Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVH or not?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yo-ho,

Anybody have a good feel for a price on a used export Axis? I stumbled across one today. Could hardly believe it...first one I've ever seen...nice red quilt, hardtail(!), maybe 9-9.5/10. Just needs cleaned up and setup. It was marked $999 (pfft). I can talk them down to maybe $850. Whatcha'all think? Good deal?

I completely forgot to find out whether there was a case, but oh well...

Mike

[ February 19, 2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: ratter ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ratter:
    Yo-ho,

Anybody have a good feel for a price on a used export Axis? I stumbled across one today. Could hardly believe it...first one I've ever seen...nice red quilt, hardtail(!), maybe 9-9.5/10. Just needs cleaned up and setup. It was marked $999 (pfft). I can talk them down to maybe $850. Whatcha'all think? Good deal?

I completely forgot to find out whether there was a case, but oh well...

Mike
    hi depends on condition, if you are talking about the model that has the selector in the EVH position and no contour on the back (Musicman Axis EX) they go from $1200 to $1600 in japan in mint to new.
    if my math is right [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] they were asking 100,000 yen for mine and I got it for about $800 (with case) U.S I think, hell I can't remember I buy too much shit. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Rol.

[ February 18, 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: rolsguitars ]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Rol. The story has a twist though!

Something about the guitar was not right, and it was buggin' me. Then it occured to me (after I had come back home)...the back of the headstock had the "made in san luis" on it! So...no "Axis", made in USA, switch in the right place, "tone" knob! Whoa!

Hardtail EVH without the sig! I can live with that! Is there a name for these transition models?

$925 w/ old-style tolex case.

[ February 18, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: ratter ]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Rol. The story has a twist though!

Something about the guitar was not right, and it was buggin' me. Then it occured to me (after I had come back home)...the back of the headstock had the "made in san luis" on it! So...no "Axis", made in USA, switch in the right place, "tone" knob! Whoa!

Hardtail EVH without the sig! I can live with that! Is there a name for these transition models?

$925 w/ old-style tolex case.

the AXIS EX's don't have anything on the back of the peghead, they also don't say Axisex anywhere on them, but you are correct neither do they say
    made in San Loius Obisbo !!
    According to MM there was a slight transition between the EVH sig Model and the changes that were made to it to become the Axis so yes some left MM just like Eds but with no sig , however it is my opinion and my opinion only that these are worth no more than the latter Axis versions without that sig on the peghead, and used axis go for $800 plus , my axis quilt I had a few years ago I got for $850 mint with trem, so take it from there. Again that is just my opinion I do not know the collectability of that peice but I did see one on ebay a few years back that was not an EX but Eds without the sig made in 96 and it got $1200ish mint.
    Rol.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rol, I think you're probably exactly right. I originally offered $800 for it...more than I wanted to spend, but it has a real nice quilt top and there isn't a scratch on it. They wouldn't do $800, only $850. And there was no case with it. But then after I realized what it was, I figured $850 was worth it. I could've gotten the plastic molded MM case for cheap, but I don'ty really like those, so I went with the G&G, which I've always liked.

What I'm really stoked about is the fact that the specs are right. My EVH slays me....the only thing not to love about it is the hassle of changing strings on the Floyd. But the Axis always left me a bit cold, with the neck shape, and the pickup switch down out of reach. But this way, I now have a hardtail EVH too! Gimme a Sharpie..I'll put the signature back! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More weirdness...this is what EB/MM told me when I asked about the serial number:

Hey Mike,
    Thank you for contacting Ernie Ball.
    That serial number comes up as an actual Van Halen guitar.  it could be that someone changed the neck on it.
    Enjoy and thank you for supporting Music Man!
    Tyler
    Seems highly unlikely that someone woulda changed the neck. Where else would you get a neck in the right color, with no Axis or EVH markings on the front of the headstock, and the 'made in CA' marking on the back?!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

