Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is this a good amp? Looks like it. 30W at a 10" speaker. Sounds nice. Anyone know? Thanks!

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you're using a guitar with single coils forget it. If you're using humbuckers it's better, but nothing to get excited about. It's solid state and hasn't got a lot of gain, or power as far as marshalls go. If you're gonna play it in the bedroom it's probably fine, but if you want to use it with a band, uh uh.
    You'll need some kind of pedal to increase the gain noticably. Changing the speaker might help some, but we've been down this road before. When it comes to amps Kenyon, unless you're lucky enough to come across a good used amp at a good price, you pretty well get what you pay for.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I don't have a band, so that isn't a problem. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Just a bedroom. And I know you get what you pay for. But geez, I wish things weren't so frickin' expensive! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Wish I were my age (18) about 20 years ago. Maybe I'd have gotten a better deal. Yeah right. But what pedal do you mean? A volume pedal? They aren't too expensive. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] When I get a summer job, it'll be for nothing but gas and guitar accessories!!!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Thanks once again!

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kenyon, sorry I couldn't be a little more help on the amp. If you're just looking for a little practice amp then that amp is probably fine. It's just that going by your last posts on your other amp I was under the impression that you were looking for a lot more volume. The marshall you refer to is still louder than your crate will be, and will sound much more like a marshall than a crate will obviously. For what you describe, it may be a good choice after all, especially with the head phone function. I'm sure your parents will appreciate that..lol
    Like I said earlier though, you might be better off with a guitar using humbuckers through that amp to get a sound closer to what you probably hear in your head.
    You can get a no. of different pedals, but a volume pedal isn't one that I'm referring to. That will only drive the preamp a bit harder if at all and won't change your sound since the preamp is solid state and doesn't react like a tube preamp would.
    I was referring to a gain pedal like a TS-10 by Ibanez, or an overdrive pedal, made by a no. of diff. companies. They'll increase your gain as well without damaging the solid state preamp. As to which pedal to use, you'll have to try a few out till you find one you like. Then again, you may wind up being perfectly happy with the sound of the amp just the way it is.
    I know what it's like to start off with low end equipment. I played a 25. guitar for over a year before moving up to an 85. guitar which I had for another 2 years. It was another 4 years till I could work my way up to my first strat. Most young guys today start off with a strat and go from there. As an amp I used an old record player that I wired up for a guitar chord. Do you have the violins out for my sob story yet..lol
    So you see 20 years ago you didn't get better equipment unless you had money as well. The low priced equipment you get today is much better quality than it was years ago.
    Good luck Kenyon.

[ April 24, 2001 at 08:13 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]