Do I need to route it out at all? Thanks guys! -Steve
    you should route the trem cavity for a floyd, although the floyd will fit and operate in the vintage trem hole it doesn't have enough room to make up the scaling it needs, so you have 2 options
    1. route the vintage trem hole to a floyd route

2. mount the floyd in the vinatge trem hole and then take about 1\16" off the butt end of the neck joint to compensate for the scaling factor
    (25 1\2" from the front of the nut to the midpoint on the saddles.)

When I make my Frankenstrats I always started with a vintage trem body and just mounted the floyd into without rerouting it, I chose to elongate the neck pocket a little, it was actually easier that way but not bragging or anything I've had a little practice at things like that over the years [img]tongue.gif[/img] (just a little)
    so if your confident in your slelf have at but either way works fine, also if you want a floyd
    I have one I can send ya, I don't use it anymore,
    email me and give me your addy and I'll get it off to ya
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

also if you want a floyd
    Rol.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I meant Floyd template [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Agius9:
    you should route the trem cavity for a floyd, although the floyd will fit and operate in the vintage trem hole it doesn't have enough room to make up the scaling it needs, so you have 2 options
    1. route the vintage trem hole to a floyd route

2. mount the floyd in the vinatge trem hole and then take about 1\16" off the butt end of the neck joint to compensate for the scaling factor
    (25 1\2" from the front of the nut to the midpoint on the saddles.)

When I make my Frankenstrats I always started with a vintage trem body and just mounted the floyd into without rerouting it, I chose to elongate the neck pocket a little, it was actually easier that way but not bragging or anything I've had a little practice at things like that over the years [img]tongue.gif[/img] (just a little)
    so if your confident in your slelf have at but either way works fine, also if you want a floyd
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hey Rol,
    Did Ed's lawyers actually contact you about striping guitars and selling them on the internet??? I saw your name pop up on VH News Desk about them bearing down on folks providing such a fine service. Just curious

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

][/QUOTE]Hey Rol,
    Did Ed's lawyers actually contact you about striping guitars and selling them on the internet??? I saw your name pop up on VH News Desk about them bearing down on folks providing such a fine service. Just curious [/QB][/QUOTE]

yes they contacted everyone they knew about, Me, Ed Roman, GMW the worthless Meanstreet guitars
    etc etc. but you can still get them anytime you want from GMW or Roman they have enough clout to be ignored I guess.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

]
    Hey Rol,
    Did Ed's lawyers actually contact you about striping guitars and selling them on the internet??? I saw your name pop up on VH News Desk about them bearing down on folks providing such a fine service. Just curious
    [/QUOTE]

yes they contacted everyone they knew about, Me, Ed Roman, GMW the worthless Meanstreet guitars
    etc etc. but you can still get them anytime you want from GMW or Roman they have enough clout to be ignored I guess.
    Rol.[/QB][/QUOTE]
    It's all a crock! Ed should be flattered instead of punking out about it... [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

When I make my Frankenstrats I always started with a vintage trem body and just mounted the floyd into without rerouting it, I chose to elongate the neck pocket a little
    Rol.
    Can you explain this a little more? I like the concept of doing the routing in the neck pocket, but will it make that moch of a difference in the action? My experience has been that the floyd bumps up the action about 1/32-1/16 when flush on the body. From what you are saying if you elongate the pocket by the distance (1/16), the action should lower itself? I want to try this out, but I want to make sure I am understanding what you are saying.
    Many thanks! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rolsguitars:

When I make my Frankenstrats I always started with a vintage trem body and just mounted the floyd into without rerouting it, I chose to elongate the neck pocket a little
    Rol.
    Can you explain this a little more? I like the concept of doing the routing in the neck pocket, but will it make that moch of a difference in the action? My experience has been that the floyd bumps up the action about 1/32-1/16 when flush on the body. From what you are saying if you elongate the pocket by the distance (1/16), the action should lower itself? I want to try this out, but I want to make sure I am understanding what you are saying.
    </font>[/QUOTE]HI,

by elongating I meant routing the point the the neck buts up against, *not* deepening the pocket so the neck sits lower in the cavity but moving the neck closer to the Floyd, the reason you are supposed to re rout the trem cavities for a Floyd is because the vintage trem hole does not let you move the floyd close enough to get the correct 25 1\2" scaling and I was mistaken it will be 1\8th" not 1\16th" to far back using the original vintage routing.
    As for the action you are correct the Floyd raises the action but this is compensated by a 5 degree neck pocket angle, if you know you are going to put a floyd in a body that had a vintage trem you rout a 5 degree angle to the pocket, you can also just leave it alone and shim it up, and actually even with the angled neck pocket you sometimes still have to shim
    hope I didn't confuse you
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by el_jalepeno:

Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]HI,

by elongating I meant routing the point the the neck buts up against, *not* deepening the pocket so the neck sits lower in the cavity but moving the neck closer to the Floyd, the reason you are supposed to re rout the trem cavities for a Floyd is because the vintage trem hole does not let you move the floyd close enough to get the correct 25 1\2" scaling and I was mistaken it will be 1\8th" not 1\16th" to far back using the original vintage routing.
    As for the action you are correct the Floyd raises the action but this is compensated by a 5 degree neck pocket angle, if you know you are going to put a floyd in a body that had a vintage trem you rout a 5 degree angle to the pocket, you can also just leave it alone and shim it up, and actually even with the angled neck pocket you sometimes still have to shim
    Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks. Understood completely. I may try it out this weekend for shits and grins. The 5 degrees makes me a little nervous though. Trial and error withy a couple of slivers of guitar pick! Thanks again. I'll flame you if I ruin the body I have [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by el_jalepeno:

Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]HI,

Rol.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks. Understood completely. I may try it out this weekend for shits and grins. The 5 degrees makes me a little nervous though. Trial and error withy a couple of slivers of guitar pick! Thanks again. I'll flame you if I ruin the body I have [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]heh, don't flame me your the one doing the work, put your floyd in and check the measure ment for the scaling yourself, bodies can be different,
    25 1\2" from the nut to the saddles.
    Rol.