More weirdness...this is what EB/MM told me when I asked about the serial number:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
    Hey Mike,
    Thank you for contacting Ernie Ball.
    That serial number comes up as an actual Van Halen guitar.  it could be that someone changed the neck on it.
    Enjoy and thank you for supporting Music Man!
    Tyler
    Seems highly unlikely that someone woulda changed the neck. Where else would you get a neck in the right color, with no Axis or EVH markings on the front of the headstock, and the 'made in CA' marking on the back?! </font>[/QUOTE]ok, if the neck was damaged it could have been replaced and if it was replaced *after* the fallout with EVH then the sig may have not been replaced because of some legalities or the fact that EB doesn't want a thing to do with EVH and that wouldn't suprise me.
    Now if it is truly an EVH as MM says, I'd buy it, send the neck to Lee Garver at www.gmwguitars.com
    and have him put the sig on the peghead, and then you have just increased the value of that guitar by as much as 3 times.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the ser. # matches that of an original they should also have given you the original color and date it left the factory.
    Do those match?
    I can't see anyone doing that and purposely decreasing the value that much.
    Even if the neck was destroyed, EBMM had a policy years ago that if you returned the body with the ser. plate intact and the damaged or broken neck, the neck would be replaced with an original(for a fee).

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very interesting! Maybe I will call MM and see what's up. I already bought it, btw.

It never occured to me that maybe the neck was a replacement. If it is, they did a damn good job. The neck pocket is perfectly tight and the neck is a great birdseye/flame...much moreso than my 'other' EVH.

Rol, wouldn't putting the sig on there be waayyyy illegal? Even though it technically should have a sig, seems wrong to do that...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Latest from EB/MM:

Hey Mike,
    I showed the pictures to my boss, and he said that there was a short period between the EVH and the Axis where they didn't have a name for it, but they were still made.  So it looks like yours is the original neck.  You cannot buy the logo to put on another neck, and if it was a replacement, they always put the same logo on.  Basically, you have a pretty rare piece.
    Take care,
    Tyler
    For whatever reason, he doesn't feel like giving me the date. Oh well! Either way, I am loving it...

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Congrats, enjoy, and take care of it. That sucker will be worth big $$ down the road me thinks.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Latest from EB/MM:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
    Hey Mike,
    I showed the pictures to my boss, and he said that there was a short period between the EVH and the Axis where they didn't have a name for it, but they were still made.  So it looks like yours is the original neck.  You cannot buy the logo to put on another neck, and if it was a replacement, they always put the same logo on.  Basically, you have a pretty rare piece.
    Take care,
    Tyler

For whatever reason, he doesn't feel like giving me the date. Oh well! Either way, I am loving it... </font>[/QUOTE]If you want, email me the no.
    I can get you the date.

Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It would be cool, the rarest of the rare EVH's. The non signed version...$$$$$
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very interesting! Maybe I will call MM and see what's up. I already bought it, btw.

It never occured to me that maybe the neck was a replacement. If it is, they did a damn good job. The neck pocket is perfectly tight and the neck is a great birdseye/flame...much moreso than my 'other' EVH.

Rol, wouldn't putting the sig on there be waayyyy illegal? Even though it technically should have a sig, seems wrong to do that...
    Hi,

I think you misunderstood me,
    if the guitar had originally had a sig on it and the neck was broke or replaced for whatever reason and it was replaced with a real mm neck
    then no, it wouldn't be wrong at all if it was an EVH and was supposed to have an EVH sig.
    Now having said that, if you now know what I told you was correct about the mm's having a transition where they went out without the sig and you now put a sig on it knowing what you know and tried to sell it as a sig model, yea that would be wrong.
    And as I said before you may have a rare guitar but IMO it's not worth anymore than what you paid for it, collectability is a strange thing, people would have to be seeking that thing to make it collectable and I really don't think they are.
    just like the Rare evhmm colors, Green and solid black are the 2 super High dollar collectables as they were the most rare (60 green and 15 black were made if my memory is right)
    but Brown, turquiose, Pink and natural are also very rare evhmm colors but they don't get any more than say a purple or red would, and purple,red and amber were the most produced (amber gets a little more cause that's what Ed was most seen with).
    anyway I know I have bored you all to tears so I'll shut up now and all facts and figures are from memory so I could be a little off.
    Rol.